Serenity "Better Days" Comic book covers sculpture -Adam Hughes homage

ive been watching this for a while and I gotta say "WOW" im lovin this. looking forward to more progress pictures. keep up the awesome work!!:love

Hi all,
thank you so much for all the kind comments!

here's the start of Simon and Kaylee, got them roughed out here for a size comparison:
group (2).JPG

When I'm happy with the size I started to flesh out the anatomy:
Kaylee sculpt (7).JPGKaylee sculpt (8).JPGKaylee sculpt (9).JPGKaylee sculpt (10).JPG

Kaylee sculpt (19).JPG

More to follow soon!
-Matt

I found these great production photos to help get Simon's proportions right, since the comic cover cuts him off above the knees :)
still he has short legs:
simon.jpgSimonTam11.jpg

Kaylee sculpt (11).JPG
Kaylee sculpt (12).JPG
Kaylee sculpt (13).JPG
Kaylee sculpt (14).JPG
Kaylee sculpt (15).JPG

As for Kaylee, I started off here giving here the shoes from the movie Serenity:

Kaylee sculpt (17).JPGKaylee sculpt (18).JPG

Kaylee (37).jpg

But I think I like the TV versions better, which are army style boots:

Kaylee (44).jpg

Thanks for watching and your supporting comments!
-Matt

Here's Kaylee taken further along, Simon still needs a lot of work though:
Kaylee and Simon sculpt (21).JPGKaylee and Simon sculpt (20).JPGKaylee and Simon sculpt (19).JPG

Here's some detail on the gadgets on Kaylee's belt, as best as I can figure them out from the artwork:

Kaylee and Simon sculpt (26).JPGKaylee and Simon sculpt (24).JPGKaylee and Simon sculpt (25).JPGKaylee and Simon sculpt (22).JPG

betterdays03scanqz9.jpg

Looking forward to your feedback,
-Matt

Attachments

• Kaylee and Simon sculpt (23).JPG
    Kaylee and Simon sculpt (23).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
Hi all,
sorry for the delay, I have River all but done and will post pics shortly.
I contacted my friends at Gentle Giant and Sideshow to see if they would want to produce the set, and the let me know that Quantum Mechanix has the current rights.

I've tried a few ways to get a hold of them, but no dice.

If any of you have their contact info, or a way to send this to Andy there, I'd be very grateful!

thanks again for your interest and for your positive support,
-Matt

I hope they back your sculpt/or you can get a limited run!! if not there idiots. you have done a great job so far and im looking forward to pictures of a fully painted/all together scene!!

Here's a cleaner shot of these three all together.
Group sculpt (19).jpg

I've been keying in Jayne and Shepherd to get them ready for molding and casting.

Also, here's some shots of my rough River sculpt:

River rough.JPGRiver rough (2).JPGRiver rough (3).JPGRiver rough (4).JPGRiver rough (5).JPGRiver rough (6).JPG

much more to follow soon :D
-Matt

so what happened with your G.G. and sideshow contacts?? any news on any possible deal for you :confused

No traction yet, Ive had a lot of family drama latley, so it's been on the back burner.
The liscence holder for sculptures is currently Quantum Mechanix, and I can't seen to be able to get a hold of them yet.
After everything settles down here for me, I plan on getting some answers.

I'd like to have something settled before Comic Con San Diego! We'll see.
Thanks again for watching
-Matt

Sorry for the delay, here's the latest on River Tam:
River Sculpt.JPG
River Sculpt (4).JPG
River Sculpt (6).JPG

The little origami Serenity she's floating will be a problem to mold :)

Next is a going over of all the sculpts to get a uniform finish on them, and then adding the stacks of cash.

Almost done!
-and thanks again for the kind comments guys!
-Matt

Amazing work. As great as the sculpts are, I really think they'll shine once you paint them. All your hard work will really pop with highlighting.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back