Prop Store

Skywalker Ranch Archives Flythrough

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by KramStaar, Mar 26, 2012.

1. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

2. Search4

Search4 Active Member

Well that was fun. To say the least.

3. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

At about 2:13 we see a beat up vader saber with a smooth shroud and an Obi wan with a short black neck that looks nothing like the episode III longer version.....are these prototypes for the newer movies? I think i see the static ROTJ Vader lying on a table on the right later on next to Ep. III vaders...is it the real deal or are these more prototypes for the latter?

4. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How earthquake secure is that place?

5. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

Oh hell ya....

6. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Pretty darn cool.

7. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

saw this earlier this morning, it was great, loved seeing all the studio models, especially slave 1 and the super star destroyer, awesome!

8. ep1972

ep1972 Member

This video is on the Blu Ray's.

9. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

Wow ive never seen this video before. Its pretty amazing, thanks for posting it.

10. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

would love to get a close look at all those Maquettes. and the Radiant vii

11. LDR

LDR Sr Member

Nice video.

At 1.00 isnt that Stormtrooper helmet a Don Post one from the 70s? Looks a bit odd.

12. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Always a treat!

13. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe some of those items are licensed collectibles as well, or at least the prototypes of them. That Obi-Wan lightsaber with the black neck is the one Icons made back in the nineties.

14. thd9791

makes sense, the archives sound a little more commercialized lately: replacing items with collectible replicas or prototypes of replicas. It's like having something is more important than it being authentic (ish)

The rest though, all those models, are amazing!

15. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

This is one of the special features from the bluray IIRC - always a treat to see.

16. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I thought I went through the whole BR, didn't see that. Might have missed it.

17. JiminSTLouis

JiminSTLouis Sr Member

I'd pay real money to spend an hour in there!

18. cking

cking Sr Member

Awesome! Can someone please tell me which BR disc this is on and which part it can be found in? I can't see it anywhere!

Thanks.

19. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The OWK saber is an ICONS replica.

20. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

It's on bonus disk 1 (I, II and III)

On the menu you click 'archive fly-through'in the bottom left hand corner.

In full 1080p.

21. thd9791

Yup, thank you

osb mentioned that above, i still find it weird that replicas make their way into the archives...seems backwards to me

So what is the vader saber next to it?

On the closest side, looks like an old one with countersunk screws but different..?

On the far side, another without a clamp, a black endcap...and only one countersunk screw?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  22. Psab keel

I would venture a guess and say that since many of the props were recycled, lost or stolen between films that in order to have an approximation of as many props as possible that they kept prototypes of many of the licensed collectibles. That Obi-Wan Icons saber is likely the one that was photographed for the DK Star Wars Visual Dictionary. This way they can have not only photographic archive material to reference from but a physical reference as well when making these films.

23. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Death Star II always blows my mind. The intricate work that went into it is amazing.

24. jkno

jkno Master Member

Awesome. Some great models there, even from the Prequels.

25. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

How do we get a tour :)

26. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We do it in our dreams.:cry

Ben

27. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

lolz I was there once! Just not in the archives. I remember reading that Don Bies gave a tour to the archives to a USC special fx club. ILM should open it up to limited tours again :) school groups, paying public, model clubs let's start a petition

28. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd fly over and pay good money for that!

Ben

29. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just...wow... I can't even describe how awesome it'd be to spend time in that building. So much cool stuff! The biker scout in me just wants to jump on one of those speeder bikes!

30. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

i'd pay good money to get detailed images of all of Colin Cantwell's prototypes .

-james

31. ep1972

ep1972 Member

Close/ possible.........

I personaly have been in the "museum business" off and on as a consultant/ Insurance provider for many years. I have been to the Lucas Archives on four occasions. My first trip was in 1996, and I was provided the tour by Don. My last visit was 2004. I was told, and have seen that the Archives will maintain certain commercial pieces/ replicas in their inventory to be used as "fillers" in the event that a needed piece no longer exists in their inventory, or may be needed in more than one place at the same time for different exhibitions.

This is common practice by museums, and the likes. Most will use replicas of a particular item to enhance/ complete a display, in order to give the overall sense of the subject being observed. For whatever reason many fans feel cheated, or that Lucas Films is trying to put one over on them. That's far from the case. It's simply a matter of presentation, and all museums do it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  32. thd9791

Ah, see thinking of the Archives as a museum, I understand. Great works of art, fossils and the like are copied all the time.

