Searching planet Earth for an aluminum Bapty blaster grip

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Plainsrunner, May 15, 2018.

1. Plainsrunner

Plainsrunner New Member

Is there anyone out there that is capable of molding, or molds Bapty E11 aluminum grips? These would be the grips that they used in Tunisia in A New Hope. I've been searching everywhere for one and it's my biggest obstacle in the build I'm working on. I'm attempting a build from a real Sterling and need to keep it as accurate as possible.

Please!

2. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Kurtyboy is the only member I can recall who has replicated the aluminum castings for a stunt blaster.

3. Plainsrunner

Plainsrunner New Member

Thanks. I've reached out to him via PM.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. Plainsrunner

Plainsrunner New Member

Well, Kurtyboy was good enough to get back to me. The person that made his grip is retired/inactive and doesn't have a forwarding address. So far all of my leads for one of these grips have come up empty. They simply don't exist. :(

I'm now contemplating attempting a cast myself. Am I crazy?

- - - Updated - - -

OR should I just go inaccurate and use my Sterling grips? I was really attempting screen accuracy here, so I don't like that option.

5. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I contacted him about this as well, a while back.

Technically, the prop team did cast them themselves so creating something that looks close enough would be accurate :)

6. Plainsrunner

Plainsrunner New Member

What did you ultimately decide to do? Are you just using the Sterling grips for now?

7. thd9791

I gave up until I could find an MGC or an airsoft honestly.

I talked to the ATF and got an interesting email back about welding inside pieces together and some other things to make it non-functional. Way out of my league... :(

8. Plainsrunner

Plainsrunner New Member

Yes you have to weld some things inside the chamber so that they are comfortable it's non-functional. Mine doesn't have a barrel, receiver, and the receiver chamber is blocked by welds.

Even though I'm comfortable I have all the inside pieces welded to their satisfaction, I'm going to pour molten aluminum into the chamber after I get the tube inserted into it. This will turn the entire receiver chamber into a solid block of metal. I like to overdo things like that. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  9. thd9791

Man, if you have a way to do a second one to specs like that, let me know! If the entire thing was a welded hunk of metal I think thats okay

10. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Field Marshall has plans to do the stunt E11 once he finished his standard E11 project. ;)