Slave to a Rhythm (with no grace)

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Guy Cowen, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Its time to delve into the mind boggling enigma that is Slave 1, I will be openly standing on the shoulders of giants with this build. As we all know there is a small group of genius that have brought us this far with Slave 1. No need to roll the names off as we all know who they are. Its my obsession with wanting to paint this model that has lead me to crazy idea of trying to build it as well.

This wouldn't be possible without an awesome array of effort and talent, none of which is mine. The final decision for me was Jason's bringing to the table of the hull pulls, from my experience with the A wing I think I just may be able to pul something off that resembles Slave 1 and I intend to do it as much justice as possible especially knowing the work that has already been put in by others.

I've already stared the wings and have been collecting kits for a while so hope to get a decent chunk done before Xmas kicks in.

I know I cant be alone in this task and it would be great to hear from others that will be taking on this task so we can bounce idea's and cry on each others shoulders. For me its a grail and one I will not fill full of wine just Donors

This will be a long slow build, but a fun and demanding one.

ralphee likes this.
  2. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Good luck mate... I thought I was crazy with the 5 fter. I wouldn't go near this one. I'd end up in a looney bin.

3. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Get in there Guy, you'll pull it off. Cant join you sadly, you know how i feel, but i really hope, Jason, and yourself pull this one off, really wanted to jump in with ya bud, but, cant really look at this prop anymore, i KNOW, between just you two, you'll nail it.
    Lets face it, im getting married next year, so with the recent mention of an SS ATAT to the other half, well, the Slave One has already caused a few tiffs hehe!

lee

Guy Cowen likes this.
  4. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, I bought Allan's fiberglass layup Richard did. But work and other issues keep bumping the building of stuff. So, if you'd like I can help a little. I've gotten pretty far into this donor-wise, but the armature and basic understructure are still a mystery. Watching Moe's build of the underside helped a little to understand what's going on. I still can't make out much of what's going on in the wing wells or cockpit. I mean, some major things are understood, but details are sketchy.

Guy Cowen likes this.
  5. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Simon, I may end up in the loony bin also mate!

Lee, you'll just have to make it up to Elsa with a lovely Honeymoon, maybe Norway, there's some lovely remote places, cough cough.
    I know how you feel about it mate, so I'll build it on your behalf mate, may be jumping the gun as yet anyhow, When the hulls arrive I'll relax then get stressed :lol

Scott, Pm sent mate, be good to bang heads with this build mate, looking forward to it.

Thanks to Jason again for even bothering to put the extra effort in to make this work.

6. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm juuust dumb enough to dive in without thinking! Let's do this! I'm looking forward to the few mouth breathers who will point out our inevitable errors!

7. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Sounds good Jason, I can take all manner of "thats wrong" I'd be happy with a 50% right Slave than no slave at all. Just make sure you brain rack openly mate :lol

I really really am looking forward to this more than any anything I've done before. Well aside from Lighting a fart in Diana Ross's house, "Shameless namedrop" :love

moffeaton likes this.
  8. moffeaton

Well, responsibilities come first - gotta finish the Y-Wing and am still juggling the Blimp project... but I can certainly start little sub-assemblies on the Slave 1, here and there... there's always a little down time to be had when something is drying or curing!

9. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence mate. I'll try n keep it neat as well :lol

10. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Its not good enough Jason, your slacking already. :lol

11. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Reaaaaally looking forward to seeing this develop. You guys are amazing. With these Slave 1 builds and the AT-AT plans there's a lot to look forward to and well, strive for....

Can't wait to see the first pics. Good luck!

Marvin

12. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Good luck Guy, if someone can do justice to the Slave One paintjob, that's you !

13. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Cheers Julien, I just hope I can build the bloody thing :behave

14. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence Marvin, it'll be slow but worth it I think :cool

15. MonsieurTox

Yeah even with all the parts in hand it's a nightmare to figure how they go together lol :lol

I will follow this thread with great interest !

16. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

I just started making a vac plug for the Entex door part. I'm going to scratch it for now, and see where things are at when its ready to assemble (a long way off).

