Scratchbuilt Sten MkII - The Eagle Has Landed

I then worked on finding out what to make the Bolt from. Firstly, I had a steel one turned, but the weight was too heavy for the other materials the gun was being made from. Secondly, I thought about plastic, but the stuff I got was too stringy and would not finish and paint very well. Finally,I settled on Aluminium, which when turned and painted, looked very good and lite as well.
The bottom pic is the steel one.
IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4220.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

P3041419.JPG

P3041421.JPG

P7058362.JPG

The Magazine was next. This took a bit of time to do, but with the help of some pine that I had shaped at a local Joinery Factory, I was able to laminate plastic sheet to it and shape the feed end as well.

P6308287.JPG

P6308289.JPG

P7018313.JPG

P7018318.JPG

P7018322.JPG

Feeder lips were added from plastic and the rest of the "plug" laminated as well. Filer was used to finish off the "guide rail".

P7028324.JPG

P7028325.JPG

P7028326.JPG

P7028327.JPG

P7028328.JPG

P7028329.JPG

Then came the addition of various bits of plastic sheet to finish the look, and a brass screw cut off, rounded, and put into the hole in the base.

P7038330.JPG

P7038331.JPG

P7038339.JPG

P7038342.JPG

P7038343.JPG

After adding the stop tabs? I sanded the whole thing down with wet'n'dry sandpaper and then test fitted it into the mag housing. Looking good so far.

P7038344.JPG

P7038346.JPG

P7038347.JPG

P7038348.JPG

P7038349.JPG

P7038350.JPG

P7038352.JPG

P7038353.JPG

Wow! I've made numerous prop guns but none with this level of detail. I swear that looks like it could actually fire! Incredible work.

Thanks Bornkilr.
Here are some pics of it assembled and painted.The only thing I need to do now is make a Compression Spring for the Bolt.

IMG_4215.JPG IMG_4221.JPG IMG_4228.JPG

I'm thinking of doing a silenced barrel and a skeletal frame stock for it as well. Any other suggestions?

Correct and you are right, it is still clean, but I plan on giving it a worn used look at some stage when everything is done.

Really really great, i'm building a sten for a friends film your project been a great help. Thanks ,keep up the good work:D

I see now that Denix have produced one, so I might have to get one and compare them. mmmmmmm.....

This is one of my favourite war movies, along with kelly's heroes, Gun of Navorone and Force 10 from Navorone.
Very nice work on this replica!

Thanks guys. I enjoy doing these kind of replicas, and yes it will be weathered soon. Will post some pics when it is done.

I've been building props similar to this one for a while now and always run into the same problem, which is once I paint the PVC the moving parts (i.e. the cocking mechanism and the trigger) don't work. The paint makes the parts "crunchy" and inhibits anything I make that's supposed to be pulled or ****** or whatever.
I was wondering what you did to keep the parts from gumming up. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Caldwell. The important thing to remember when making moving parts, is to allow for paint buildup. I always try to make things a little "sloppy" in the fit so the paint thickness will build up the rest of the tolerance. Then I sometimes put a bit of 3 in 1 sewing machine oil onto the part to help lubricate it. In your situation at present, try putting some fine oil onto the parts and see what happens. If you need to repaint afterwards, then clean up the areas to be painted with white spirits.
Also, are you using aerosol paint, which goes on thick, or airbrushing the paint on, which you can control the amount of paint going on?
White Spirits doesn't hurt the plastic and dries very quickly. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back