Snowtrooper cowl material uk?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Geekygeek2020

Hi all. First post.

Looking for a little advice. I have a snowtrooper helmet but looking to replace the cowl with a more screen accurate one.

After reading through previous forums I've discovered the material is either;

Kiss laminate
Pvc vinyl
Marine vinyl

Can anyone reccomend the best to use and where I can get it in the uk?

Many thanks.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jaffa007

Hi, was only reading the other day about these (the Ralph Mc’s) maybe something of use [emoji1417]
IMG_7536.png

Geekygeek2020

Ive seen the Kiss Laminate is it the glossy white? or is there a slightly less shiny white?
So the example sheet I got sent arrived looking like a matt white however you peel the sheet open (its 2 layers together). Once you peel it open it reveals a white shiny gloss material. Hope this makes sense.
So its left me with a dilemma, keep the matt look or peel and have the really glossy white look.

Yorkie Fett

Sr Member
So the example sheet I got sent arrived looking like a matt white however you peel the sheet open (its 2 layers together). Once you peel it open it reveals a white shiny gloss material. Hope this makes sense.
So its left me with a dilemma, keep the matt look or peel and have the really glossy white look.
The cowls on the screen used helmets were two layers thick, so does that mean they just cut it to shape without peeling the 2 layers apart?
Pictures of helmets seem to have glossy cowls, so does that mean they initially separated the two layers (if the gloss side is on the ‘inside’) then attached two layers back together again?
Of course I’m using the assumption that this Kiss vinyl is the same stuff used on the originals?

Geekygeek2020

The cowls on the screen used helmets were two layers thick, so does that mean they just cut it to shape without peeling the 2 layers apart?
Pictures of helmets seem to have glossy cowls, so does that mean they initially separated the two layers (if the gloss side is on the ‘inside’) then attached two layers back together again?
Of course I’m using the assumption that this Kiss vinyl is the same stuff used on the originals?
My initial plans were to separate then stick the 2 back together with the glossy side showing however I'm not sure if I'll try that. I may look at some fabric glue spray for that job. Although my preferred option is just to roll with one layer of glossy cowl. I'll see what arrives in the post and decide at that point. Pretty nervous about taking the current cowl off but to be honest the whole process should be easy if I use the current cowl as a template to cut around. Just worried the 1 layer will look too soft.

Last edited:

Geekygeek2020

Hi all.

A little update to the cowl scenario.

So I ordered a 1m batch of kiss laminate from fabric uk which cost me about £10. The material is actually doubled as its 2 sheets sandwiched together so you end up with (after peeling apart) 2 one metre square sheets.
Long story short, I removed the original cowl, placed it onto the laminate to draw a template then cut out the new cowl. I then used 2 part epoxy glue to stick it on.
This was my first time using material and glue so there are things I would have done differently now that its finished but I can easily remove the cowl and start again as I have lots of material left over

Photos attached show the horrible original cowl v the new kiss laminate. It's not going to win any awards but I love how it turned out v how it arrived.

I may decide to weather it in the future.

Attachments

• 20210202_124047.jpg
    20210202_124047.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210202_124103.jpg
    20210202_124103.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210202_122157.jpg
    20210202_122157.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210202_121516.jpg
    20210202_121516.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: