Sliders Timer...Egyptian Timer!!

everything u just said, shows how little you know about electronics, Red.

I have not read a more disrespectful comment then the one you wrote just now.

Your attitude is also the reason why I don't help people build electronics anymore.

You've been watching for years, well , keep watching, cause you won't get any closer than that.

why put names in a timer? for reasons you dont understand. to be different, to honour the ones you love in life.

your probably as alone and as miserable as they get.

good luck in life boy.

1st I would like to say for you to act like that is completely wrong dude why would you even say things like that and let me quote what you said about lightbender yes he has a nice design and will be a sweet thing but just to give you a heads up on that he has the sequence all wrong the Egyptian timer never did the genser thing only the original timer did that if you knew your sliders and have been watching as long as you have said then you would know that.
now just to let you know I'm not trying to be mean or whatever anyone may think but aarons timer is unique it's his own design and who are you to say anything about it the guy worked hard and a lot of time into it and I would like to know where is yours have you made one have you even tried look like I said I'm not trying to be a jerk but that was wrong of you to say anything like that and by the way I'm Tom.

if the micro chip was made available..itd be a simple rewire for those who knew what to look for, and most importantly knew what they were doing- "whatevers programmed" in there-which we will refer to as "chip", whatever chip is what drives what appears from the videos to be all the functions..including the patterns in which the bargraphs blink in patterns- assuming you could swap the red for green, as as i said rewire it to be a different board size and the bargraphs be below the display the best you could hope for would be similar to thermalized plastics timer replica from many many moons ago, and in my belief one of the first functional sliders props as seen here Sliders - Timer Replica Prop - YouTube

that basically be it, as you see the bargraphs blink in patterns instead of chase and the 4 colons between the digits are missing in action, and it was built into a much more available flip..the 550.

ive watched this video for years as well as the pix, as even tho theres some detail imperfections it was way before colie's replica- and i like it. you also must know when these came out it was before seasons were released on dvd and barely anyone had the internet- much less a lot of reference material for sliders. and that alone makes this impressive. -in comparison to the functionality of the lightbenders circuit (which i do like).. the video above would be the closest (reconfiguration) as i mentioned, for those knowing how to do it.. contrary to Aaron (who i do like), but feel his videos and even messages may be a little drawn out for what little tangible info it covers.. but i hope aaron will continue his timer work (with help from his friend tom) and create a timer (with their names in it for some reason) (with help from his friend time), to create THEIR timer, which at the moment has 4 digits (with help from his friend tom)

lol, in short- nothing is impossible. i'd strongly recommend a talented reconfigure rather then trying to scratch build programs... this is for sure the closest weve came to achieving this mutual goal in years, and its exciting.. i cant wait to see whats up with the scarab.

best,
-Rebel (with help from his friend tom)

also I would like to add if your such a fan of sliders and have "watched the video" as much as you say let me as you why didn't you just use the old vcr when they were on I mean hey I did I have every episode on tape I had my wife tape them while I was working and I studied the timers each and everyone very closely.... also I would like to say if people werent so stingy and want to help with the code and the design maybe everyone who wants one would have one but no everyone is out here to make a quick buck they make them cheap and you can't tell me they don't all you have to do is go to Printed Circuit Boards | Sunstone.com Printed Circuits and give them your design for your board and the will print it for and it's only $100 to do that they even give you the software free to do it and no one can tell me that the electronics are a lot cause I know better also the cases for these are cheap too when you find them.
if you go to Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor you can pick up the electronics for the timer.

1st I would like to say for you to act like that is completely wrong dude why would you even say things like that and let me quote what you said about lightbender yes he has a nice design and will be a sweet thing but just to give you a heads up on that he has the sequence all wrong the Egyptian timer never did the genser thing only the original timer did that if you knew your sliders and have been watching as long as you have said then you would know that.
now just to let you know I'm not trying to be mean or whatever anyone may think but aarons timer is unique it's his own design and who are you to say anything about it the guy worked hard and a lot of time into it and I would like to know where is yours have you made one have you even tried look like I said I'm not trying to be a jerk but that was wrong of you to say anything like that and by the way I'm Tom.

Well, four prototypes later and I think my scarab is done. The magnesium is thin enough it can be slightly bent to conform to the remote's body. I cut the corner with a pair of sidecutters just to see how easy it will be to cut out the round shape (that shape can't really be engraved because it will leave a shoulder on the engraving plate.

I'll probably play with the sidecutters and my Dremel tonight. The plate is magnesium, so I need to be diligent about collecting dust.

