Seeking Ideas for Attaching a Jetpack

Blue Leader

Sr Member
Greetings, I'm in need of some ideas for attaching the jetpack to the back of my Phase Zero Dark Trooper armor. I've been wracking my brain trying to think of some way to do it but I haven't come up with much so far, aside from screws which I'll leave as a last option. The jetpack has to sit fairly flush and flat to the back of the armor (the back is essentially standard Imperial stormtrooper armor) and I don't want to rivet it on because I want to be able to remove it when I store the costume between troops. Using screws is an option but I'd rather not have to mess with taking out and putting in screws while I'm trying to suit up, and I'd rather not have to bring a screwdriver with me all the time.

I don't think that webbing and side-release buckles like some costumers use on their Boba Fett armor would work as the Dark Trooper pack sits differently on the armor, and there's no good way to hide the straps and buckles. At least not that I can think of. I envision something that maybe I can just insert through drilled-out holes on the back armor and then turn or clamp to lock it in place, or maybe something that has caps at the ends that just need to be pinched in to remove the jetpack from the armor... or something. Something secure and sturdy but doesn't require a lot of work when I'm suiting up or taking things off.

Does anyone have any ideas for something that I could use? Any ideas would be appreciated. Here's a picture of how the pack sits on the back armor, more or less...
2-BDEFA6-C-0509-48-CC-90-B4-80-FDB0181931.jpg

Several strong and probably medium to large sized (but flat) rare earth magnets. Some in the jetpack and an equal number of magnets inside the armor mirroring the positions of those in the jetpack.

Well, I guess that will also depend on how much the jetpack weighs and how sturdy it and the armor are.

I envision something that maybe I can just insert through drilled-out holes on the back armor and then turn or clamp to lock it in place, or maybe something that has caps at the ends that just need to be pinched in to remove the jetpack from the armor... or something.
Wingnuts?

Whatever method you choose, do reinforce the back armour so that it is sufficiently thick so the plastic does not tear too easily.

Depending on the thickness of the armour, you could possibly even mount the pack with NO holes - And for free!

Do you have any old hard drives kicking about you can rip apart?
If so, grab the magnets from those - You'll need at least 4, ideally 8 - and simply epoxy 2/4 inside the armour, and matching pairs inside the jetpack.

Hooks or bolts. Ive used bolts in the past and assembled prior to wearing the kit. I wouldnt recommend magnets if you plan on going to conventions with it, it will get knocked off and probably crack.

Wingnuts?

Whatever method you choose, do reinforce the back armour so that it is sufficiently thick so the plastic does not tear too easily.
Wingnuts... Don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Yeah, that would probably work. I’ll just have to brainstorm how to put them on seeing as the jetpack is already assembled and painted. I’m thinking that the screw poles would be sticking up from the back of the pack and go into holes on the back armor, with the nuts hidden inside the back armor. Hmm...

Depending on the thickness of the armour, you could possibly even mount the pack with NO holes - And for free!

Do you have any old hard drives kicking about you can rip apart?
If so, grab the magnets from those - You'll need at least 4, ideally 8 - and simply epoxy 2/4 inside the armour, and matching pairs inside the jetpack.
I’m not sure that magnets would be strong enough to hold it, and seeing as the jetpack would sit vertically I think that it would just slide off. The pack is fairly large.

Hooks or bolts. Ive used bolts in the past and assembled prior to wearing the kit. I wouldnt recommend magnets if you plan on going to conventions with it, it will get knocked off and probably crack.
What kind of hooks and bolts do ui

Wingnuts... Don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Yeah, that would probably work. I’ll just have to brainstorm how to put them on seeing as the jetpack is already assembled and painted. I’m thinking that the screw poles would be sticking up from the back of the pack and go into holes on the back armor, with the nuts hidden inside the back armor. Hmm...

I’m not sure that magnets would be strong enough to hold it, and seeing as the jetpack would sit vertically I think that it would just slide off. The pack is fairly large.

What kind of hooks and bolts do ui
I just used regular bolts that went through the pack and then wingnuts on the inside of the armor. Im not sure how heavy your pack is. I had a Man of War Jetpack and I think I used 1/4in bolts and wingnuts.

Industrial strength velcro (self sticking)
At least 2 strips of 2" wide velcro horizontally.
For added strength use some CA glue around the edges to prevent peal up.

My friends and I used it for our early version of our snow trooper before we saw one on display with out a back plate.
We used a TIE pilot back plate with velcro to attache the back pack.

Those are the words of someone who has never pinched the bit of skin between their thumb and forefinger between two hard-drive magnets ;)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back