SANDCRAWLER STUDIO SCALE 3D MODEL

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys...so, along with the Falcon and Star Destroyer models I've recently finished, I have been re-visiting this beloved bus. There doesn't seem to be a really accurate model available to print, so I thought I would get out the ref pics and scour Studio Scale Modellers site to get close to a faithful replica. Most of the kit parts are established so I will post my progress here, as I get through the various sections of the model
Many thanks to Marvin at Industrial Light and Modelling...his model is by far the best out there. Having it to refer to and his help with refs has been invaluable

This is all so I can build a 1/6 scale model in the not too distant future
This is where I'm at; I done the whole model as well as most of the side panelling
SANDCRAWLER2.jpg

And pretty much finished the front faces and top of the nose section
SANDCRAWLER1 (2).jpg

SANDCRAWLER.jpg

Last edited:
You finished the star destroyer?

I missed that! Checking now...

(sand crawler is cool too!) didn’t they use the launch crawler in Florida for close ups of the tracks?

Looking good there! Dimensions look good to me.

If I may, some of the panels on the midsection on the side are thicker than the rest and protrude somewhat on the original.

Also, I see you have mirrored the sides to the non hero side. That side wa sunfinished as you probably know but the aft side section was finished and is different than the hero side. No “pit” on that side.

All looks great. How will you print this? Resin?

Hey Marvin...thanks for your input, you are the master and I the student

Good to know about those panels...will check out the refs.

Yes, I noticed the left, aft side is different at the back so I will change that

I am waiting on an Elegoo Saturn so, yes, I will use that to print the SS model. But I have already printed most of the greeblies for 1/6 scale

Finished panelling the 'Cheeks'
SANDCRAWLER3.jpg

The top of the rear section completed...there's a lot of Saturn 5 on this model

I think the 2 big exhaust port thingies are the same on the original prop but in some of the ref pics the hub cap top has been lost on the left.

SANDCRAWLER4.jpg

Last edited:
Yep those exhaust inserts were a combination of custom and kit parts n the original and the same left to right. Later they replaced the lost left one with a brake disc from a large scale motorcycle kit.

This is so fantastic! I hope that we are rather sooner than later allowed to go up north again for holidays, I have to see your work in person!

Any plans on releasing the 3D model for printing it at 1/18th scale?

This is so fantastic! I hope that we are rather sooner than later allowed to go up north again for holidays, I have to see your work in person!

Any plans on releasing the 3D model for printing it at 1/18th scale?
Yes, I will be releasing the files when I'm done, which will be scaled to Studio Scale, but you can scale them to whatever size you want

So the back panel is now also done...all the fave kits are present...Sealab, Saturn 5, Hawker and Rad 8 and a smattering of AMT parts.
There's plenty of sneaky little parts tucked away but I think I got them all...but I've left off some of the bendy pipes which will be added later
SANDCRAWLER5.jpg

Yes, I will be releasing the files when I'm done, which will be scaled to Studio Scale, but you can scale them to whatever size you want

So the back panel is now also done...all the fave kits are present...Sealab, Saturn 5, Hawker and Rad 8 and a smattering of AMT parts.
There's plenty of sneaky little parts tucked away but I think I got them all...but I've left off some of the bendy pipes which will be added later
View attachment 1452484
Wondrous times that we are living in :love:

View attachment 1452484
Amazing!
Sealab is too difficult to obtain...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back