Sebastian's Immortal Game Chess Set - The Final Cut

Doppelganger01

Sr Member
It's been such a long journey for me on this project. I cannot believe that I have finally finished it, and realized my re-envisioning of Sebastian's Chess Set. It has been my passion for about three years now and I feel a catharsis now that it is complete. As is common with me, none of these items are film accurate. They are my Blade Runner inspired creations - sculpted and built from scratch. I hope you like them.

"Sebastian's Immortal Game - The Final Cut" - a set on Flickr

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklross/albums/72157633126249463
LARGE 2013 CRATE SET

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklross/albums/72157650289526095 BOX ART 2012

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklross/albums/72157630056558410 LIGHTED CHESS BOARD 2012

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricklross/albums/72157623488588553 SEBASTIAN'S IMMORTAL GAME 2010

http://kipple-maker01.deviantart.com/gallery/[/URL]

Rick

Last edited:
Don't kill the messenger, but there's a typing error in the german inscription. It's Schachfiguren instead of Shachfiguren. Still a great build!

Thank you. I do appreciate you pointing that out. I'm embarrassed that I made that error but I'm at the shop now correcting it. Thank you again. :)

Thank you again, Quinsen. I have made the correction to the crate. Even in English I'm a terrible speller.

Rick

SIGFC2web.jpg

For the past month I have been revisiting this project and revising the design of Sebastian's Chess Set Crate. When I first introduced the crate in 2010, along with my interpretation of his "bird chess set", it was what I imagined he received them in from "The Red Dragon Kipple Company". My idea was that R.D.K.C. is a company that could exist in both Philip K. Dick's, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" universe, and in Mr. Scott's, "Blade Runner" universe. Primarily, they would have offices throughout the world, with a home office in Paris. Their "Kipple-Techs" and "Repurp-Techs" (short for repurpose technicians) would search the abandoned structures of Earth for any kipple left behind by the "Off-Worlders". They would then repurpose and, or resell these forgotten items to the remaining populace of Earth, or to an Off-Worlder who simply wanted a bit of kipple from their home world. In my mental travels through the universes established by Mr. Dick and Mr. Scott I came to feel that such an entity would inevitably come to exist. In the case of J.F. Sebastian, perhaps from time to time, he would add to his collection of toys by purchasing kipple from R.D.K.C., at least those items of kipple he could not find on his own. The idea of a shipping crate for his chess pieces was born out of the back story that R.D.K.C. Kipple Techs found the Bird Chess Set in an abandoned apartment of Old Paris. From their home office, at what once was "Le Musee du Centre Pompidou, the set was shipped to him in Los Angeles via suborbital transport at some time prior to the story we all know so well.

I am still very pleased with the crate design that I made in 2010. But, sometime after I completed that project, someone at Propsummit, I believe, mentioned to me that it would be great if I could somehow incorporate a playing field for the birds into the crate. I spent so much time developing a back story for Sebastian's Chess Set, that I overlooked such a simple element in the design of the 2010 crate and it has been bothering me ever since. Finally, I have not only gotten around to redesigning a larger crate that could have an appropriately scaled playing board on the inside of the lid, but I have also been able to make enhancements to some of the labels and add a few more graphical elements to dial it in a little closer to my back story for the set. I hope you like the newly redesigned crate.

SebastianChessSet2013_1_zps59bdc8bd.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_2_zps5b1039b3.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_3_zpsb2452996.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_4_zps6c306601.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_5_zps2c06721e.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_6_zps6d926e2f.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_7_zps5972a475.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_8_zps474ad8b8.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_9_zpsf5160be9.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_10_zps2196c901.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_11_zpsf34c9735.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_12_zpsde306e4a.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_13_zps09876eb2.jpg

SebastianChessSet2013_14_zps367e92fc.jpg

Correction made.

Last edited:
Thank you. I sincerely appreciate that you like it. I really enjoy exploring the unseen possibilities of a film's universe, especially the Blade Runner universe. That film was so visually layered and textured by Mr Scott's direction that you can almost see objects in the shadows and around corners that the camera did not see.

The wooden crate by Rick Ross looks great with the other Blade Runner items on display and with the chess set as well.

I still have my Rick Ross Chess Set. 2010. I haven't got a light-up table. I still have the original wooden crate (original version).
The new crate design looks smart too...plus the addition of the chess board lid is a good idea.

I bought a damaged 'Aliens versus Predator' chess set for a good price...(I fixed the large temple style board). I ditched the Predator & Aliens chess pieces. A few Aliens chess pieces I kept for display with my other Alien stuff.

The "Aztec Temple" style of the AvsP chess board looks kind of cool with my wooden chess board on top plus the Sebastian Bird chess pieces. The AvsP chess board opens up to store the chess pieces if you want to. I use an acrylic "dust cover" to keep the pieces clean.

Attachments

• bladerunner_chess_set3.jpg
    bladerunner_chess_set3.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 190
  • bladerunner_chess_set4.jpg
    bladerunner_chess_set4.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 206
  • bladerunner_chess_set5.jpg
    bladerunner_chess_set5.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 467
  • bladerunner_chess_set6.jpg
    bladerunner_chess_set6.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 309
  • bladerunner_chess_set6b.jpg
    bladerunner_chess_set6b.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back