Small motors for prop making

I've heard of model makers using the small motor from cell phones which cause them to vibrate as motors to turn the propellers on model airplanes.

I'm not sure if they produce enough torque for what you are wanting, but I would suggest using Google to find cell phone motors and go from there to see what options come up. Sites that offer these motors might also offer something similar and stronger.

electronics goldmine has some. the problem with the pager motors is the terminals are tiny and solder won't stick to them. Servos you can find online with most any company that handles hobby robotics or RC planes. Places like electronics goldmine are great because they're pretty cheap (shipping isn't so its best to buy more than one item) and have alot of interesting things.

the problem with the pager motors is the terminals are tiny and solder won't stick to them.

That is totally false and untrue, the inability to solder the terminals revolves solely upon the lack of knowing how to solder properly... There is a difference between soldering and laying lead boogers...

As for the question what do you want to do and how much space do you have? There are many, many options application an needs will tailor the results...

That is totally false and untrue, the inability to solder the terminals revolves solely upon the lack of knowing how to solder properly... There is a difference between soldering and laying lead boogers...

As for the question what do you want to do and how much space do you have? There are many, many options application an needs will tailor the results...

OOH!

FIGHT! FIGHT!

This is where the solder REALLY hits the fan...

:lol

If your up for taking things apart, Goodwill or other thrift stores are great places to find small motors that run off 9v batteries, there just hidden. Cheap CD players, CD Rom drives, old printers, there's all sorts of little treasures hidden but it can be a crap shoot as sometimes that's why those things are there cause the motor died.

Any who my two cents

-Chris

If your up for taking things apart, Goodwill or other thrift stores are great places to find small motors that run off 9v batteries, there just hidden. Cheap CD players, CD Rom drives, old printers, there's all sorts of little treasures hidden but it can be a crap shoot as sometimes that's why those things are there cause the motor died.

Any who my two cents

-Chris
Not to mention that it can be a lot of fun to take old electronics apart, too. I made my Predator wristblade gauntlets from the motor, gearing, and racks from an old CD-ROM drive or two. I have a friend who repairs computers, and he's amassed a collection of old, dead printers and CD-ROM drives.

Some of the motors are stepper motors, like the head positioning motors in CD-ROM drives, the print head positioning motors in printers, or the positioning motors in scanners*. Others are just regular DC motors. The drive eject motors are always regular DC motors.

Oh, and thanks to whoever posted the link to servocity.com.

* Flatbed scanners, that is. Not the kind of scanners where people's heads blow up.

I personally find RoHS solders annoying, I'll take a 63/37 tin/lead mix any day...
I'm in full agreement. The non-lead solders don't flow well when molten and aren't ductile enough when solid. Basically, I think they're crap.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back