Scream robe

Okay.... don't want to get everyone too excited... but I think I found the EXACT fabric. I attached a photo of what I found.... not sure if it has the sparkles on the back, too, but I think it does. I plan on making a GHOSTFACE costume out of this fabric for my upcoming film, STAB 4. www.StabMovies.com

I may be able to make more than one robe and sell some... but the fabric is EXPENSIVE. 25 bucks a freakin yard! Takes anywhere from 5-8 yards to make a robe... plus supplies and labor. you do the math. Anyone interested?
fabric.jpg

There was just some of the fabric on ebay. Not enough Yardage as I would have bought it to have someone construct a rope. It was the same black sparkly fabric and it was both sides, no just one. It was called something-lurex. Lurex is the srarkly knit in the black fabric which is a kind of wool they use.

Lurex is a type of yarn which incorporates a glittering metallic thread,
and fabric woven from this thread. It is usually (though not always)
made with an artificial fibre. The metallic bit is made from some sort
of plastic and does not fade or tarnish like real metal. 'Lurex' is a
brand name, but has become a term used for all this type of yarn.

But, funny enough, the fabric I found contains Lurex... here's the description...
Medium weight black cotton and rayon blend with glittery lurex throughout and a hint of stretch

Lurex...
Medium weight black cotton and rayon blend with glittery lurex throughout and a hint of stretch

Hey thanks for the info!! I'm planning to hit up all the fabric stores in Philadelphia this week, probably Thursday, and see if I can locate this stuff myself. Sometimes in the past, if I purchase enough, the store owners will work a deal for me because $25 per yard is too much $$$$ for my wallet. :lol

I'll post what,or if, I find something that can work by the end of the week.

I don't worry about the robe,
have a orange colored scream mask, rubber i think
& wear mechanics coveralls (OD green) and boots, black gloves, and a knife that bleeds
& had several people come over and tell me they liked the look. during 1 halloween almost had a little kid run into traffic to get away from me
even had a HS girl tell her bf, that she knew the guy bhind her was just a guy in a mask but it still freaked her out.
I will c if I can find that pic

Well I think I hit every fabric store in the greater Philadelphia area and not one store owner I spoke to could even try to order the actual fabric. The closest fabric I found in Philly came in every color but black! Total bust!

Then I went to a fabric closeout store in Norristown, PA and for $1.50 a yard, I found something acceptable, not perfect. They only had 7.5 yards and I took it all. It is a polyester double knit, its a bit on the heavyweight side, has a bit of stretch to it, drapes wonderfully and only has the sparkle on one side.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a photo of what I found.

So for people who are having a hard time finding something acceptable, try to locate any sort of remnant clearance store or fabric warehouse. :)

Hey if anyone can get screen caps of Scream 1, that's the robe I am going to make, I can share my progress. I only have the movie on VHS and I can not seem to find good screen caps of the robe. I'm hoping I can see seam lines and figure out how to put this thing together the right way.

I have to get my robe done for my son by March 1st so I'm in no real hurry.

I'm also trying to get a Buck 120 knife and see about casting a copy of it in rubber so my son can take it to cons and the Scream 4 premier.

Here's a photo of the fabric I found:

dscf07692190970.jpg
dscf07692190970.jpg
dscf07662175448.jpg
dscf07652159260.jpg

Bumping this thread in hopes that someone can post some detailed photos of the robe from Scream 1. I only have it on VHS at this time and cannot seem to find any decent photos on google search.

Been following this thread for a while..

-I've been wanting a robe like this since I first saw the movies, way back then..
A good looking mask was easily obtained.. but getting a deasent robe seemed quite hard.. and apparently, still is..

I would love to see a super screen accurate version get made, with the sparkly fabric and all..
- But If someone were able to just make an accurate looking robe with a close enough fabric, and did a run of those.. I'd be interested as well..

The Cloakmakers-project sounds promising, but with a pricetag at around $300 for the slip-over version, I'd prefer a more economic solution..

..Anyway, this is a cool project and I hope that some nice robes will emerge in a near future..

If you want that super hard-to-find fabric, and all the labor involved in making the robe, the $300 price tag sounds about right for this thing.
Like the cloakmaker said, a basic robe is fairly simple enough, but this robe has a number of details that drive up the labor time - such as the inclusion of the sewn-in gloves, arm streamers and hood construction.

Yeah, $300 sounds about right, when considering the time and
effort someone would have to put in this quite complex robe..

Just thought that, if they were able to lower the price a bit by
choosing a different fabric, that would be great..
Not saying that they shouldn't make the ultra accurate version,
as that would be so sweet, but maybe consider an alternate
'economic' version as well.. :)

Okay, I am new and I don't know how the real fabric feels and looks like, but I found a really cool nylon/lurex fabric! I saw a picture of the bottom from the Scream 2 robe I think and on that picture it looks like every part has this sparkle.
It's a bit sheer and depending on the lightning it's really sparkly or just a bit and on both sides. It's stretches in both ways as well!

Here a little video to get a good view on it. I turned my regular "big" lights.
YouTube - Lurex

It’s about 20 dollars per meter 60inch wide.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am also after one of these awesome costumes, however living in New Zealand makes it very hard to get things, I would have to get everything from over seas. Do you think buying the actual buck knife would be going too far? I mean, I don't even know if I'm going to end up with a costume yet but I'm pretty keen on the knife.

Just a quick bump,

If I were to buy one of the the standard scream costumes that are all over the internet (not sure if I'm allowed to link here), the ones with the single hanging arm drapes, do you think I could alter it into a viable costume? i.e one that looks like the movie costumes. I know it wont be the same sparkly material but I really don't have the money for one of those right now.

I am also tempted to buy a 1996 mask off ebay but it's pretty pricey.

Sorry in the lateness of this reply but if your looking at the 1000's of sites selling the standard Ghostface/Scream costume, save your money. The material used is very lightweight and can get runs easily. Even if you cannot find the correct fabric and decent replacement would be a medium weight fabric. Just look for fabric with a good drape and you'll be ok, even if it does not have the sparkle effect to it.

Ok now can someone pretty please post screen caps of the robe from the first movie. I'm getting ready to draft a pattern to make my son's costume and hate to have to buy dvd just for screen caps. We have the movie on VHS still. I really want a good look at the bottom of the robe and the drapes hanging from the arms if at all possible

Anyone else working on this costume for the April 15th movie opening? I finally scored a Buck #120 knife and just need a pair of black shoes. I have been watching the first Scream movie and creating a pattern from scratch. Once completed, I'll post photos of my son in this costume if anyone is interested. :)

I really wish I could get a source for some acceptable fabric. I'd just make my own. The release for the new movie is right around the corner!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back