Slade Wilson "Arrow" Island Version

Awesome costume!!! :thumbsup

I finished gathering and assembling my "Island Slade" pieces about a month ago, but I still need to age/distress my BDUs.

I'll post pics of my costume sometime this week.

Zendragon, can you give a little bit more detail about what kind of products you used to achieve the aged look of your uniform?

Here's some photos of the assembled costume.

Just need to weather/distress the uniform.

Front No Flash.jpg Front Flash.jpg Back Detail.jpg Mask No Flash.jpg

For the belt knife I'm using a Rothco GI Nylon Sheath with a Boker A-F Training Knife instead of the Becker BK7.

The Mask I'm wearing is the Mur'K 2.5 by Wolfram Creative, LLC (awesome mask btw.)

I'll post some photos of the suspenders and the sword strap set-up I made really soon.

Here's some photos of the assembled costume.

Just need to weather/distress the uniform.

View attachment 328311 View attachment 328312 View attachment 328314 View attachment 328315

For the belt knife I'm using a Rothco GI Nylon Sheath with a Boker A-F Training Knife instead of the Becker BK7.

The Mask I'm wearing is the Mur'K 2.5 by Wolfram Creative, LLC (awesome mask btw.)

I'll post some photos of the suspenders and the sword strap set-up I made really soon.

Great job! Looks amazing! I'd hate to do this but there is only one problem...the vest, on the back it was shortened to line up better with the front.
slade_wilson_oliver_queen_arrow_14.png
See? Its just a tad shorter.

Thanks for the tip.

When I initially altered the vest I hadn't completed my sword/strap rig, so it sat up a little bit higher.

But once I had finished the sword rig and put some weight on my shoulders, I noticed it was a little bit too long in the back and the rear portion of the suspenders couldn't be seen.

The machete sheath is by Ontario Knife Company; it's the 18 inch version.

I got them on sale at BudK when I purchased my Swords.

The sheath has been modified slightly to allow the attachment of the strap system. Holes were drilled into the sheath fabric using a hollow punch drill bit (6 Piece Hollow Punch Set) and eyelets were set to keep the holes from fraying. (**note that I ordered a custom sized polypropylene cutting board that would be able to fit inside the sheath so that I would have a hard surface to drill on and not dull my punches**)

I also drilled holes in a section of the straps which were double layered, and I affixed them with eyelets as well.

Zip-ties were used in a cross or "X" pattern to affix the straps to the sheaths.

The D-Rings on the left sheath were attached using some 1 inch webbing and some E-6000 glue.

Finally, the "string" tying the tips of the sheaths together is actually a black waxed dress shoelace; I also used a waxed dress shoelace for the cord of the belt knife.

Here are a couple of pics of the sheath/strap system.

Sheath Setup Inside.jpg Sheath Setup Outside.jpg Sheath Setup Outside Detal.jpg

The straps were made using a 2 inch webbing, a couple of 2 inch tri-glides, and 2 inch Safariland Triple Locking Buckles.

Last edited:
First I would like to say your work looks great. I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason for the grey BDUs. I was thinking that Slade and Wintergreen arrived on the island together and they would be wearing the same uniform and when watching it the first time through I assumed that Slade's uniform had just become faded and discolored due to exposure to saltwater and the elements over the years he had spent on the island. But after seeing the photos it's pretty clear that they are grey BDU's. I guess you could argue that Wintergreen is wearing the mercenaries uniforms, but then Deathstroke v2 wears the black BDU's. Either way I guess it's a moot point I just like to know the story behind the prop

In the Arrow comic run there is an issue when the plane is shot down Slade and Billy are both wearing the matching deathstroke uniform but the rest of the comic doesn't really make sense in relation to the show.

Last edited:
Zendragon I was just wondering how you worked out the sizing for the vest. My boyfriend has a 104cm chest which I believe would make him a 3XL but I saw you said that the sizing wasn't right and you ended up having to order another size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zendragon I was just wondering how you worked out the sizing for the vest. My boyfriend has a 104cm chest which I believe would make him a 3XL but I saw you said that the sizing wasn't right and you ended up having to order another size.

Replying super late. The first vest I ordered was too big so I exchanged it for a size down. Other than that I wasn't really sure what to order because the vest is being used for a purposed other than what it was designed for

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Slade Wilson "Arrow" Island Version

Hey quick question if you have the time. What detergent did you use exactly to distress the BDU's to give them a more faded look? I ordered black BDUS by accident and I am trying to think what I can do to get it to be more weathered gray if its even possible.(Background info, this is the first time putting together a costume like this and so far your guide has been the best I have found on the internet and it is very appreciated).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back