Sculpting Wrinkles

KillerRu

Well,

I've recently started to sculpt on a mask but it's not really coming quite allong like I've hoped.

I'm working my way trough something like this (only the eye part)

boogeyman_mask_pale_01.jpg

But my god sculpting nice smooth deep wrinkles is a lot harder then it looks...

So I was asking myself... Anyone has some tips, or tutorials I can follow/read. To get some more info on how to do this and how to smoothen them up?

Thank in advance,
Jill

Use different plastic bags to use the sculpting tool on.
Lay the plastic bag over the sculpture and do the same as you would do without it.
It will be more smoother that if you used just the tool. Diffrent plastic bags has diffrent thicknesses and will get different results.

Use different plastic bags to use the sculpting tool on.
Lay the plastic bag over the sculpture and do the same as you would do without it.
It will be more smoother that if you used just the tool. Diffrent plastic bags has diffrent thicknesses and will get different results.
Will second this approach.

The other approach, depending on material, is just using the tool and make lines in various depths and then smooth it over with a soft brush dipped in water. In case you are using clay or apoxie sculpt.

If you are using super sculpey people on the sculpting forums mention using household alcohol instead of water, but honestly... I really wouldn't mess with such products when sculpting.

Pff I really can't sculpt, tried with the plastic bags => Right side and the right was the previous try. I still find the edges to sharp and the ends of the wrinkles too.

69hkqh.jpg

I'm using a spatula tool atm. But doesn't do the trick quite well...

I still find the edges to sharp and the ends of the wrinkles too.

Different plastic makes the edges differently sharp/soft. Saran wrap is best for smaller wrinkles. Thicker Freezer bags is better for thicker. Try different material.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to sculpt those by removal. Build up the planes you need for the orbit and socket, and then create the heavy skin folds work them into the surface. All you need for those is a medium sized paddle.

Yeah the're really great and when they get clogged up, you can clean them with naptha/lighter fluid (assuming you're using oil based clay)

Try to not get too frustrated over the road blocks you hit with sculpting. Easy to say I know but its just a case of pushing through them even if it means taking a break for a while. You'll get there. I heard Jordu Schell give some great advice, don't rush the understanding of the medium and your understanding of the subject you're working on. Chances are things worn't happen as fast as you'd like but it will happen if you work at it :)

Yeah the're really great and when they get clogged up, you can clean them with naptha/lighter fluid (assuming you're using oil based clay)

Try to not get too frustrated over the road blocks you hit with sculpting. Easy to say I know but its just a case of pushing through them even if it means taking a break for a while. You'll get there. I heard Jordu Schell give some great advice, don't rush the understanding of the medium and your understanding of the subject you're working on. Chances are things worn't happen as fast as you'd like but it will happen if you work at it :)

Ok thank you very much, well I think I'm using water based clay (ceramic clay) the brown version so... Hopefully they can be washed too afterwards?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back