Sankara Stone replica (2nd attempt)

LandronArtifact

A few years ago I did a semi-decent Sankara stone, though I was never too satisfied with it. I finally worked on version 2.0.

Here it is in its early stage, with preliminary surface details and scars. The 3 carved lines will be added latter:
IMGA0106.jpg

IMGA0107.jpg

IMGA0108.jpg

This was sculpted out of Das Pronto, an air-hardening compound, one of my favorite materials to work with.

Completed sculpt:
sankara_master01.jpg

After months of this sculpt sitting collecting dust, I finally got around to casting this thing recently. I got the first casting out of the mold and just finished painting it last night. I used Hydrocal gypsum cement for the casting. It's got a really nice heft to it.

sankarastonecomplete01.jpg

sankarastonecomplete02.jpg

sankarastonecomplete03.jpg

sankarastonecomplete04.jpg

sankarastonecomplete05.jpg

sankarastonecomplete06.jpg

-AL

At this time, probably not, unless there was enough interest. The mold material is expensive as hell and finances are tight at the moment. The only reason I actually got around to casting this is to use up the last bit of silicone I had left, which amazingly was the exact amount I needed. Used up every last drop! :lol

-AL

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I wanted to ask some advice about making a few of these.
I have a 6 year old nephew that is crazy about Indiana Jones(Temple of Doom especially), and I invited him over this weekend for a play date with my kid to watch some Indy on our big screen, and so he can check out my collection, and play with my son with all the Indy toys I got him. Basically a fun weekend for the kids.

Well, I thought it would be neat if we tried to make some of the Sankara Stones and wanted to know what material is safe for kids to work with, and possibly something that could be finished in a short time. I read above about the Das Pronto. Is that safe for kids, and is it as "pronto" as the name implies?

Thanks for any help.
Mike

How about A plus B Apoxy Sculpt? It is basically like clay and dries in about an hour. I have promoted it a bunch recently, but I have just been very happy with it.

I've been working with DAS terracotta clay recently and came to the realization that if you build something with much thickness it is going to take a long time for it to dry on the inside.

I've worked with the regular DAS a bit as well, but it has almost always been to "skin" something so I don't know if it will dry quicker than the terracotta or not.

I have got this stone from LandronArtifact and it is really good looking, if you are thinking about getting one, he is the man to get it from ;-) Thanx LandronArtifact.

Resurrecting an ancient thread but nonetheless relevant because I recently retired the old mold and decided to re-tool the master sculpt with a few minor revisions: few more nicks, cracks, surface scratches, and wider carved lines across the front.

ss_2015firstbatchcomplete03.jpg

ss_2015firstbatchcomplete04.jpg

ss_2015firstbatchcomplete02.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back