Sideshow 1:1 Darth Vader at SDCC?...

Now there's no need to be creative and 'roll your own'. Just buy a statue and stick it up on your shelf. Everybody has the exact same thing now.

But what is wrong with that? Are you better if you made it yourself or if yours is different than everyone else's? Is your (not you specifically, but in general) interest in a particular piece because YOU have it and no one else does, or because you actually like the piece itself? I know I am in the minority on this (especially when it comes to all the Vader freaks who want to make sure no one but them has a mm long scar here or there and will go to any length to make what they have unique), but for me, I just want one of whatever I like for myself and I don't care if 5 or 5,000 other people have the same thing. I want the item because I like the item. Whether other people have it or not has no bearing on the appreciation I have for the item. I feel like the whole "exclusivity" mentality is born out of the collector market where the value of the item itself isn't nearly as important as how few of them there are... and that always seems to come back to a "what could you sell it for" thing.

I'm sure Sideshow noticed how the Vader helmet sold out in four minutes and smelled $$$. So now we can all have the exact same Vader (and Boba Fett) with little thought put into it. I connected that with the people who don't want to do any legwork and get instant gratification in this hobby. Perhaps too wide a stroke by my brush, but I see the similarities.

Again, I think a LOT of people share your feelings on this, but I would ask again, so what if others don't do the legwork? Do you have to earn the right to have a great Vader by toiling for years and years on it? Why shouldn't someone who loves Vader but doesn't have the time to do what we do be able to have a nice Vader or Fett as well? If they are willing to pony up the big bucks for a Sideshow piece, who cares that they have a nice statue? It really doesn't affect your own pieces, unless the only value you place in your pieces comes to what you would be able to sell them for.

Some people say 'Why would you want to just buy a ready made item like a 1:1 Boba Fett or a 1:1 Darth Vader, it's so much better to collect all the pieces from the best sources and build it yourself. That makes it better then a mass-produced item'.

True.

But how many of those people sew all their own clothes ?
Or cobble their own shoes ?
Or built their own car from parts from the ground up ?
Or grow 100% of their own food ?
Or produce 100% or their own entertainment ? (ie no ready-made DVD's)

Sometimes it's nice to have something you like without having to do anything but have the money and the desire.

There is no doubt that a custom sized mannequin will make this display pop in a way most displays on regular mannequins do not. I think it's a good thing. Looks pretty well done, not perfect but well done for a mass produced item. The addition of poseable arms elbows and wrists will truly benefit anyone's Vader display. :)

I think it has followed the same progression that everything else seems to follow. Now that everybody can easily obtain a decent replica, the creativity, drive, innovation, passion, whatever you want to call it just died a little. (My argument is probably more to do with the garage kits vs. prepaints, because you truly can paint some of that stuff any way you like it. However this mass-produced replica market is sorta kinda the same thing.)

If this thing is $6-10k, which we know it will at least be $6k, I'd hardly call it
"easily obtainable". Most people don't have that kind of cash to throw out for a non-essential item like this.

If I'd've seen this Sideshow Vader back in 97 or 98 or whenever it was that I got the Rubies Vader from Darlene Parsons (anyone remember her?) at Tally Ho Studios in Ohio, I think I would've been in 7th Heaven. I knew even then that what Rubies was selling wasn't an ideal replica, but it was the only thing going at the time. Fast forward to a few years later at the rpf, and it became apparent that much better things were available. As I've said before, this is a very good time for collectors of this sort of ware. The final results may not be 100% exact to the original, but they are most definitely head and shoulders above what was available years ago.

If this thing is $6-10k, which we know it will at least be $6k, I'd hardly call it
"easily obtainable". Most people don't have that kind of cash to throw out for a non-essential item like this.

I don't know about that... you should see the kind of money being thrown around at the R2 Builder's club! :cry

I think it has followed the same progression that everything else seems to follow. Now that everybody can easily obtain a decent replica, the creativity, drive, innovation, passion, whatever you want to call it just died a little. (My argument is probably more to do with the garage kits vs. prepaints, because you truly can paint some of that stuff any way you like it. However this mass-produced replica market is sorta kinda the same thing.)

I would tend to disagree. The flip side of this is you have more people interested in the hobby and can bring their own take on this, looking at new items to build, expand their skillsets, etc. I could go and buy a replica anytime I feel like it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it. Do I have the time to go crazy like some of the artists in here? No. I work full time, don't have much extra in the way of free time to put into this. Granted, I'm new to this, but I've read a fair amount that smacks of a private club, no new members allowed. Maybe it's just a vocal minority and it's just me...

So I guess I'm in the middle group. I'm building a vader, buying some parts that are above my skill level, modifying what I feel comfortable doing. Do I not belong here? Am I wrong for asking the advice of more experienced people in here, "looking for something for nothing"?

Last edited:
It's said that if you have to ask, you can't afford it. I refrained from asking all this time because I thought I probably couldn't; now I know I can't! :lol BUT, this is an exceptionally nice Vader that will make those who can afford it pretty happy. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back