Scammer , recaster warning : latest alias Loganprops, recent alias Snikt Shop

Re: Another recaster, and i think this time, I'm done..

Lol "violate the terms of the RPF." As if an online club determines the "laws." I'd have to sell something on here to violate the terms. As if violently threatening someone as they've done on this thread isn't a violation of the RPF terms. That made me laugh. Thanks.

If you're going to quote me, I'd appreciate you actually doing so accurately. I said "violates the terms of membership of the RPF." Nowhere did I mention the law.

So we can add failure in reading comprehension to failure in logic to your repetoire. :rolleyes

If you're going to quote me, I'd appreciate you actually doing so accurately. I said "violates the terms of membership of the RPF." Nowhere did I mention the law.

So we can add failure in reading comprehension to failure in logic to your repetoire. :rolleyes

If you're going to quote me, you should probably also quote me in its entirety and if you're going try to insult my reading comprehension, you should also brush up on that too : I'd have to sell something on here to violate the terms [of the RPF membership.]

Please. Here we go. Point proven. This thread is so derailed off track. It's one big hater convention.
Wish ya'll success in your prop making/or lack there of/whatever it is you do.
Much love.

Unfortunately, you don't need to sell here to violate any policies here.
Just supporting recasting or stating that you don't see anything wrong with it, is enough to have your account nuked as the staff doesn't want that mentality around here.

I believe it's: "Oh SHE mad"

;)

I'm glad you clarified that. Because that needed clarifying. Because the post would clearly not have still applied if you were a woman. Clearly. That is exactly what happened. Yup.

If you're going to play that card, you should probably study up on the laws of appropriation. Sounds a lot like the accusations of Battle Star Galactica vs. Star Wars of the 70's… and guess what BSG won.
There are no grey areas when copying the same source material. That issue was solved decades ago with Andy Warhol and it's why appropriation was created in the first place.

Right...well, maybe you should study up on what appropriation actually MEANS, because it's not what you think it means. Appropriation deals with taking pre-existing images in order to make a new work of art (emphasis on the 'new' there), not taking someone else's product and making a cheap knock-off.

Believe what you want. No one is forcing you to buy my suits.

What kind of defense is that? That's like Nike saying "who cares if our shoes are made by children in sweat shops, just don't buy them lol". Whether or not we buy your friend's props doesn't change the fact that he's a scumbag.

Contrary to what you may think a few photos collaged from the Internet is not irrefutable evidence. Since so many of you were screaming for a lawyer, it may behoove you to know that, in a court of law, photos are not considered solid evidence any more. Especially since photoshop heavily influences the Internet nowadays.

That won't be an issue, since in any kind of case of this nature the first logical thing the police would do is get a warrant in order to obtain physical copies of the helmets in question in order to ascertain whether or not they were recasted (not that this ever would get to court, more on that later).

This thread started off as someone accusing someone else of recasting, right? What I see is that this has exploded into a mob of hate for one guy exploiting details of his life that are actually completely irrelevant to the original post. Then you people have gone as far as to threaten him AND MYSELF. Not just verbal insults, but including using physical violence! I cannot respect that. 
And ONE accusation DOES NOT negate the fact that he makes hundreds of props. ONE accusation DOES NOT make the countless photos of work in progress shots irrelevant.

1. Everything we reference in this thread was publicly available and helped prove how scummy your friend is. Ergo, completely relevant.

2. I assume you meant to type "threats of physical violence" instead of implying that the people of this thread have literally beaten up you and your friends. I assume this because the alternative is ****ing lunacy.

3. One accusation? We've got a pretty solid trend going here of dissatisfied former customers.

Aside from any of what I wrote above, my PERSONAL thoughts on recasting: I have worked professionally in theatre for almost 7-8 years. I worked in various prop and set houses across the U.S. some big companies and some small. Recasting is not all that big of a deal and it happens on a daily basis. We used to recast things and then rent them out to other productions, commercials, films, photoshoots, museums, convention booths, and we made a profit. And no one came knocking at our door with their pitch forks yelling "Recasters! Burn in hell!" I can give you a list of these prop houses if it will make you feel better. That way, you can go on a tirade on the internet to attack them as well. It won't do any harm to their businesses though. In fact, it may actually give them MORE business, which is the case for Snikt Shop. So thank you for that. 
Something you may love to know is some of the BIG prop makers and FX artists... you know, the kind that have TV shows, YouTube channels, extensive IMDB credits and a large following... You know, the ones you wait in line at conventions to meet and *drool* all over... recast ALL THE TIME. And sell their stuff RIGHT HERE on the RPF under hidden aliases cleverly titled as "Real deal" instead of "recasted."
They have access to the original molds and someone's gotta pay the bills. Especially with so many FX houses going down hill. 
But, you're sitting here, QUESTIONING your irrelevant cosplay helmet..stalking one man...obsessing over one man because your life is just that boring.

