Smartgun build: Need help with MG42 measurements

Xhiwar

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi there!

I'm preparing some metalwork for my Aliens smartgun build and I'm in need of some measurements from a real MG42.
I would need these measurements of the part that houses the stock buffer:
MG42.jpg

That would be:
1. Diameter of the rear part
2. Length of the rear part
3. Length from the very back to the "plate" in the front
4. Total length
5. Diameter of the front part

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Cheers!
Roman

Hey Roman,

I have a real mg53, same machine gun but made later. If you want I can take some measurements, it need cleaning anyway

Hey there Coinprop!
Thanks a lot, really great, that's another part I might need to replicate and can use the measurements.
However, the part I was talking about is the metal part inside the butt stock.

I actually managed to source a stock, but it's from an even later model, so it might be different. I'm having a hell of a time getting the metal part out of the bakelite stock though, so no progress yet.

Cheers and thanks a lot!
Roman

Hey there Coinprop!
Thanks a lot, really great, that's another part I might need to replicate and can use the measurements.
However, the part I was talking about is the metal part inside the butt stock.

I actually managed to source a stock, but it's from an even later model, so it might be different. I'm having a hell of a time getting the metal part out of the bakelite stock though, so no progress yet.

Cheers and thanks a lot!
Roman
I'm sure that you're aware that Bakelite is fragile, even more so after all those years. Hopefully you'll be successful removing that part without major industrial damageo_O I know of some people freezing the part + Bakelite to remove steel parts, but never from a machine gun...yet.

Yes, that‘s why I haven‘t gotten any further with this. There‘s virtually no place to get a good grip on the metal part to pull off the bakelite stock, and I didn‘t want to damage the stock itself. Hmm, freezing it. I might just try that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back