[​IMG]

darth_myeek likes this.
  17. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

You go Guy......thats a tasty part for forming you will have no problem
    with that shape! Thats like taking candy from a baby.....ah you got a former
    yet?:lol

18. Gort

Gort Well-Known Member

Hi Guy,

Good luck with this one. Another ship I'd like to conjour up for myself. After what you pulled off with the A-wing this should be a walk in the park...(Okay, its going to be a pretty BIG park, and a long walk, )...but you will prevail :)

Just seeing you paint up a Slave 1 will no doubt be a master class. I'll stay tuned on this one for sure

Cheers
    Nick

19. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Hey Guy, you can always help me on the betty. i still have about 1000 parts to make.

20. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Yeh Mike, Ive a small former I got from ebay last year or so. Its OK nothing major but enough to get these smaller parts done. I've only used it once for the top part of the A wing but the results where great.

Nick, thanks mate. The A-Wing was a real learning curve for me, I sometimes forget the work I put into it to get it looking the way I did. I had it out last night to get boxed up for the weekend and it still blows ME away knowing I did that.

As for the Slave it will be tough, a lot tougher than the A-wing for sure but I wont let it beat me and have great friends here and across the pond that will be a support and help when I need it, so onwards and upwards. As for painting it, thats the drive I have to build the sucker. Its on my bucket list.

Al, I think your coping extremely well on your own there mate. You'll have built and painted the complete ship before I get one wing done for the slave mate :behave

21. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

The Slave wings are a delicate work of pure art. Your going to do fine Guy, just remember less if more on the glue side of things lol, such a tricky blend of parts to bond.

lee

22. Scott Graham

I'm thinking about what Lee just said and it'd make a lot of sense to tack this, not glue it too securely, as you go along. That way you can make mistakes.

You're moving along with this much faster than I expected Guy. PM me again about the doors. Maybe I can give you the extras I have. I just didn't think you needed them so soon.

I just dug out my slave stuff that I have and will follow up. Also, I have to sell an entex porsche by putting two partially completed kits together to make one awesome one that'll sell well on ebay! :)

I'm following you to figure this out too, so let's get moving...

23. moffeaton

I'm not gluing any of my stuff down until I get the armature sorted!

Also have plans to have the Entex parts cast - I think Salzo actually has the doors molded already....

24. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

I agree re gluing stuff too soon, I'm making the wings as a sub part system as they'll still need to be done like this to get it all together on the armature. The wing well Leopold arm is the key to the armature placement.

I'm hoping my hulls will be on there way early next week so I can get a much better idea of all things slave.
    I'm going to scratch the Entex wing parts till I can get hold of castings, mainly so I can carry on with other parts of the wings and to get the practise!

Scott, I'm too impatient to sit with a box of donors without tinkering mate. The harrier wings are a bit unclear re the cut under the Bt44B part but the SW blu ray has opened up a bit of info re the cut point and fit, well I think it has?

Be great to here from Tim Ketzer and Isel if your watching as you both where light years ahead with your wings, any advice would be awesome especially if hurdles have been jumped?

It would also be great to know who else has jumped on Jasons Hull set, it cant just be me?????

25. MonsieurTox

I didnt know Jason was selling hull set ?

26. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Thanks Jason, I may shoot him an email, dont think its fair to pester him whilst he's so busy :eek,

Hopefully I can sought something out with Scott first.

27. Scott Graham

Yeah that armature is key to holding all these bits together. I'm thinking it's actually quite simple in the end. Routing it around where it would conflict with kit parts, wing wells, and cockpit seems to be the hard part. The wing wells and cockpit being the more difficult areas because it'll take some guessing to get the dimensions right.

I still can't make out much of what's in the wing wells yet. I can see a big disk brake and the armored car part and not much else. As I remember, there's a karl bit or two I've spotted in there too.

To me, the hobby throws me off track when I try to be a perfectionist and obsess over finding kit parts that seemingly can't be found...and this can go on for years! :)

28. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

I've not given the wells too much time as yet, we haven't brought this to the masses yet though, I'm sure like the A-wing and PD thread between the RPF members here can help us along mate. I know theres SU-85 in there and Leopold 88mm, 20mm flak the Entex brake discs and much more.

