Silicone mask thickness

Greg Austin

Im starting to make my first silicone mask and I have a Joe Human Armature from CFX that Im using but my question is how thick does the clay have to be in most spots to make a good silicone mask ???

Thanks to anyone that can help

first you will need to modify the joe human head a lot for it to work. you have to get rid of undercuts mostly at the ear for the core to not lock in the 2 pârt mold when you are done.You also need to carve in the lip to create a wrap around in the mask so you can talk with it etc etc etc .joe human head are made to be display head not fonctional silicone mask armature.As for thickness it all depends on what design you are making but i would say 1/4 inch head,neck and chest and then the face sculpted between 1/8 and 1/4. be carefull of thin spots.Good luck

I've used Joe to make my silicone masks! He works good for a core when your mother mold is also silicone or soft urethane, with a hard shell. If your clay is at least 1/4 or more you maybe okay with a plaster mold. You have to watch be careful with the undercuts around the ears and back of the jaw and chin, I found that out the hard way! Silicone can be quite heavy for sure if your to thick. Have fun and be brave that's the only way we learn!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back