6985285167_226a6601b8_o.jpg

6985285209_71f2afd4e6_o.jpg

6839164196_9ec04117ae_o.jpg

im really liking the perfection of the scarab, it reminds me of colie's egyptian scarab-that he supposedly purposefully changed something on to make it different (for some vain reason) perhaps to be the only one with an accurate one, i dont know.. its good the competition is moving forward- im still wondering if lightbenders will roll out with a kit, or even the 2mm face plates..

in regards to the GEnSEr on the egyptian- i believe i already made mention of that like a month ago (and the first) and have since moved on..

and i must apologize for the sensitivities of some who find it appropriate to overact to ones..quite humorous opinions on matters that are simply not worth bring up-yet again..., but i feel compelled to elaborate on the senselessness of the argument that you two feel gung-ho on starting.. boring spring? first of all- if dude cant take constructive criticism i dont see the point in babying, that and the fact i didnt even criticize in the first place lol- it just doesnt matter to me if you feel youre doing the work of gods, nor if your friend tom (with help from his friend tom) steps up like big brother, or maybe big sister, maybe big daddy- i dont know, it doesnt make the wannabe "drama" anymore silly- in short, i dont care what you guys do, as much as you dont care what i do.. so why overact on a few joking sentences which wasnt meant to depress anybody in the first place?

get real.

best,
Rebel :love

by all means keep fiddling with your circuit and keep being friends- were not having a eh hem measuring contest- i didnt set out to change anyones minds on anything since i didnt say anything out of order, nor are you two gonna change mine, or was the object of your rants to imply im not free to say dude lacks a little consistency? and i thought it was cute how many times its mentioned "help from his friend tom"?

lol, and in regards to VHS taping..there wasnt too much VHS taping i did in '95, as i simply didnt think of things like that back then, keep in mind i wasnt in my twenties in the early '90s or whatever, times were simpler.

cheers.

and @ Aaron carter- whether i know about electronics or not- is that the argument? lol... if u dont want me to know about electronics- fine i dont, ok? but i assure you i know about a little more then youre giving me credit for.. (electronics).

and why would you imply that im never going to have a timer?.. or that im alone? :(

that is sad, and you made me sad.

best,
-Rebel :love

now that's a perfect scarab and it looks exactly like the one on the timer awesome way better than that other one that was shown before.

Well, four prototypes later and I think my scarab is done. The magnesium is thin enough it can be slightly bent to conform to the remote's body. I cut the corner with a pair of sidecutters just to see how easy it will be to cut out the round shape (that shape can't really be engraved because it will leave a shoulder on the engraving plate.

I'll probably play with the sidecutters and my Dremel tonight. The plate is magnesium, so I need to be diligent about collecting dust.

6985285167_226a6601b8_o.jpg

6985285209_71f2afd4e6_o.jpg

6839164196_9ec04117ae_o.jpg

Well, I wanna do my part to put this thread back on track and say,

"WOW" Juno, your scarab looks really, really good! Tremendous detailing. Can't wait to see some more progress!

Hey Juno,

I wouldn't know an Egyptian Timer if someone were to hit me upside the head with one. But I do know that the scarab that you've replicated is an awesome bit of work and beautifully done. :thumbsup

ATL

As far as I know there is no GEnSEr/CALUrI sequence in the startup preamble on the Egyptian Timer or the Dr Jensen (Rickman) Timer. From what I know the startup preamble on the Egyptian Timer was 52:52:52 alternating with 25:25:25 then --:--:--. However if someone paid to have the board made he can have the chip programmed any way he chooses.

really liking the updates.. still a little curious why nobody on this forum of all places so far havent pointed our their curiosities on the GEnSEr power up preamble of the original timer- on the egyptian timer..

i wonder if he'd sell whatever programmed chips hes using separate

If anyone knows a source (that actually has them in stock) for the Grayhill 87 series keypad used in this timer, please let me know. Digikey shows them in their catalogue but stock levels have been 0 for a long time.

Well I ordered some from Digikey Australia as they say the order will ship on 17th of April. I guess we'll see what happens in real life.

OK folks the keypads arrived from Digi-Key. It is a 3x4 matrix keypad. To my mind a 3x4 is 3 rows of 4 but this is 3 columns of 4. So in the photo you will see on the left the way it looks "out of the box". The keytops are wrong as they are rotated through 90 degrees compared with the ones on the original prop. So I opened it up and rotated all of the keytops. The keypad on the right is afterwards and now looks correct.

20120516_032255b.jpg

If anyone is looking for them the Grayhill part number from Digi-Key is 87AB3-201.

The clear covers on the keytops are easily removable to insert numbers.

Last edited:
Simple fix, and it beats trying to wire them up separately.

Oh, and about the scarabs: I was watching "How It's Made," and when they cut magnesium for the making of enameled pins, they simply used a coping saw.

If anyone is looking for them the Grayhill part number from Digi-Key is 87AB3-201.
I also found them here:
https://avnetexpress.avnet.com/stor...art&catalogId=500201&langId=-1&storeId=500201
I tried Digi-Key's US site, but they were out of stock and it wouldn't let me go through to order. Avnet is also out of stock (Grayhill's site says all their distributors are), but at least Avnet would let be backorder.

The order came to about $26, but after submitting, I was told "The billing address on your order does not match the exact billing address provided by your financial institution.Your order will be reviewed by a Customer Care Representative. As a result, your order may not be immediately visible in Order Status. Please do not re-submit your order as this may cause duplicate orders and billings."

I'm not sure what they're referring to since I did put in the correct address. *shrug* I guess I'll find out...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back