Simple Train Set for my Young Kids' Christmas Gift

hankey01

Sr Member
I am sure anyone who knows me will get this within seconds, but I want to see if it is recognizable.

I am making a simple train set for the kids for Christmas. Once you guess this little 1:87 item (roughly) the theme should be obvious. I will be doing a very simple layout since it is for young kids and we can evolve it over time, but for now it's going to have 3 things my kids love..trains, dinosaurs (I have some cheap dollar store small skeletons that will work)..and of course the theme of this little "replica".

:)

I'll change the title of this thread and use it for some occasional updates and for any train set help I may need. I've never made one myself and already have a few questions for any experts.

Last edited:
Re: My first 100% scratch built...scale replica. ;)

Looks like the ship that brought Superman to the earth, especially given the red, blue, and yellow inside it.

Re: My first 100% scratch built...scale replica. ;)

All too easy. You got it.

Here is a reference pic. Of course I need a little toddler or baby figure to go with it, and Ma & Pa Kent (rough approximations. Man every little part for this is soo expensive! I have a 'close enough' truck I'll paint red.

I have also attached a pic of what I have so far. I have a Micro Playset of Metropolis too that comes with a Superman and Lex Luthor (from Returns), a boat, Daily Planet etc.

The barn has a light inside so I'll try to filter it so that it glows green. :)

Don't be too hard on me..this is a simple set for young kids. I have varying times of Smallville and Metropolis, and of course very innacurate Dinos. The house and barn are close enough. Have to ebay a windmill soon. Soo broke!! And I need little people!!

Of course my transformer BARELY works (I have 3 engines..2 that seem underpowered, and one that works ok), and of course my train derailed a LOT on my test runs. I tried to hammer down the tracks last night but the little black nails that came with the track aren't long enough to get through the foam track bed I bought..and the next smaller nails I found around the house are cracking the track. Any advice appreciated!

Faller / Kibri make lots of track side buildings and people for train sets and they are normally quite cheap, not sure how availabe they are state side though as they are Geman makers.

Faller / Kibri make lots of track side buildings and people for train sets and they are normally quite cheap, not sure how availabe they are state side though as they are Geman makers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in Canada. There are a few stores in the area for me to choose from, but not too easy to get to so I pretty much have to give up a saturday or sunday to try each one.

I finished assemblig the farm house last night. My 'Kent Farm' will take up a large part of the table so I may not want much more anyways, but I do need some people. :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back