Skywalker Ranch Archives Flythrough

The OWK saber is an ICONS replica.

Yup, thank you

osb mentioned that above, i still find it weird that replicas make their way into the archives...seems backwards to me

So what is the vader saber next to it?

On the closest side, looks like an old one with countersunk screws but different..?

On the far side, another without a clamp, a black endcap...and only one countersunk screw?

Last edited:
I would venture a guess and say that since many of the props were recycled, lost or stolen between films that in order to have an approximation of as many props as possible that they kept prototypes of many of the licensed collectibles. That Obi-Wan Icons saber is likely the one that was photographed for the DK Star Wars Visual Dictionary. This way they can have not only photographic archive material to reference from but a physical reference as well when making these films.

lolz I was there once! Just not in the archives. I remember reading that Don Bies gave a tour to the archives to a USC special fx club. ILM should open it up to limited tours again :) school groups, paying public, model clubs let's start a petition

Just...wow... I can't even describe how awesome it'd be to spend time in that building. So much cool stuff! The biker scout in me just wants to jump on one of those speeder bikes!

I would venture a guess and say that since many of the props were recycled, lost or stolen between films that in order to have an approximation of as many props as possible that they kept prototypes of many of the licensed collectibles. That Obi-Wan Icons saber is likely the one that was photographed for the DK Star Wars Visual Dictionary. This way they can have not only photographic archive material to reference from but a physical reference as well when making these films.

Close/ possible.........

I personaly have been in the "museum business" off and on as a consultant/ Insurance provider for many years. I have been to the Lucas Archives on four occasions. My first trip was in 1996, and I was provided the tour by Don. My last visit was 2004. I was told, and have seen that the Archives will maintain certain commercial pieces/ replicas in their inventory to be used as "fillers" in the event that a needed piece no longer exists in their inventory, or may be needed in more than one place at the same time for different exhibitions.

This is common practice by museums, and the likes. Most will use replicas of a particular item to enhance/ complete a display, in order to give the overall sense of the subject being observed. For whatever reason many fans feel cheated, or that Lucas Films is trying to put one over on them. That's far from the case. It's simply a matter of presentation, and all museums do it.

Last edited:
Ah, see thinking of the Archives as a museum, I understand. Great works of art, fossils and the like are copied all the time.

A lot of prop-people here consider the Archives as a place to store and go and see the original stuff from the movies (right?) So if something was stolen or went missing, we'd at first expect it not to be there. Then, seeing MasterReplicas on the bottom of something, sitting next to an actual old prop is a little disconcerting. If that makes any sense? It would probably feel better if Lucas, acting like a Museum, would at least label a non-original prop as so, I think the "One-over feeling" comes from the lack of communication, and we're like...is he grouping these all in one category? Like you said, he must have another idea of the Archives today.

The idea that it is more like a museum of sorts is likely the case considering that not every piece can be accounted for because some were stolen or auctioned off. Also it would be wise to have a close approximation on hand in order to get accurate dimensions for a lightsaber (for example) rather than have to rely solely on photographic evidence when duplicating it for the making of one of the sequels.

Plus the fact that the original intention of this collection wasn't to be displayed for exhibition goers. That was more an after thought that came about after the fact. To the general audiences who see this in person at a show, they wouldn't know the difference between what was screen used or a licensed replica.

Only us "experts" would be able to tell. ; )

I saw Indiana Jones stuff too!! That's sooooooooooo awesome!! Thanks for posting!

I liked the film editing too.

Last edited:
Even if the took SOME of that stuff on the road I would travel to see it. Unfortunately, I missed the FIDM costume exhibit. Do you think that some of the "replicas" are there because Lucas now has someone paying him to replicate things he doesn't have anymore and if he wanted to re-create them he would have to pay guys like us to do the research and replicate it? Its kind of like free research assistants for missing items/props.

-Fletch

hey one of those "charges" is towards the end. I remember someone trying to re-create those on here a little while back

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back