SDF Macross/Robotech mp3 microphone help

small lady

Hi all,

I'm a cosplayer who is interested in getting my feet wet with making [electronic] props. Currently, I'm trying to make the microphone used by Lynn Minmay from SDF Macroos/Robotech. Originally, I had planned on making a non-functional microphone, but I'd really like to make a microphone that plays one or two of her songs. However, I've run into a few problems in figuring out how to actually make it work, as I would like for the prop to be wireless. Is it possible to just take a toy mp3 microphone (such as one shown here: https://www.amazon.com/Descendants-...id=1502814801&sr=8-15&keywords=mp3+microphone), disassemble it, and replace the "music chip" with a new one (in addition to repainting it the microphone's outer shell)? Or would that be impossible? Are there other (better) methods to achieve what I want? Or should I just give up since it may ultimately be a foolish waste of money?

Hi all,

I'm a cosplayer who is interested in getting my feet wet with making [electronic] props. Currently, I'm trying to make the microphone used by Lynn Minmay from SDF Macroos/Robotech. Originally, I had planned on making a non-functional microphone, but I'd really like to make a microphone that plays one or two of her songs. However, I've run into a few problems in figuring out how to actually make it work, as I would like for the prop to be wireless. Is it possible to just take a toy mp3 microphone (such as one shown here: https://www.amazon.com/Descendants-...id=1502814801&sr=8-15&keywords=mp3+microphone), disassemble it, and replace the "music chip" with a new one (in addition to repainting it the microphone's outer shell)? Or would that be impossible? Are there other (better) methods to achieve what I want? Or should I just give up since it may ultimately be a foolish waste of money?
Can you post photos of what you're talking about?

Can you post photos of what you're talking about?
I'm sorry for the confusion. Unfortunately, I can't post any photos of the project at the moment because I haven't started it yet. As I know very little about electronics, I'm asking if my idea is even feasible before I start spending money on supplies, so I don't end up wasting money on a microphone for a failed project that I can't even return for a refund...

I basically want to replace the included songs on a toy mp3 microphone (such as the one shown in the attached picture) with one or two (depending on how many are included on the original mic itself) of my own mp3 files. It would play the full song, acting more like a "speaker" than a microphone.

I also considered making a hallow microphone out of PVC pipe (haven't figured out the components for the grille yet; I may just attach a real one) and inserting an audio card similar to those used in greeting cards, but so far I've only found ones that play sound up to 2 minutes... Which is shorter than what I need...

Are either ideas feasible?
f6c76c0a193ee5e8931ff4b260afe733.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Have you thought about just building a static prop, but have it plugged into a mini amp of some sort? Then you wouldn't have to worry about fitting anything into the small microphone, as you would have more room in the amp it's plugged in to?

Have you thought about just building a static prop, but have it plugged into a mini amp of some sort? Then you wouldn't have to worry about fitting anything into the small microphone, as you would have more room in the amp it's plugged in to?

A mini amp? Like this? https://www.amazon.com/Mugig-headphones-Rechargeable-Amplifier-Earphone/dp/B071FBCZ6Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502831468&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mini+amp&psc=1

To be honest, I had no idea those things existed (my knowledge of electronics is really, REALLY limited...); I've only seen one guitar amp in my life and it was huge.

So from my understanding, I would have the microphone plugged into the amp so the output would have better projection. Although I had wanted to make the prop wireless (I wanted to carry the prop around the convention halls and put on a small show at a moment's notice), if the amp is small enough to hide in my costume's sash, theoretically I could hide it and part of the cord in the back of my costume so I wouldn't trip over it. It does make sense, as a toy microphone alone probably wouldn't have a very good output at a large, noisy convention.

That brings us back to the "microphone" itself. Would it be better to make a static prop, but hide something like this mini sound card (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2133) in the "handle" or "barrel" with an audio cable attached to the amp? Or maybe just connect the amp to a mini mp3 player and have the microphone "act" as a speaker?

If any of this doesn't make any sense or just sound ridiculous, please let me know. This is the first time I'm going to build an electronic prop and I already feel like I may have bitten off more than I can chew...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back