Scratch Build - Star Destroyer out of Cardboard

IMG_2049.jpgIMG_2050.jpgIMG_2051.jpg

Here I have taped each section of the paper cut out to the corresponding cardboard cut out so that I can begin scoring the lines. The intent is that when I primer it, the lines will stand out. The difficulty is ensuring I score each line. I've noticed that I have missed some lines. It's hard to tell but I should be able to see them better when I shot some primer on it. At that point I'll go back in and add the missing lines. This is an extremely tedious process and a real test of my patience. I think next time I will either sharpie or pinstripe the lines next time after I shoot primer and paint.

The bad thing about a sharpie, is that it gives off a bit of a shine in the right lighting and might look kinda weird.
Lines look good so far.

One quirk of Sharpie markings that you can exploit though, is that they tend to always bleed up through paint, no matter how many coats you do. It sucks when you don't want it to happen, but it is useful for doing panel lines like that.

-Rog

IMG_2153.jpgIMG_2154.jpgIMG_2155.jpgIMG_2156.jpgIMG_2157.jpgIMG_2158.jpg

Scoring is all done and the first shot of primer applied. I actually like how it turned out, for the most part. From here, I'll go back through and tidy some of the lines up and start adding some of the raised panel details and the bottom dome. I'm a bit disappointed on how the nose and some of the panels are so gaped in some areas. I'll have to figure out how I'm going to deal with that to make it look better. At least the panels look consistent. I'm hoping the added details help blend that in a bit.

IMG_2426.jpg
IMG_2427.jpg
IMG_2432.jpg
IMG_2709.jpg

Sorry it's been so long from the last post. I have been busy packing in preparation for a house move. Might be a while before things settle down and I get some time to continue my work.
Here, I added corrugated panels to the skin. I used the same technique in sealing the edges as in previous posts. I'll apply another layer of Eggo card stock to the panels and cut the detail lines. I cut a clear acrylic two piece Christmas Ornament for the bottom fuel cell. My initial cut is still too big, so I will be shaving another 1/4" off. I'll have to wait until I get settled in the new house.

Well, it's been over a year and I haven't touched my Destroyer Build. Garage is still too full from the move to have a suitable workspace. Soon though. Been selling things off and space is slowly starting to be regained.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back