Slave to a Rhythm (with no grace)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allan mate, you start anything you like re Slave and its findings and no doubt it will prove extremely fruit full. The hulls are a peach that Rich has and it will be hard to better them without taking a 3D scan of the model, I would still recommend though that even Rich build a mock up enginge rig to see how it actually lays out with the wing wells.

I'm having a set of engine bells made next week to help mine out and then I'm going hell for leather on making my mock up/start on the engine lay out. I'll join my Skirt halves accordingly then add the hull. I think at the moment that I will have to under scale the dish and some intricate jiggery pockery but I think it will work.

There is a lot of activity on slave at the mo :thumbsup and I was worried to maybe end my build now before I commit to parts being used. No, I'm going to carry on. If another Slave hull set arrives thats up to scratch then amazing stuff, I'll do another.

What would be a massive help to me is if Rich or Scott could measure the skirt length at its centre/ widest point, I'll know straight away if the extra work put in by Jason has paid offin the length of the new skirt.

Mine are cut to shape now and I think I had a gap of around 70mm where the wings sit, be amazing if I could get this info for the 2 hulls that I know of?

Cheers Allan
Slaveunderskirt2.jpg

Last edited:
I could kick myself for not getting more pics of Slave I when I saw it in Houston at the Magic of Myth tour...what about 8-9 years ago. The model sat low to the bottom (no underside shots possible) but the case was low enough that a camera reached over the top could have got some great shots of the cockpit. :cry I wasn't really into studio scale at the time. :behave

It is currently on tour...don't remember where, but I don't think you can get near enough or the right angles to get anything that would be useful in the cockpit area. Maybe if you reach your camera high and at a down angle you could get lucky.

A plan is already a foot but no flash permitted so its down to talent now :cool, I have recommended taking a good torch and some mates to create a diversion :lol

A plan is already a foot but no flash permitted so its down to talent now :cool, I have recommended taking a good torch and some mates to create a diversion :lol

Interesting. The MOM tour allowed flash and the WSMI allowed flash. Take a few different cameras too. I did that for my latest excursion to WSMI and it was worth it as what I consider the lower quality of my cameras actually seemed to have done the best job.

BTW, those pics will all be posted as soon as I have a chance to go through, sort them and whack out the really blurry ones. There are around 1500 pics and real life is very busy for the next week or so.

Just a question, why, do they put a ban on flash photography, its always niggled me that one.
A torch sounds the way then lol, tape it Aliens/Ripley style to your lenses, in fact, id love to there, taking pics, of you guys, taking pics :).

lee

I wish I could go myself mate, I've a lens fro hell to cope with low light, you've seen it in fact :lol

No Flash is for a number of reasons, its spoils the ambience :cry, and to scrrw with me :angry

I hope that the torch does make it to the show, it will be a legend in the studio scale archives to see Slave be de flowered with style :lol

Just a question, why, do they put a ban on flash photography, its always niggled me that one.
A torch sounds the way then lol, tape it Aliens/Ripley style to your lenses, in fact, id love to there, taking pics, of you guys, taking pics :).

lee

In the case of fine art paintings, think Mona Lisa type things, a flash can actually cause the paint to fade. Especially when it is hit thousands of times per day.

It surprises me that some of these prop tours have allowed flash. Most museums that have traditional type art work normally do not allow flash, period. I think someone at LFL either cares for the fans, or does not fully appreciate the condition of the props.

Ahhhh you mean that big grey lens, looked like a rocket launcher lol, yeah, lens envy man :lol.

Well, i guess shining a torch up somebodies skirt and taking photos could get you in a heap of trouble........but maybe tell security, guys, its just a model :lol.

lee

In the case of fine art paintings, think Mona Lisa type things, a flash can actually cause the paint to fade. Especially when it is hit thousands of times per day.

It surprises me that some of these prop tours have allowed flash. Most museums that have traditional type art work normally do not allow flash, period. I think someone at LFL either cares for the fans, or does not fully appreciate the condition of the props.

Scott yeah i can understand Fine art being destroyed by lumens over time, very good point, enough flash a day, thats a lot of light.
That said, many of the studio scale props are faded to hell and in need a loving touch anyhoo.

lee

I've been to 3 ILM prop/ model events and all allowed flash, I think with this event it is ambience, all that have been say its a very dimly lit event. I fully understand the fine art thing and have been shown the door in the Louvre a couple of time's

Request for Scott and Rich if you dont mind guys during one of your lesser busy days, would you mind taking this dim for me on your hulls, from the outside edge? It coud save me a million hours of hassle?

Cheers

Slaveunderskirt2.jpg

Wing work stopped a long time ago Scott so sorry not had a chance to work out what the diameter is on my wing Rod/Mount/armature/mindfuq

Just as an aside, nobody said anything to me when I used a small flashlight to shine on things at WSMI. I waited until I was basically finished with everything on the off chance that I would get tossed. Most likely I figured I would be told to stop.

So, basically being ready to leave I hit several models with the flashlight. I did get a few strange looks from other attendees, and a couple of times was looked at directly by museum monitors, but nobody said a word.

I don't think it helped me much though. I was using a cheap camera and I have no real photography skills. I wish your operative luck.

All these models have been baking under florescent lights and dust for 30 years... I'd imagine flash photography is pretty negligible!

Here you go Guy:

81mm wing wells

525mm length

I'm curious to know your findings too. It'll tell me some of what I might need to know about the one I have.

I'm going to, sometime soon, draw out a rough armature over a photo I have. It seems it interlocks with the engine parts or at least serves as engine mount points. How the rest of the parts interact with the skirt/hull is interesting as they almost seem to be floating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back