Sideshow 1:1 Darth Vader at SDCC?...

is it just me, or does it look like Vader has man-boobs?

Also, it might be cool if you could replace the head with the recently released eFX version.

Now that you mention it, he does seem to have slightly enhanced cleavage! :lol And as was mentioned, the efx helmet would be utterly out
of place on the ROTJ setup...

Is this really a 'prototype' or is it just one of Gino's life-size displays so Sideshow would have something to show ?

Yes, this is really a master, not one of Gino's personal display pieces.

I would imagine on a production piece it would not be wearable components but built for show.

This is correct. This is a display, like all of the other 1:1 displays. It is not meant to be wearable in any way. Someone else owns that license, not Sideshow.

Yeah, I suppose the ANH helmet would not work with the ROTJ body. The armor probably wouldn't match up either. I just love the look of the ANH helmet! Gino's ANH Vader statue is out of this world!!

The only thing that would give me pause before buying this one would be the chest area of the mannequin underneath. Otherwise, I think I may fork over the dough when this bad boy becomes available.

I'm sorry, but if she says 'um' one more time...

I think the wrinkling on the suit gives the illusion that Vader has more pronounced man-boobs.

Mummy position. :lol

Please don't be $10,000...

:lol
it won't be... it'll be more! :lol I mean if the Limited New Hope helmet alone is msrp $800 plus shipping you can only imagine what the whole shebang will be... :eek
only wish I could get one :confused

The sad thing is with all of these Sideshow pieces, you could get a more accurate, wearable costume for less than what they charge for a almost accurate, static piece.

The sad thing is with all of these Sideshow pieces, you could get a more accurate, wearable costume for less than what they charge for a almost accurate, static piece.

Yes, but then you have to try and make it look accurate on a mannequin and of all the self-made Vaders I've seen there are only a handful that actually look like he walked right off the set. Unfortunately most of them just look "off" and it usually comes down to the mannequin not being the right size, pose, etc.

Yep, the mannequin is definitely among the parts most difficult to render properly on any lifesize display, but I'd still take my chances with the do-it-yourself Vader, or any other lifesize for that matter, before I'd bother with licensed goods. SOMETHING is bound to be off due to the limitations of mass production. No offense intended to anyone who worked on the Sideshow Vader...

remember this is a prototype and not the final so hopefully the boo-pecs can be altered before production. I'd be curious to see compare shots of finely tuned fan made parts to the eFX production pieces... if eFX parts aren't too off a little touching up and modifying could be done to spruce it up... that being said, from the looks of this (and the Boba Fett) I'd be happy as a lark to have these in my home... and it is a known fact that larks are quite happy! :lol

Not a sad thing at all. It is a complete difference in approach. You have people with a passion and the time and willingness to build something like this, but it can take YEARS to assemble a suit like this. Sites like TDH thrive on these kind of people.

On the other hand you have people who have a passion for the character but aren't willing to do all the work to assemble it themselves or to do all the research to acquire the HUNDREDS of individual pieces and then assemble them. Sideshow is providing these people the option to have a high quality version of that character with minimal effort.

So, you are looking at two completely different types of people. Our community doesn't really service that second group very well, so Sideshow has stepped in to fill the need.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back