Should I break it to him?

yakcam

Sr Member
Well, I need a little advice.

I was about to purchase a Vader item on ebay and this guy sent me a mail saying that he has a helmet made by a guy who has moulds/molds made from the original Vader helmet and he's willing to do me a copy.

Well I thought I'd send a message to see what he had, hoping for something good, well here's his email.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Kraig,

I'm sorry I couldn't send these pics sooner. I hope they are to your liking. My camera does not take the best pictures, but I think these show the helmet fairly well.

The lenses appear very red due to the direct sunlight and a white towel behind the lenses to protect the helmet from the stand. The helmet in the pics is the one I originally bought.

As described before, it comes from a mold that was taken directly from an original screen used helmet for the original Star Wars movie (E IV, ANH). I spent hundreds of dollars making very precise molds from my helmet, to ensure an exact copy.

I purchased the helmet on eBay for $985.00 plus $50.00 shipping, from a well known prop maker (in the secretive prop community) called Underlord, who used to be an ILM insider during the original trilogy days. I felt that the price was way too high, but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to own something so close to the original.

So my plan was, from the start, to buy the helmet, make molds and a copy for myself, then re-sell the original. I have since sold the original (for $795.00) and am preparing to ship it now. When I happened to come across the auction you were bidding on, I couldn't be silent and watch you pay too much.

I hadn't planned on making copies for other people, but I knew I could get you the exact same thing, possibly better quality, for much less. I wanted to help. I felt like I might be butting into business where I didn't belong. I'm glad you were receptive to my message. I'm not sure how you plan to get out of the current auction (if you decide you want my helmet, that is). I know you can retract a bid, but I don't know what kind of consequences follow. I wouldn't want your reputation to be damaged.

Let me know what you decide to do and I will help you out in any way that I can. Thanks for your interest and friendly communication. Take care, mate.

Kind regards,

xxxxxxxx

P.S. I'm over in Milwauke, Oregon (very close to Portland, Oregon) USA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I know what you're thinking, screw him he's a recaster. Well, I don't think he's a member of the RPF and I think he thinks he has a genuine item. I've had more than one email from this guy and he seems to be very nice.

Now my options are, say....

"No thanks, I already have one, which I do :unsure (I got it before I even knew the RPF existed)."

"Well let me tell you a little I know about the origin of your helmet...."

...or just say "Thanks for your offer, but, no thanks"

I just don't want to burst this guys bubble, I know how I felt when mine was burst :cry :eek:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kraig

This is sad, and funny all in the same breath. Honesty is the best policy, just shoot him straight. I think what sells the spfx is the dome... The dome looks great. I know its been discussed a hundred times, and I am not trying to start a war, but who originally made the dome ? , and is it possible to buy just that dome ?

Kell

Kraig,

It sounds like a lot of BS to me, especially the line

it comes from a mold that was taken directly from an original screen used helmet for the original Star Wars movie (E IV, ANH).

Has he sent you any pics so you know which helmet it is?

Its hard to know if he's unaware or trying it on so imo you should tell him

Cheers

jez

So my plan was, from the start, to buy the helmet, make molds and a copy for myself, then re-sell the original. I have since sold the original (for $795.00) and am preparing to ship it now. When I happened to come across the auction you were bidding on, I couldn't be silent and watch you pay too much.

I hadn't planned on making copies for other people, but I knew I could get you the exact same thing, possibly better quality, for much less.

So isn't this bloke a recaster anyways?.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but from what he said in the email to you (see above) he has bought an ANH Vader helmet from spfx, made moulds from it, re-sold the original spfx helmet and is now planning on selling you a helmet which he's made himself from the moulds??..??..

I know there has been some debate over where the spfx helmet came from, but "2 wrongs don't make a right".
In my book this guy is a recaster and should be avoided like the plague. :angry
Might also be an idea to let eBay know that he's trying to sell you something *outside* of eBay and get his membership cancelled?

Just my 2 cents, of course...

Cheers,
John

Sounds like he's trawling eBay for buyers. Did he contact you through eBay...or how did that happen?

While he does come across as amiable in his email, well, nice people aren't automatically honest people.

Cheers.
TJ

Yes, he's a recaster.

"I hadn't planned on making copies for other people" I call bullsh#t.

Yes, you might say it's ok because he's recasting SPFX's helmet, but that means that that many more people are gonna get burnt.

And to be quite honest, I haven't seen any evidence that proves SPFX is a recaster. So I can't say anything for or against SPFX.

Originally posted by jeezycreezy@Jan 20 2006, 09:42 AM
Sounds like he's trawling eBay for buyers.  Did he contact you through eBay...or how did that happen?

While he does come across as amiable in his email, well, nice people aren't automatically honest people. 

Cheers.
TJ
[snapback]1163653[/snapback]​

....agreed...after rereading his reply to you a couple of times....several warning bells are going off:

1) recaster - by his own admission, he bought the helmet just to recast it

2) trawling - good call TJ...that's exactly what he's doing....against ebay policy

3) something about his style of writing/syntax suggests that he's not from Oregon.

...as stated, I'd educate him as to what he seems to be doing and then shoot ebay an FYI....then I'd ask the Mods if posting his ebay handle here is acceptable so others don't fall for this....

If he thought the helmet was screenused as he claims, then he wouldn't be a recaster, at least not intentionally, as this community has been defining it (screenused being fair game).

Of course, if he's dishonest then he could be feigning that misconception to get around that.

Originally posted by Treadwell@Jan 20 2006, 09:32 AM
If he thought the helmet was screenused as he claims, then he wouldn't be a recaster, at least not intentionally, as this community has been defining it (screenused being fair game).

Of course, if he's dishonest then he could be feigning that misconception to get around that.
[snapback]1163701[/snapback]​

he says:
"it comes from a mold that was taken directly from an original screen used helmet "

he doesn't say:
"I have a screenused helmet."

Originally posted by Treadwell@Jan 20 2006, 03:32 PM

I disagree.

The way I read it he says he bought a replica. The replica was supposedly second gen. from a screen used helmet.

He made a copy of the replica for himself and sold the original.

He is now making replicas of his replica of a replica, ergo recasting

No way did he buy a screen used Vader helmet for $985 off eBay.

Cheers.
TJ

Also, why would he plunk down 1035 total for it, then spend a few hundred more for molds and THEN sell it for 795 if he had only intended on making a copy for himself?

Furthermore, how much sense does it make for someone to buy a replica helmet and recreate a single copy only to sell it at a slight loss? That's just stupid.

The amount of time and material that would go into recasting a single helmet would negate any financial savings; a sane person would have just kept the original.

The only person who would do this is someone who wanted to make multiple copies. I think you would have to be more than a little naive to buy his cock and bull story.

It smacks of the sort of spiel I got from JB once upon a time.

Cheers.
TJ

Originally posted by clutch@Jan 20 2006, 04:42 PM
Also, why would he plunk down 1035 total for it, then spend a few hundred more for molds and THEN sell it for 795 if he had only intended on making a copy for himself?
[snapback]1163711[/snapback]​

... exactly what I thought and wanted to say - :thumbsup

It sounds like a scam to me. Why would he care about anyone paying to much other than to line his own pockets?

He seems to be playing the nice guy who wants to help bit, but is hiding his own agenda.

I might be wrong, but I don't trust him.

FB

""it comes from a mold that was taken directly from an original screen used helmet ""

Sounds like whoever told him that information "borrowed" the origin story of Darth Jones' helmet.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back