Suggestion Site is a bit dull at first glance

Garthok

Sr Member
Hi, this is not a dig at the site. But I logged on after clearing out my browser history, and I assume I arrived at the site like a first time visitor would. So I tried to look at it from their view, and I thought it was kind of dull.

There are a few adds, and a description about what the site is about but no pics of anything. I am a member on a few other forums, and most have a few pics that instantly show you what it's about, and grab your interest.

So how about a few select pics of what this site is about, to grab the attention of first time visitors and also display the talent of some of the incredibly gifted members?

You have a pretty good point, Garthok. We have purposefully tried not to put too much at the top of the site so as not to push content further down the page, but perhaps we should revisit that. One of the things that is VERY difficult to do is to capture the essence of what this site is with a single photo or even a collage. We had that same issue when we started work on the logo. We wanted something that captured "props, costumes and models" and found that task virtually impossible due to the broad range of items the site covers. I am open to suggestions or sketch ideas for a more lively header.

I agree the RPF's name and reputation speaks for itself. But part of that thinking comes from being a member here, with an idea of what goes on and knowing what talented people we have here.

But I was trying to look at the RPF in the eyes of someone who'd discovered the place in a search, and with the aim of grabbing new members. In truth I am happy to just let things be. But Art has made me realize that kind of thinking is pretty selfish and short sighted, and this place needs to continue to grow.

I was thinking it needed just a few pics, like a mix of all that goes on here, the 1:1 Batmobile that Doody did, some costumes, studio scale models, original works, some sculpts and maybe a few screen used pieces etc.

I just meant a single film strip type line of pics, not a hodge podge of pics plastered all over the place

I was thinking it needed just a few pics, like a mix of all that goes on here

train+wreck.jpg

:lol

Looking at it yeah but not sure it couldn't get worse. I remember what happened to the figure site when it was on Attack of the Show a while back. We got flooded by trolls and had nothing but trouble.

How would a row of pics would make it shiny and exciting and a target for trouble makers and trolls? I thought we were trying to encourage new members.

Besides, trouble makers and trolls are dealt with and tend to move on fairly quickly (or become characters of the RPF). I think it's worth it when you see the occasional new member, who comes along and posts like this. Why wouldn't you take the chance to have talent like his come on board?

On another note, that's 500 posts for me!..The most on any forum in all my years on the interweb! Although I expected balloons or streamers or at least a personal PM from all the mods.

Last edited:
What about a front splash page like you have at the TDH? And you could set up a slideshow gallery for great props, ect culled from the forums by the mods.

What about a front splash page like you have at the TDH? And you could set up a slideshow gallery for great props, ect culled from the forums by the mods.

Funny you should mention that. We just installed a Gallery yesterday (not live yet) and I just talked tonight to a programmer about a Front Page for the site...

I always thought a simple splash page would be appropriate. I was actually kind of surprised this site didn't have one when I first came aboard.

Such things might include things like a prop of the month, or member spotlight of the month and the such.

My old car forum had a somewhat simple splash page that I liked.

Ford Focus Forums, News, Articles, Message Board Discussions

Nothing too flashy, just the right amount of information, where you have the Mission Statement, maybe seperate pages that contain Member Guidelines, etc. You don't have to dive into a multi-page site, just something nice and simple. :thumbsup
Just a thought.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back