Death Star Christmas Tree Topper

genZOD

Sr Member
Hello all,
I’m building up the AMT Death Star as a lighted Christmas tree topper. The tube in the middle is how it slides onto the tree without pulling the internal lighting apart. I added a trench that cleans up an area that I didn’t really like on the model & allows it to open up so that I can fix any electrical issues in the future.

I’m thinking about making the finish a little extra metallic so that it will interact with the rest of the lights on the tree. But then again, the Death Star is iconic for being a big grey ball…

For this to work the model needs to be built up pretty cleanly. That’s proving to be pretty difficult, but I’m getting there… I plan to light the windows with fiber optics and the laser with a ring of small green LEDs surrounding a larger green LED.

IMG_4091.jpeg
IMG_4088.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg

I’m sure the idea of putting a Death Star on a Christmas tree has been done before. To be honest, I built a much sloppier version a few years ago. I’ll post more pictures as the project progresses.

That should be pretty cool once done.
Its a weird kit in how they made it, with the random panels and lines that are nothing like from the movie.
But, as you can see from my avatar, it can turn out good with enough time.

That should be pretty cool once done.
Its a weird kit in how they made it, with the random panels and lines that are nothing like from the movie.
But, as you can see from my avatar, it can turn out good with enough time.
Thanks, I have a pretty solid plan for lighting it. I haven’t quite figured out how to walk the ornament/model kit line when it comes to pain & surface details…if that makes any sense.

Thanks, I have a pretty solid plan for lighting it. I haven’t quite figured out how to walk the ornament/model kit line when it comes to pain & surface details…if that makes any sense.
Mine is just glow in the dark paint, so when a black light is shining on it, it glows pretty bright.
If you need good reference pics and want to make it pretty accurate, Rob's death star studio scale is by far the best way to go.
Heres a link to page 146, as there are good pics around that area. You can go back and forth as needed.
Either way, can't wait to see what you come up with and how it all turns out.

Mine is just glow in the dark paint, so when a black light is shining on it, it glows pretty bright.
If you need good reference pics and want to make it pretty accurate, Rob's death star studio scale is by far the best way to go.
Heres a link to page 146, as there are good pics around that area. You can go back and forth as needed.
Either way, can't wait to see what you come up with and how it all turns out.

Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back