She's my Cherry Pie!!! - Not anymore - Warrant lead singer found DEAD.

I saw an interview with him a few years back where he said he absolutely hated The Cherry Pie song. He said it was something he threw together and thought it was a joke. He said if he had to keep hearing it he would shoot himself. I think later in life some of those demons were the fact that Hair Metal was looked down upon and he feels like his talents were never taken serious.

I saw an interview with him a few years back where he said he absolutely hated The Cherry Pie song. He said it was something he threw together and thought it was a joke. He said if he had to keep hearing it he would shoot himself.

You will find this attitude to be true of many artist, especially the 80s bands... They wrote stupid cheesy music (top 40 pop song or a ballad) under the pressure of record labels direction and insistence to make a cheesy song they could sell to rotation at radio stations and that was the one song that sold and became a hit, and it irks many artist... A lot of them are very talented artist and singer/song writers but the corporate music business never let them write what they wanted... Ironically a lot of them are now are penning songs and sound tracks for TV shows and newer artist anonymously...

And yet Lemmy,Ozzy,and Keith Richards are still alive and trucking on.....

Never could stand the whole Hair Metal thing,gave metal a cheesy,vapid image it doesn't deserve anytime I hear most of it I have to restrain myself from wanting to shoot or somehow destroy the radio.

Never could stand the whole Hair Metal thing,gave metal a cheesy,vapid image it doesn't deserve anytime I hear most of it I have to restrain myself from wanting to shoot or somehow destroy the radio.

I agree except for one band --
def-leppard-colour526.jpg

All of the glam metal bands stole Lep's sound anyway. Even Cherry Pie was Warrant trying to write a Pour Some Sugar on Me type of hit.

pour some sugar on me is one of def's worst songs

Dude, 10million strippers can't be wrong.

I get it - though - if someone brings up Lep you reach back to On Through The Night or High and Dry and HATE anything from Pyromania onward - right?? Hysteria is a perfect album - and I'd even say, the best album by any band in the 80's. Sugar is a fun tune - always will be.

I want to know what happened with Vivian Campbell. He was an amazing guitarist in Dio (Holy Diver era) but compleatly sucked as soon as he joined DefLep. What the hell happened :lol.

I want to know what happened with Vivian Campbell. He was an amazing guitarist in Dio (Holy Diver era) but compleatly sucked as soon as he joined DefLep. What the hell happened :lol.

The ball bounces both ways on that - Def Leppard sucked as soon as he joined them as well. They're not as good without Steve Clark and Campbell was a poor choice to take his place. I'll admit, Lepp hasn't been good since Hysteria (although I do like the Slang album a lot) - but Campbell belongs in one of those bands who tend to be more.... ahem - camera shy.

The ball bounces both ways on that - Def Leppard sucked as soon as he joined them as well. They're not as good without Steve Clark and Campbell was a poor choice to take his place. I'll admit, Lepp hasn't been good since Hysteria (although I do like the Slang album a lot) - but Campbell belongs in one of those bands who tend to be more.... ahem - camera shy.

Don't get me wrong, I was a huge DefLep fan (well up to Hysteria anyway). But listen to the lead work on holy diver (Dio) and then listen to what he does on any of the Lep albums, it does not even sound like the same player at all :confused.

On the Jani Lane death, he came down to the local rock bar that all of the bands from the area hung out at during that time on one of the tours. We shot pool and hung out with him and two other members of Warrent (actually the two other members came down to the bar first and we did not know who they were and just invited them to shoot some pool Jani Lane showed up later with a big guy :lol:lol:lol). They were nice guys. It is shame when this stuff happens.

I was a kid when Warrant and the majority of the hair bands became popular. DRFSR was one of the very first cassette tapes I ever purchased. I went on to purchase Cherry Pie in 1990. Then, a breeze from Seattle came through. With wind, comes change. Grunge nearly killed every glam band on the scene. However, I did end up buying my last Warrant album in '92. "Dog Eat Dog", I thought it was a departure from their previous records. I enjoyed it. Until now, I thought it was their last album. I guess being a teenager in the hayday of Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Soundgarden allowed me to forget the bands of the past.

The day before I Lane died, I watched "The Down Boys" video on VH1 classic. I had not seen it since high school, so we're talking nearly . . . well a few decades. :)

It was one of those "Man, I used to like this?" moments. What the hell is that song about? Really? Why does he want to go where the down boys go?

But, beside all that, he did seem like a nice guy and I'm sad for his family. I'm sure people were heartbroken that he couldn't overcome his addiction, and they are heartbroken he's gone, and that sucks.

Jet, I like Def Leppard too. I make no apologies for it. I liked Slang. I don't love the entire catalog, but I've counted myself a fan for most of my life. They've been one of my favorite bands since I heard the original "bringing on the heartbreak" and Steve Clark's guitar work in that just floored me. IMHO that song is a perfect example of what a les paul should sound like.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back