Sideshow 1:1 Darth Vader at SDCC?...

No chance they price it that high. They actually want to sell a few of these things and the only way that happens is if they don't price it out of the stratosphere. I'm guessing $6k on the low end and $8k on the high end. Anything more than that and their sales will be virtually non-existant.

I really think this Vader looks fantastic, and the more I look at it, the more I love it. This is gonna be a best seller I think.

A big congratulation to you Gino, very well done as usuall.:thumbsup

Not a sad thing at all. It is a complete difference in approach. You have people with a passion and the time and willingness to build something like this, but it can take YEARS to assemble a suit like this. Sites like TDH thrive on these kind of people.

On the other hand you have people who have a passion for the character but aren't willing to do all the work to assemble it themselves or to do all the research to acquire the HUNDREDS of individual pieces and then assemble them. Sideshow is providing these people the option to have a high quality version of that character with minimal effort.

So, you are looking at two completely different types of people. Our community doesn't really service that second group very well, so Sideshow has stepped in to fill the need.

Well stated Art. :thumbsup

Doug

Not a sad thing at all. It is a complete difference in approach. You have people with a passion and the time and willingness to build something like this, but it can take YEARS to assemble a suit like this. Sites like TDH thrive on these kind of people.

On the other hand you have people who have a passion for the character but aren't willing to do all the work to assemble it themselves or to do all the research to acquire the HUNDREDS of individual pieces and then assemble them. Sideshow is providing these people the option to have a high quality version of that character with minimal effort.

So, you are looking at two completely different types of people. Our community doesn't really service that second group very well, so Sideshow has stepped in to fill the need.

I guess we do forget about the other half. Good call Art.

This is what a lot of our members fail to grasp. In the grand scheme of things, we are a smaller portion than the "Ready-Made" crowd. For me, Sideshow lacks that "anal" accuracy I have grown accustomed to as a member here, but they must be doing something right because their stuff sells, inaccurate or not.

I wish something like this was available 6 years ago when I started mine.
I'm pretty anal about my own vader, but that's only because I had to sit
in front of my computer studying every picture and learning about all those
little nuances nobody else in the world cared about except me. Just think
how much I'd still love Star Wars if I just bought this and put it in the corner
to marvel at :lol

Personally I think this is gonna be a big hit with the public. Great job to
everyone involved.

Wow, what an arrogant statement!

I second that...

I think you've both misinterpreted what Clutch means... Instead of being a jab at those who'd like a ready-made Vader (nothing at all wrong with that), he's instead referring to the newer breed of rpf'er who wants everything (meaning info/research materiel/etc.) up front without having to do any footwork on it themselves, as if they were somehow entitled to it...

I think you've both misinterpreted what Clutch means... Instead of being a jab at those who'd like a ready-made Vader (nothing at all wrong with that), he's instead referring to the newer breed of rpf'er who wants everything (meaning info/research materiel/etc.) up front without having to do any footwork on it themselves, as if they were somehow entitled to it...

Hey James,

I'd like him to clarify his remarks because I don't think that's what he meant at all. I think he was taking a shot at anyone who would buy a ready-made statue for not taking the time or putting forth the effort to build one themselves. At least that's how it came off to me.

Hey James,

I'd like him to clarify his remarks because I don't think that's what he meant at all. I think he was taking a shot at anyone who would buy a ready-made statue for not taking the time or putting forth the effort to build one themselves. At least that's how it came off to me.

Hey bro..., :)

I'm pretty sure he wasn't disparaging anyone with a penchant for ready-made displays...

Like I said, I'd like him to clarify his remarks so we could know what he was really trying to say.

One thing is for sure, this thing kicks the hell out of the Rubies statue. I'd better unload that thing quick before the value drops through the floor. :lol

I think it looks great and would buy one if I could afford it. Those pecs do bother me a bit. I'm just wondering how Gino missed that. He's so particular about getting the details right. He did do a great job with it though. I know I'll never to be able to get one or have the room for it.

This is what a lot of our members fail to grasp. In the grand scheme of things, we are a smaller portion than the "Ready-Made" crowd. For me, Sideshow lacks that "anal" accuracy I have grown accustomed to as a member here, but they must be doing something right because their stuff sells, inaccurate or not.

Right. The people in that second group 1) are a much broader audience than we are and 2) don't care as much about the minute details as they care about the overall look. They want to look at it and say "yup, that looks like Vader to me." On the other hand we want to get in with a micrometer, find one measurement off my a mm and declare the entire project a piece of crap. Neither approach is wrong, but it would do a LOT of people here a lot of good to realize that those two groups do exist and that most of the licensees really aren't making things for us, but for that second group. When you can accept those pieces for what they were meant to be instead of trying to make them something they are not, suddenly, you see the genius and the value in them, even if you don't necessarily want them for yourself.

I came here because I saw the same thing happening with another hobby that I love - garage kit figure modeling. Once the big guys saw that there was money in it, they flooded the market with pre-paints. Now there's no need to be creative and 'roll your own'. Just buy a statue and stick it up on your shelf. Everybody has the exact same thing now.

I'm sure Sideshow noticed how the Vader helmet sold out in four minutes and smelled $$$. So now we can all have the exact same Vader (and Boba Fett) with little thought put into it. I connected that with the people who don't want to do any legwork and get instant gratification in this hobby. Perhaps too wide a stroke by my brush, but I see the similarities.

You just know it'll top 10k. I'm sure the licensing fee on it alone will be pretty high.

I don't have an issue with those who want ready made vs those who want to build their own. To each his own, you know? Still, for in excess of 10k, i'd personally feel a bit let down that for that type of cash I couldn't put it on. Not that I ever would, but knowing I couldn't would really suck :)

One thing is for sure, this thing kicks the hell out of the Rubies statue. I'd better unload that thing quick before the value drops through the floor. :lol

No doubts about that one! :wacko:lol

You just know it'll top 10k. I'm sure the licensing fee on it alone will be pretty high.

We'll have to wait and see, but that seems a bit on the high side...

I'm sure Sideshow noticed how the Vader helmet sold out in four minutes and smelled $$$. So now we can all have the exact same Vader (and Boba Fett) with little thought put into it. I connected that with the people who don't want to do any legwork and get instant gratification in this hobby. Perhaps too wide a stroke by my brush, but I see the similarities.

Ah, I read you wrong then. So Brent, you were right... :lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back