Right, here we go.

As others have said, what you did was most likely not recasting to begin with. I've never been recasted, and I hope that never happens, but I think I get the anger behind the people who have or who just loathe the practice in general.

I'd like to think that the majority of us here have no illusions about what we do. We are, all of us, people who violate copyrights in order to pursue a craft that we love. It rarely brings in any real recognition, and brings in real money even less frequently. It's a passion hobby, one that we are fortunate enough to share with others here at the RPF. The community is, frankly, one of the few reasons to even bother doing this stuff. I love making props, but when a build gets tough and the frustrations pile on, knowing that other people will get a kick out of what's on my table is usually all that keeps me going.

A recaster throws a wrench into all of that. Besides denting potential money (which allows us to make our cool stuff) and recognition (which is the only reward we ever really want in the first place), they ruin our faith in the community. In each other. Why make cool stuff and make it available to others if they're just going to shiv me in the back for a quick buck? It's not a matter of what's legal so much as just what's fair, and what's fair is that if you pay the time and toil to make something, you deserve to get recognized for what you've made. I'm sure someone else will be able to voice this frustration better than I have, but that's what seems to have people the most upset.

So to conclude this long refute that I feel I have entirely wasted my time on; I don't care.

Yes you do. You wouldn't have written a mini-essay if you didn't care.

This is all very annoying to read, Racer and I both worked on our Magneto helmets at the same time and so I know exactly how much work and time and effort and attention to detail went in to creating that, and to have it just taken, recast and sold on is disgraceful, it discourages artists like he and I to carry on making items like this at all.

Lol "violate the terms of the RPF." As if an online club determines the "laws." I'd have to sell something on here to violate the terms.

LOL. Some pretty fine naivety on show here.

I'm reasonably sure you're gone. :popcorn

I only have one thing to say :

Lol "violate the terms of the RPF." As if an online club determines the "laws." I'd have to sell something on here to violate the terms.

......... bye :lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting read....and I'm not sure if it's Jim Logan posting, or someone posting on his behalf. Either way, I cannot in good conscience be mistaken for supporting their attitudes and behavior...especially when they've so eloquently stated it here in black and white.
So for that reason alone I've un-friended him from Facebook...and relieved to see this member banned from the RPF.

David

Holy crap. I need some popcorn. Front row seats FTW.

On a more serious note, I've been watching the thread since the beginning and am really sorry that Jim Logan recasted your helmet. Recasting someone else's hard work and selling it is just a complete disgrace.

That being said, I wasn't aware that not seeing anything wrong with recasting is a ban able offense here.
I mean, I probably recast things for special effects use monthly. Hammers, crow bars, guns, tire irons. Someone out there made that screw driver I needed to be flexible, or someone made that axe that had to be made foam of foam for this and that scene.
Not to derail it too much, I'm just trying to understand the mentality of the standpoint against recasting on this board.

That escalated quickly! :lol

SlipKnoT, it is commonly described as an honour among thieves ethos. We are all IP violators, that's a given. But we treat each other as a community of artisans and don't **** on each other. What you are doing is not recasting in the sense we mean it.

You're probably buying that screwdriver, the factory isn't in the bendy-rubber-screwdriver business so from their POV they are one sale up, not a thousand bendy-rubber-screwdriver sales down.

If I'm in the bendy-rubber-screwdriver business, and you take my product and recast it, *that's* where we have a problem.

Last edited:

That being said, I wasn't aware that not seeing anything wrong with recasting is a ban able offense here.....

....Not to derail it too much, I'm just trying to understand the mentality of the standpoint against recasting on this board.

