Sherlock BBC - Complete Grimm's Dust Jacket

Phuzz Phace

Hi all! I'm new here - been lurking for a few months and having a blast. This is my first topic I'm starting here and it relates to the BBC TV show 'Sherlock'.
I'm wondering if anybody has tackled recreating the vintage dust jacket on the copy of the Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales that Sherlock receives from Moriarty. From what I have read online, this version of Grimm's with this dust jacket is hard to come by - dating from the 1940s. I've bought a friend who is a HUGE fan of the show Sherlock the 1972 Random House edition (nice and clean!) for her birthday and thought it might be fun to have a replica dust jacket that looks like the one on the show. So, has anybody tackled this yet? Are there resources for vintage dust jackets? Any and all help much appreciated.
tumblr_m0ldxegvVI1r2aigko1_500.png

There is one on eBay.co.uk, I just checked. Just type the book title and the year and you'll find it. The 6 pictures on there are decent quality. Enough to see some details at least. Buying it would save you the trouble of re-creating it.

Thanks for that! I may pull the trigger on it. Though, I have been thinking of making a replica dust cover and incorporating my friend's name along with names/places/things from Sherlock into the fine print.

I bought the correct book from eBay. I have scanned the cover and have it available. It's a 4Mb file though, so no point putting it on my usual Photobucket account. Send me a PM if you'd like me to email you the file. :thumbsup

I bought the correct book from eBay. I have scanned the cover and have it available. It's a 4Mb file though, so no point putting it on my usual Photobucket account. Send me a PM if you'd like me to email you the file. :thumbsup

Awesome, Howlrunner! Thank you! PM sent.

I've emailed the scanned cover image to those who have PMed me. It's just the raw scan though, so you will probably want to clean it up a bit (there are a few small rips on there etc). Looking at the screen cap above I'd say that it's probably an altered scan of the real book - the actual book I have is at least double the thickness (double the number of pages) of the one shown above, and I'm fairly sure there weren't any other real versions of this book with fewer pages. So you will probably want to alter the spine section of the scan to accommodate a thinner book too.

I've emailed the scanned cover image to those who have PMed me. It's just the raw scan though, so you will probably want to clean it up a bit (there are a few small rips on there etc). Looking at the screen cap above I'd say that it's probably an altered scan of the real book - the actual book I have is at least double the thickness (double the number of pages) of the one shown above, and I'm fairly sure there weren't any other real versions of this book with fewer pages. So you will probably want to alter the spine section of the scan to accommodate a thinner book too.

Many thanks, Howlrunner! You just made me very happy! Cheers!

A huge thank you to Howlrunner for the original scan.
Here's a fixed and cleaned version for you all!
Enjoy! :D

Attachments

• Grimm's Fairy Tales Fixed & Cleaned by WH.jpg
    Grimm's Fairy Tales Fixed & Cleaned by WH.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back