SENTRY ROBOT costume

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Cyberman, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Cyberman

Cyberman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Guys,

A little while ago I started an interest thread was very keen on moving on the creation of a full SENTRY ROBOT cotume as seen in The Black Hole. A few members where also on board with the project and I can't remember exactly who but 2 chaps owned real plugs for the original costumes and where in the process or restoring and molding the plugs. I was wondering if anyone has started on this or got any further on with its creation?

Cheers

Cyb.

2. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I was party to this project.

I had (for a while) the torso and head. It went back to the owner and then off to someone else.

So it's out there.

3. clanger68

clanger68 Well-Known Member

I would love to see a Sentry robot come to fruition and obviously VINCENT.

Wasn't a (stunt?) STAR helmet and a SENTRY head and torso out there somewhere?

I think Black Hole props are great and so underated.

Cheers,

Andy.

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I was in posession of this for a while but eventually sent it back to the owner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. clanger68

Argh, getting the dreaded red crosses at the moment. :(

edit............oops, scrub that they're coming through now. :)

6. clanger68

Wow. :eek

Amazing stuff, thank you for posting those.

Apologies for my ignorance but what is the history behind the above?

.........and what happened to the project?

Cheers,

Andy.

7. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

Count me in as a BIG Black Hole Fan. I'd love to jump on some replica props from the movie.

8. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

They have a 1:1 scale Cygnus in Paris....

... no, wait that's the Eifel tower isnt't it. :lol

SAS

9. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

:lol
    Jim

10. Cyberman

If memory serves me those pics are of the ORIGINAL solid plaster PLUG as used for to make the mold for the Sentry Robot costumes used in the film. But it needed a lot of work doing to this plug (as it became damaged and chipped) to get it cleaned up and to the standard required to remold it. It seemed to me like no one was in the mood to take this project on as it was constantly being shelved... which is a great shame as the Sentry Robot costume is a work of art.
    [​IMG]

Cyb.

11. clanger68

Cheers Cyb.

The Sentry Robot certainly is a piece of art.

Slightly influenced in design by a certain Sith Lord methinks, but definitely a work of art nonetheless.

Is that pic above of the plug before clean up commenced, or is it something different?

As Maximillian is at the French Disney Planet Hollywood you actually got me going for a second, it's late and the 1:1 bit didn't register straight away. :lol

Andy.

12. Cyberman

The pic above is of an actual screen used Head and torso as used in the film, not a plug :)

13. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Wow. Great pics. I too love The Black Hole and always enjoyed the props. I once had a really good Cyngus over/under laser pistol, which to me is still one of the most unique designs. The Sentry Robots are right up there near the Cylons for my all time favorite robots (especially STAR. :D).

Thanks for posting those pics.

14. Cyberman

Are there any sculptors craftmen or designers wanting to come onboard to help to re-create a full body suit of the Black Hole Sentry... Its about time we resurrect this unrated Robot.

Cyb.

15. Rocketbobs

Rocketbobs Well-Known Member

I own STAR's stunt head. it actually gets as much screen time as the fiberglass one. Watch for the neck bending...thats mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Cyberman

That looks great.

Could you supply measurements so I can start work on a replica version?

Cyb. :)

17. DarkLordSalvo

DarkLordSalvo Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm planning to start tackling this. Go to order some sculpture foam this week.

Hey Rocketbobs. ;)

18. Cyberman

Hey... Don't let me thinking about making a costume put you off... go ahead.:p

So when you think of starting? Rocketbob kindly sent me some measurements of his Star Mask...

Cyb.

19. DarkLordSalvo

I didn't intend for it to sound like I was discouraged, Cy.
    Got my measurements from Rocketbobs also.

As for when I thought about trying it, it's been in the back of my head and I've never seen anyone do it. Apart from all the geometry that goes into the face, the rest of the suit doesn't look too difficult.

20. Rocketbobs

Good luck you guys. Let me know if you need anything else.

21. DarkLordSalvo

Watched the robot scenes on DVD and studied them a bit. (S.T.A.R. is definately the "Boba Fett" of that movie.)

It looks like the upper arms are made of vinyl or leather because the buckle and fold a little bit. Not all the time, but just for certain scenes. The "diaper" also looks like it's pliable to some extent and seems held together at the sides by the discs on the hip.

The gloves seem like they are cut-down '60's PLANET OF THE APES gorilla soldier gloves. They have the same ribbed detailing just a shorter length going up the arm.

I could be wrong on all counts though...

22. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

Hey, guys. Has anyone made any progress on the Sentry Robot project? :)

Bill

23. Cyberman

IF theres enough people interested in the project I'll go ahead and at least sculpt a head...

So PM me if you're interested and I'll go ahead ... Excuse the pun LOL

Cyb.

24. DarkLordSalvo

I started collecting measurements, pictures, got some sculpture foam and even did a few enlargement drawings from photos but had to put it all on the back burner. I hope I can start again soon. I thought about doing some modifications and customizing my old FX Trooper for the thighs but wasn't sure if this fell into the recasting issue so I didn't pursue it. Would it have since it would be changing the whole appearance?

I don't want it to be an issue. :unsure

25. Beagle Bill

26. Rocketbobs

Some of the shots of STAR are done with the stunt suit. it is made from a thick rubber material. It is built up in layers like fiberglass. I own the STAR stunt helmet. The helmet is used as much if not more than the actual hero helmet. His big melt down scene is mostly my helmet. You can tell cause the neck flexes as he has his fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Beagle Bill

Thanks for the info, Bob. :)

Bill

28. darth billy

darth billy Well-Known Member

Oh wow that is one of the coolest props ive ever seen.I love the black hole its one of my favorite films.

Billy

29. Beagle Bill

Does anyone know a close match to the color the reddish marroon sentries were painted?

Bill

30. Rocketbobs

Was asked to repost these. Replica Sentry...figured I,d park them in this thread.

Cast from original plaster buck from the film. The eyes are chrome sink drain pipe instead of mylar. Window screen mesh...like the original.

The casting was one piece when I got it. I made the helmet a seperate section and added in all the part lines that the actual suits in the film had. Enjoy.

31. Red Eye

Red Eye Member

Thanks for posting the photos again, Rocketbobs!

I wonder if you have more reference photos of the Sentry to share...

Please PM me if you like.

32. Cyberman

My all time favour Robot... I love this design! Are these available somewhere?:love