Snow Queen from Narnia

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Guri, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Guri

Guri Sr Member

I've been making a Snow Queen from Narnia costume.

Just go to my main page, and I have a link to the in progress photos:

Click Here.

Here's the finished dress:

[​IMG]

Here's the finished crown:

[​IMG]

More photos when I put it on - and there will be a snow storm here on Friday, so I'll have to take some shots outside for sure..

Julia

2. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Woa nice.

3. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

YES. I am so glad you decided to do this outfit. Your one of if not the only person I can think of that could do it proper justice, both in attention to detail and in how close you look to the actress.

4. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

You could be twins.

5. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Beautiful work, as always, Julia.

;-)

6. Guri

Guri Sr Member

7. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't get over how much you look like her... :love

8. Guri

Guri Sr Member

*heh* yeah, that's why I decided to do this costume - I'm not really in love with it on it's own merits... which is going to make getting the motivation to do the needed upgrades a bit difficult. I need to completely redo the crown taller and more spikes, and the bodice needs to be stiffer... and the fur was just a quick 5 minute job at cutting because I needed SOMETHING...

I'm sort of liking the look of the dress the way it is - the texture. Mine looks a bit more like ice than the movie's version which reminds me of cob webs...

We'll see... if I have another reason to wear it, I'll do what I can to fix it up...

Guri

9. Skalen Fehl

Skalen Fehl Well-Known Member

Wow. You were the stunt double, right? Great job. :D

10. optinerd

optinerd New Member

Fantastic, Julia. This dress looks even better in person...congrats. :D

11. penwiper

penwiper Well-Known Member

Okay, that's just creepy.

Wonderful.

Gen

12. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, what a resemblance.

You NEED to do the outfit the Gabriel wore at the end of Constantine.

Then post pix plz. B):thumbsup

13. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

Julia, as soon as I saw pictures of the Snow Queen I thought of you. I just KNEW you'd make one. Looks fabulous. The likeness is uncanny.

14. Clone-extra1

Clone-extra1 Well-Known Member

Looks great.

15. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Fantastic job. You ARE the Snow Queen.

:)

16. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Thanks everyone, you're all so generous, considering how I feel about the crown and the * rug I'm wearing. *L* Hopefully I will find another place to wear it so I can get the motivation to upgrade.

I googled it and could only find this:

CLICK

Is that the one? Anyone have any better photos? It looks very doable from that photo, except those wings look like a bear to make. And I'm not sure I'd want to cut my hair... maybe a long haired version of it. *heh*

I guess I should rent the movie. :angel

Guri

17. Nexus6

The only one I currently have at work is a larger version of what you found:

[​IMG]

If no one else posts any, I'll put some screencaps up tonight. As far as the wings go, they aren't always visible - - - only when she "manifests" them. ;)

18. WookieeGunner

If you do rent it, I would suggest you do it on a "kids night out".

And this might get a bit technical, but here is a discussion on wings:

http://p086.ezboard.com/ftheleagueofheroes...icID=2166.topic

19. Guri

Guri Sr Member

egads.. Wing construction looks just about as hard as I expected they would be... Thanks for the references, I've saved the link and photo. Thanks a bunch Nexus for anything you can get - but there is no rush, I'm only CONSIDERING this... :D

If I do rent the movie, it'll not only be to watch after the kids are in bed, but it will have to be when my huz is out on business - the reason we haven't seen it is he doesn't like those creepy kinds of movies. But watching it alone? Hmm... :confused

Guri

20. Cutest_Sandgirl

Cutest_Sandgirl Well-Known Member

As soon as I saw trailers for Narnia and how much the White Witch kinda parallels Galadriel, I had hoped you would do her costume.

It looks fantastic.. I hope you do her battle garb. I love the gold lionesque crown and the stole made out of Aslan's hair. :D

You truely look incredible. Good luck on the rest of it. :D

21. Dreadmel

Dreadmel New Member

Julia, I've seen your work on other sites, and as usual, your talent is awesome.

22. ShezaPropstitute

ShezaPropstitute New Member

I think it's unanimous -- those who have seen Tilda Swinton's White Witch all thought "hmm... wonder if Julia's gonna tackle this one next".

Eeeek. That battle dress is chain maile.

Only one nit-picky detail -- your hair is MUUUUUUCH too nice for the White Witch. Her hair scared me. *shudder.* Wigs are your friend.

Can't wait to see what you do next with this.

Darc

23. Nexus6

I adjusted the lighting on some of them, to help bring out details:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

/end thread hijack :D

24. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Darc, I actually do have a wig I planned on roughing up and putting it in my hair to add volume and mess - but I simply ran out of time... Thanks for the compliment though. :D

Nexus, Thanks a 100x for all those... That is a fascinating costume - all the ties, zippers, and I especially love the hospital bracelets. This (besides the wings) is very, very a doable. In fact, I just saw some white stretch fabric that would be perfect for the shirts and under layer of leggings... hmmm....

Guri

25. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Very nice.

:love

26. ShezaPropstitute

ShezaPropstitute New Member

I just love how you colored those fabrics and layered them for that effect. It reads wonderfully in your pics.

But you DO realize that small children will now run screaming from you, right? :lol Tilda Swinton was concerned about that as well. Said in an interview that she remembered Margaret Hamillton (Wicked Witch of the West) saying that children were backing away or hiding behind their parents when they saw her waiting for the subway.

Ahhh... the power. The POWER.... :lol :lol :lol

Darc

27. ondiv

ondiv New Member

BEAUTIFUL work....

I have been drooling over the Battle Dress that the Queen has myself. All that chainmail scares me off though.

28. penwiper

Me too. I am terrified by the thought of making a whole skirt of chainmail though - ugh. Right now I'm wondering about the possibilities of knitted string, both from an ease factor and from a weight factor.

Gen

29. WookieeGunner

There are knitting patterns for theatrical chainmail here's one site (don't know the quality) http://www.usitt.org/tdt.index/extras/39-3chainmail.html . Also, depending on the gauge, Weta used PVC for some of the chainmail in LotR. Search here on it I know there has been at least one thread (may be in the archives now) about doing orc chain with PVC.

30. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Yeah, I was thinking it would be fun to drag my kids around with me dressed as stone statues... :lol

Ondiv and Gen, have you seen This??

Guri

31. WookieeGunner

32. penwiper

Thanks for all those links. I'm really starting to get interested in this costume - augh, where to find the time.?

That's SICK. I love it. :)

Gen

33. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Gen, looking at beautiful photos is always how it starts... peer pressure doesn't go away when you get older either. *LOL*

Guri

34. ondiv

ondiv New Member

oh thank you so much for that link Guri... I saved that sucker right to my hard drive.

I'm also going to look into this whole PVC chainmail thread...that is an option that I'd be open to.

35. JedHead

JedHead New Member

Has anyone made the battle costume from the first film? If so, how did you do the weapons and headpiece?

36. Guri

Guri Sr Member

A friend of mine did it in sintra.

[​IMG]