Scratch build WIP - Spider Droid

youngwm

Hello,

I have been thinking of building one of these for a while and though I have a few model kits that I am working on I thought I would also give this a shot. I llike the concept of this robot and my 6 year old son is in to star wars clone wars.
OG-9 homing spider droid - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

So this is where I begin, I know I am going to get great experience out of this one and have not scratched any thing in a while. I look at this and think man the panel lines will be cool if I can get it down. The legs I hope to use brass, its the leg armature that is a little scary.

Well any way, here is my very basic start. I found this plastic globe at Michael's for like 3 bucks and instantly was like that will work. I began by removing the outer plastic paper.

sd1.jpg

sd2.jpg

I then noticed a nice line for the two halfs. I sawed away at the center and had my sphere in halfs.

I sanded each half and I am using the plastic part that projects the laser of a computer mouse for the sides. I then plan to dress this up with styrene and panel lines and will carefully keep working away at this.

sd3.jpg

Thanks for looking.. Please if you were going to scratch something like this throw a beginner some tips or advise..
Thanks,

Mike

Small update, I used poxy to join the side mounts and will sand after is sets up in 24hrs. Later today I may try to scribe some panel lines like the image of the toy with the link posted below.

Once the poxy sculpt sets I will sand it down that will make the side walls closer to the sphere.

I used a circle cutter and cut styrene to size and glued a piece to the top and bottom half of the sphere. I plan to use strips of styrene or small rod for the center crack.

To make the joints for the legs moveable any advise on what to use for the screws and caps to cap off the screws sort of a rivet look? I plan to build the leg armature from styrene and use brass tubes for the log legs.

Thanks,

Go Steelers!!, 8pm game tonight!

Star Wars Spider Droid - Toy Fair : HASBRO by Collectors Quest

sd4.jpg

Looks good so far. Didn't even notice you were from this half of PA. For screws that look like rivets you might end up having to recess them a bit and use some sort of filler to cover them and sculpt it to look like rivets.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back