Sculpting question.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

KalleKatten

Hi all!

Since I'm new att making masks, I don't know much about all the ways of making it.
My latest (and first) mask turned out ok but not as good as it could get, because I brushed liquid latex directly on The sculpt so the details were soggy and it was too thin.

I'm about to start my second predhead and I was wondering if ya'll could just drop your best advice here for me? Everything is appreciated, pictures, videos, links, descriptions. I've seen a really good video tutorial how to make a good mold. But I've heard some people say that you should make the mandible piece separate from the rest and then put it in place later.

However, The tutorials only show how to make a mold, not how you do with The latex to make it into a mask, nor how thick it should be. Should i just pour it in and brush it up The edges or toss it around in The mold, hoping it turns out ok? Appreciate ALL advice you all feel like sharing! :)

Have a good day!
Kallekatten

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Paintninja

Greetings,

First, indeed, the mandibles should be molded and cast seperate from the overall mask and
placed just prior to paint. Look around here, I'm sure you'll find more intel than you can handle but
you may find the following two sites helpful as well ie. instructional videos

Smooth-on

MonsterMakers

Hope this helps you along your journey...

KalleKatten

Greetings,

First, indeed, the mandibles should be molded and cast seperate from the overall mask and
placed just prior to paint. Look around here, I'm sure you'll find more intel than you can handle but
you may find the following two sites helpful as well ie. instructional videos

Smooth-on

MonsterMakers

Hope this helps you along your journey...
Thanks! I will take a look at those sites, see if i can find something :)

Lflank

I brushed liquid latex directly on The sculpt so the details were soggy and it was too thin.

That is the process I used to make my Klingon headpiece. You can make it pretty thick and strong just by doing lots of layers (mine is a dozen layers thick), but you will indeed lose any details. It works OK for something like a Klingon ridge where there's not much fine detail anyway, but is not good for a pred head where you'll want skin texture and such.

KalleKatten

That is the process I used to make my Klingon headpiece. You can make it pretty thick and strong just by doing lots of layers (mine is a dozen layers thick), but you will indeed lose any details. It works OK for something like a Klingon ridge where there's not much fine detail anyway, but is not good for a pred head where you'll want skin texture and such.
So I noticed! My sculpt did not have many great details to begin with, but after 30-ish layers of latex, they were almost gone! But how to do if using a 2-piece mold?