A lot of prop-people here consider the Archives as a place to store and go and see the original stuff from the movies (right?) So if something was stolen or went missing, we'd at first expect it not to be there. Then, seeing MasterReplicas on the bottom of something, sitting next to an actual old prop is a little disconcerting. If that makes any sense? It would probably feel better if Lucas, acting like a Museum, would at least label a non-original prop as so, I think the "One-over feeling" comes from the lack of communication, and we're like...is he grouping these all in one category? Like you said, he must have another idea of the Archives today.

33. Psab keel

The idea that it is more like a museum of sorts is likely the case considering that not every piece can be accounted for because some were stolen or auctioned off. Also it would be wise to have a close approximation on hand in order to get accurate dimensions for a lightsaber (for example) rather than have to rely solely on photographic evidence when duplicating it for the making of one of the sequels.

Plus the fact that the original intention of this collection wasn't to be displayed for exhibition goers. That was more an after thought that came about after the fact. To the general audiences who see this in person at a show, they wouldn't know the difference between what was screen used or a licensed replica.

Only us "experts" would be able to tell. ; )

34. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Freakin Awesome!!!!!!!

35. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

I saw Indiana Jones stuff too!! That's sooooooooooo awesome!! Thanks for posting!

I liked the film editing too.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  36. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Member

Even if the took SOME of that stuff on the road I would travel to see it. Unfortunately, I missed the FIDM costume exhibit. Do you think that some of the "replicas" are there because Lucas now has someone paying him to replicate things he doesn't have anymore and if he wanted to re-create them he would have to pay guys like us to do the research and replicate it? Its kind of like free research assistants for missing items/props.

-Fletch

37. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Member

38. thd9791

hey one of those "charges" is towards the end. I remember someone trying to re-create those on here a little while back

39. Warpaint

Warpaint Active Member

That made my day, thanks for sharing!

Just give me some food and lock me in.

40. king of spades

king of spades Member

I would love to spend a day at that place

41. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

Loved it! Was great to look at the colors of everything, like the TIE. Great fun!

42. ep1972

ep1972 Member

Although you may see the replicas "mixed" with the original props, the Archives does keep each piece tagged, and inventoried as such correctly. There is no mistaking a screen used piece for a replica piece with in the Archives. Lela French is a very good Archivist and made sure they were designated appropriately.

Also bare in mind that Lucas Films keeps many replicas, and uses them as decoration within the several business units at the Ranch, and former Presidio. They are not meant to fool anyone, and they are labled as such either with the manufacture name plate (eg Master Replicas) or the original manufacturers stands. Using these pieces allows the experience of Lucas Films heritage with guests/ employess while not putting at risk the original props. Also Lucas does infact rotate original props every 6 months or so in special displays throughout his properties. So you get a good mix.

43. johng1337

johng1337 New Member

Biggest nerdgasm ever!
    One question though, do they have a full time curator to take care of all this wonderful stuff, or a maid to dust it off or something like that? We wouldn't want all those preciouses to get damaged.

44. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They have a great staff there who are very dedicated caretakers for these bits of history.

Tom

45. Batbog

Batbog New Member

Amazing youtube video... Could you imagine walking through that barn? Incredible.

46. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

Wow! Very cool video. Thanks for the link. One thing that I didn't see......I guess the Jar Jar stuff must be at another top secret more secure location.

47. joez2391

joez2391 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

do you guys know if any of the props used to film star tours are in the archives currently? I saw a picture of the maintanence bay door prop in a picture from the archives but i am currently looking for some refrence photos of the fuel tank at the end of the movie. if you have any information on it can you post it in the studio scale fuel tank thread or pm me. thanks!

48. kcr7pr

kcr7pr Active Member

Too fast of a tour, soo many things to see :(

49. jedikohnke

jedikohnke New Member

That was AWESOME i would love to see that in person

50. ep1972

ep1972 Member

I am not sure about that, but I do know that Disney Archives has two of the robots that fly the shuttles. I believe one was featured on the D23 Armchair Archivist. Should be on YouTube.