Don't think I'm trying to 'shut you up' :lol, but your question is so complex, and has been discussed soooo many times, I recommend you use the advanced search function, type in keywords 'recasting', 'recaster' etc, use the 'thread titles' filter .... and read the scores of threads that emerge ... then you'll get a general idea what the board's general feeling is (y))

Wow,
I guess I'm a little late with my response.
But still, i will try to break down and address all the comments by youcanttigatag
as fundamentally as possible.

Regarding the dye suit accusation with out proof:
Again, i have already apologized and retracted my statement.

regarding helmet purchase:
No, i do not have financial paper trail.
There are many ways that the helmet could have been obtained: trade , resell thru a 3 party...
The point here is, that Sniktshop has the helmet.

regarding threats of physical violence:
I have never threaten physical harm to sniktshop.
It is pointless and serve no purpose to anyone.

regarding photo proof:
Yes, photos can be faked. But some weight needs to placed on submitted photos.
Otherwise, the dye suit wip pics that was submitted as proof should also be discounted.
Either the photos have merit or they don't.
You can not have both.
Out of curiosity, what do you think was faked?
The screen cap of the deleted facebook post or my submitted pics?

regarding the hundreds of props made by sniktshop:
No one is saying that sniktshop does not make a lot of props.
No one is saying that sniktshop did not make a magneto helmet.
Its just not the current helmet being offered for sale.

regarding comment from competition
could there be bias comment from competitors? maybe.
But there are other comments from people who are not competition. And should have no bias.

regarding the practice of fx / prop house and real deal props:
Again, not the main issue here.
If your moral and ethical compass points you toward that practice,
then that is you own personal opinion. If that is the justification for the recast, then
use that afterwards.

regarding people hiding behind anonymity
everything has been discussed openly here.
Any posting for explanation or info on sniktshop facebook has been deleted or blocked.
If more info is needed, i am more than happy to help.

The main issues here is:
Is sniktshop a recaster?
Did sniktshop recasted a magneto helmet. One that was not created by him.
Is sniktshop selling the recast helmet for profit and claim of creation?

If proof can be provide by sniktshop to the contrary, then please do so.

Dude - she's been banned, so cannot reply.

No loss, methinks.

If I'm in the bendy-rubber-screwdriver business, and you take my product and recast it, *that's* where we have a problem.

Makes sense. I shouldn't ask stupid questions for my bed time, that's when I tend to derail things.

Against my better judgement I'm going to ask yet another question.
Now let me preface with I'm not sure if we have one or not, but I've never seen it here.
On another forum I'm on recasting isn't a problem but scamming often tends to be. When someone scams someone else, they're put on a "Scammer List" that's stickied at the top of the "New Members" subforum.

I know we ban recasters here, but maybe we should have a list of the known ones and their aliases.

Let's say we take this Jim Logan guy, and we ban him, like was done; how does that really stop him? The posts here are pushed down so fast I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people miss this thread, but if someone wants to deal with him, and they check the theoretical recaster list they would know not to deal with him.

Recasting isn't considered a sin on every forum while scamming almost always is. I don't know about you but for my money the two go hand in hand fairly frequently.

We do more or less have a list of miscreants, it's called the Banned Members Log and is located in the Community > Site Support and News menu.

Why do I always miss the party???
Funny how neither he, nor his faithful orcs took umbridge with him being called a nob or whatever it was....:lol

Dude - she's been banned, so cannot reply.

No loss, methinks.

Yeah, I know. I'm actually a little disappointed that she can not reply. :cry
But I feel obligated to reply.
I do believed that nothing any one post will change their mind or convince them otherwise.

Last edited:

Yeah. They basically feel entitled to take your stuff and lie about it, is what it looked like. :(

If these people really see nothing wrong with the habit of obtaining, recasting and selling other people's works (as I'm understanding their position), then why don't they at least acknowledge the source they are using? If someone is willing to say that their recasting and selling is a legitimate enterprise, why do they have a problem with identifying (and crediting) the creators of the work they are recasting? After all, the recaster's already said that there's nothing wrong with the practice...
I can't help but see the majority of recasters knowing EXACTLY that what they are doing is wrong, and (through laziness, avarice,whatever) just not giving a ****. Why would a recaster (who thinks the practice is fine) get upset when the evident recasting is then exposed? Most likely because they've been selling the recasts as their own creations, and now they look like raging douchebags for being caught not just recasting, but lying about it. Apologies for the slight thread derail, just my thoughts as I get pissed off thinking about all of it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back