Matrix Nebuchadnezzar Designation Plate Texture Help

Knightmedic

Hi, I've been coming here and reading posts for quite a while now and have recently retired and find myself with a little more time to pursue my hobbies. I'm trying to recreate the Nebuchadnezzar Designation Plate from the movie The Matrix. I got a lot of information from a thread here by matt3o Matrix Nebuchadnezzar designation plate But no one has posted to this thread since 2017.

I do not have the skill to create it as a 3D model for 3d printing but I do own a laser engrave/cutter. Using the information I got from matt3o's thread I was able to put together a pretty good SVG file. I need help on creating the texture to apply to the plate once it has been assembled.

This is what the texture looks like:
Nebuchadnezzar Designation Plate Screen Grab.PNG

Nebuchadnezzar Designation Plate Screen Grab 2..jpg

Nebuchadnezzar Designation Plate Screen Grab 3..jpg
Nebuchadnezzar Designation Plate Screen Grab 4.jpg

The last picture was taken from a prop auction catalog with the following caption:

49. Nebuchadnezzar Designation Plate Concept Maquette from The Matrix. Original maquette nameplate from the Nebuchadnezzar, a hovercraft captained by Morpheus(Laurence Fishburne) in The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded, with “The Matrix” and the production years below. 15 x 21”.Exhibits wear from age and use. Provenance: The Wachowskis

I was able to figure out the dimensions of the Designation plate from the info provided.

What would be the best or simplest way to add texture to the prop?

Way back in the day, I recall someone saying you could get that kind of texture effect by covering the areas with toilet paper that had been dipped in watered down PVA glue and then pushed around a bit on the surface and left to dry. I've no idea if it would actually yield good results, the most I've ever done with that technique was to soak a couple of small squares of blue shop towels in watered down PVA and then draped it over some 28mm wood crates to create a tarp over the crates effect. After the glue dried it was plenty rigid and took the paint well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back