SDCC pictures of hot girls thread

That really doesn't hold up anymore; nerd culture is no longer a male-centric space, and the implication that it is isn't backed by data anymore. Multiple surveys and studies suggest that female attendance of conventions and comic readers is somewhere around half or more than half. Beyond that, it is very obvious that costuming attracts female participants, as noted by this thread, some of which are incredibly skilled at their constructions. If there is a limited audience of women here, there is a reason. This has been brought up many times on the RPF Facebook group, usually as a reaction to poor behavior, and I have seen multiple women outright say, "comments like this are why I don't post here, because I know posting my photos to this community would turn to this." It's worth thought.

Sources:

ComicCon International: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...heres-why-the-geek-stereotype-is-nearly-dead/
Top 8 events of '14: http://www.forbes.com/sites/laureno...-the-gender-barrier/#2362a99057f130c6bd9057f1
62% growth in female attendance at CC: http://www.themarysue.com/female-nycc-attendees/
53% of people who "liked" comics, graphic novels, etc female: http://graphicpolicy.com/2015/09/01/demo-graphics-comic-fandom-on-facebook-14/
Market research tells 46% of comic readers female: http://graphicpolicy.com/2014/02/01/facebook-fandom-spotlight-who-are-the-us-comic-fans-5/

Oh I'm not disagreeing with the overall creep factor involved. I'm usually amongst the first ones to call out that kind of behavior. Either that, or poke fun at it like I did above. Unfortunately we live in a society where sex sells. Advertisers dress up women in highly flattering or highly revealing clothing just to pander to the male market, when often times, such a display has absolutely nothing to do with the product being advertised. It's all designed to capture the attention of the average male. Is it necessary? Probably not. Does it work? You betcha. Just look at the Carl's Jr ads or the PETA "I'd rather go naked than wear fur" campaign. Even Victoria's Secret ads are targeted towards men, even though their products are almost exclusively used by women.

Because of this, it's considered acceptable and even encouraged to objectify women, especially the ones that meet the societal norms of beauty. That doesn't make it right, though. So when a female looks good in cosplay, it follows that some guys will make lewd comments about it. Is it wrong? Yes. Can you, as an individual, stop them from doing it? Not legally, no (Last I heard, crushing their trachea with your fist is still considered somewhat impolite). Whether or not the comments stop is entirely up to the individual making the comments.

Now, don't misread me here... I am in no way condoning such behavior. I actually find it reprehensible and a sign of poor impulse control and even poorer social skills. Yes, you can belittle them all day long and even lay hands on them if they get gropey, but in the end, their opinions are just as valid as your own. They just don't have a Brain-Mouth Filter.

It's going to take time, but the surest way to show them the error of their ways is through example. When you see a lewd comment about a woman, don't respond. Downvote it if you can. Let it die unanswered.

Ladies, if you see a comment that is lewd, ignore it, remove it if possible, or even put the person on ignore. Only respond to the socially acceptable comments. The people who post such commentary aren't worth your time. Prove it to them.

Unfortunately we live in a society where sex sells. Advertisers dress up women in highly flattering or highly revealing clothing just to pander to the male market, when often times, such a display has absolutely nothing to do with the product being advertised. It's all designed to capture the attention of the average male.

Sure, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about this community, and advertisers pandering to the lowest common denominator don't apply here. We decide how we represent ourselves. You can't say "this is a niche community" and "we live in a society" in the same discussion. It's one or the other, a small, select subsection of culture that differs from culture as a whole, or the average of culture in general. This discussion is about the former.

Because of this, it's considered acceptable and even encouraged to objectify women, especially the ones that meet the societal norms of beauty. That doesn't make it right, though. So when a female looks good in cosplay, it follows that some guys will make lewd comments about it.

Again, we're not talking about general culture. We're talking about this community, and the larger convention and nerd culture community it speaks for. I think having a 54-page thread specifically about "hot girls" at a conventions, not specifically in costumes or in well-constructed costumes, speaks to this community and the issues we have.

Downvote it if you can. Let it die unanswered.

Unfortunately, TheRPF doesn't function like Reddit. It's "like" or "report," meaning "I agree with this statement" or "this statement goes against the rules," no in between.

Ladies, if you see a comment that is lewd, ignore it, remove it if possible, or even put the person on ignore.

Again, the fact that this thread is as popular as it is both speaks to how we as a community feel about women, and likely tells us why there are so few here to speak in opposition.

Man I clicked on this thread in ages and all I see are a bunch of flarkin' words!

14329334380251.gif

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back