I'm all for idealised if nothing turns up, I'm not looking to get awards for this build but just have fun and PAINT IT :love

29. Scott Graham

Thought those might be the entex disk brakes. I gotta check my reference again too...

30. MonsieurTox

Yes they are !

31. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Julien, I'm gunna make a start on ID's for the wing wells pretty soon. As always mate your keen eye and knowledge would be appreciated as ever?

Not spent much time on them yet and have the obvious ones

Entex
    8RAD
    Leopold
    88mm
    20mm Flak
    SU-85

32. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Im sure there are some Karl crane parts in there too Guy, bit hazy on this one.

Lee

33. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

There are mate, its what the SU-85 parts are attached to

I'll do some pics like with the PD thread so we can all have a crack at em, you cant beet a bit of group ID therapy. Gunna have a bash at what I can first but all are welcome to chime in. You know theres gunna be a raft of emails on this one mate :lol

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  34. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Lol, mate always glad to help where i can, i think Julien has a bit more on the pulse though, anyhoo, ill dig out that F5 for you and bring it to Mem, its absurd, after ALL this time and bollocks, we may yet see Slave One done.

Lee

35. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

I hope so mate, no doubt just as I get started properly Tim will show off 3 completed builds.... which would be fantastic.

Thanks for the F5 part mate, that reminds me I need to dig you a pana set out.

Looks like I only need to get another Bt44B and a few Tamiya tanks and I'm nearly there. Well, for engine and wings that is.

36. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Email sent mate

37. moes1

moes1 Well-Known Member

Would be great if we could ID the remaining parts in the left and right wing wells. Then I could get going on the Slave masters.

38. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Well, what are you missing Moe? Pics, going through donors for something else here and there, so a mental not of what is need for S1 would be handy.

lee

39. morsesith21

morsesith21 Well-Known Member

Im really excited to see this happen. Although I am still new to this site, I have seen enough to know that if anyone could pull this off it's you two. If you are in need of donor parts, I have the Karl pieces and few of the other greeblie pieces if you need them. I don't think I'll ever attempt this one. Good luck guys, and have fun!

40. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Had a go at Vac Forming for only the second time ever today and I love it. I am lucky enough to have a set of Cast wings on the way but am still going to scratch them for the practise, plus I'd started before I new the cast wings where available.

It'll be interesting for me to see how close I can get em without ever seeing the Entex parts in the flesh. I've left the shape over sized so I can trim it back when the Shuttle part arrives so its a little wide in places at the mo.

Once I'm happy with the shape and size I'll add the handle recess as a separate insert. I could've made it into the buck but decided to go this way so I only have to make one buck and can adjust the shape without the recess anding in the wrong place (may or may not work)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  41. eagle1

eagle1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's just sick mate, you blow us away with your builds, turn out to be a master painter & now your'e a natural vacformer:lol.
    That wing looks great Guy, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the actual parts.
    BTW, no reply ever came regarding the cast doors you enquired about, sorry mate, I tried.:cry
    Stu

42. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

No worries mate, and thanks bud. I'm sorted for the doors now thanks to another RPFer so its all good.

43. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Thats looks good Guy you maybe surprised......and like the ones
    you made yourself! Nothing beats home made polystyrene just
    tastes better than order out resin.:lol

44. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

Oh no..Slave one...don't start me off...control, control I must learn control...

I have to go away from the screen now....good luck with the build Guy...looks good already...

Phil

45. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

I'll let you know if its bitter or sweet when the doors arrive :lol

Cheers Phil, I've got some inspiration mate :thumbsup

46. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Ok then, been looking for this for a while, I'm convinced I've already hacked this part up long ago....the mind plays tricks on you when your staring at plastic for too long.

Any help or advice or bone thrown on this part in Red would be worth noting in the Jedi archive!

[​IMG]

47. MonsieurTox

Guy, the red part is actually the door !

48. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Ha Ha Ha, No wonder I've ben pulling my hair out, I've only ever seen it from above. Cheers Julien
    Now that makes the scratched doors a hole new ball game...Doh!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  49. MonsieurTox

Welcome Guy !! :)

Nice vacformed pull BTW !

50. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

Thanks Mate, by the looks of it that was the easy part :behave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.