Satele Shan Lightsaber v2 (Lula Mae)

rogue9607

This thread isn't to be confused with the one about my wife's saber, Holly. This is for her sister...

Introducing Lula Mae!

I made Lula Mae for the RPF's own Abby Dark-Star to go with her incredible Satele Shan costume. Compared to Holly, I've added a taper to the center hilt section, used accurate artwork for the etchings, improved the accuracy of the switches, and milled out the slots in the emitters.

Also, the sound holes are hidden under an overhang between the center hilt and each emitter.

I used blue blades to give a better effect in photographs and painted the tips to match.

Here's the family portrait before she shipped off, though Varjack was off on holiday and couldn't make it...

HOLY!!! This is even better than Holly! Lula Mae is gorgeous!! I really really really want one now lol. You sir, have perfected it!

What's the last saber right at the bottom of the last pic? :)

Thank you!

The little one is Fred Baby... I don't know if I ever posted him here. So about a year ago, we were getting ready for the Star Wars Weekends parade at Disney and my costume was fine, but I needed a lightsaber. I had been using a Mace MR, but for the midday parade, they don't allow blades and mine was not removable (plus, after Holly I needed *something* for myself). I took a look at the scraps I had from Holly and designed Fred Baby.

He's intentionally a bit small since my intent is to make a second and dual wield, but I'm only part way done on the second as other projects have crept in. And actually, even this one isn't "complete" since I always have planned to add some detail around the pommel. Initially, he was only a belt hanger, but for DragonCon I added the LED. For simplicity, I put the piano switch in the pommel cap to allow color changing. I never intended him to have sound and haven't really felt it was lacking (most of the time Holly runs in no-sound mode because the environment is just too noisy). The grip is leather that I had lying around. In the below pics, the two frames comparing to another saber are compared to the Mace MR in both the color I normally use and in purple for a more direct comparison.

I also mentioned that Varjack was off on holiday and couldn't make the photo. Well, in reality he was in a box and I forgot about him. :( This is another work-in-progress that I'm doing for my father-in-law. The grip is white oak strips with a walnut stain. The slot in the grip allows you to see how full the "fuel cell" is. The pommel unscrews to reveal the bottle.

That is sweet! Seeing fan builds like this makes me even more disappointed in the Prequel lightsabers. When people can do stuff like this, Lucasfilm comes off as extremely lazy for not making individual lightsabers for each of the named Jedi in the movies. (I mean the Jedi council who had variants of the same designs)

BTW, did you ever do an etching tutorial? That is extremely cool!

Seeing this in person, I feel like the Dread Pirate Roberts (Wesley) in the Princess Bride "I have never seen it's equal"

Hi. I've been following your works including this. I very much love the attention to detail.

Just wondering what you'd suggest to dispose of the leftover acid/aluminum solution.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back