Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

87sf, Thanks man. Carbon fibre? Not that I know of.

JPH, yes I toyed with that idea but the problem is the sizes of aluminium tubing are too generic for all the different thicknesses of fingers. Best fit is custom and especially for hands, the most challenging and difficult part of the entire suit.

dslinc, thanks man.

SB

sandbagger, you weld, so, you could cut the flat or curved sides to suit your needs.

The suit looks grand! Whatever method you use, I'ma gunna watch :cool

sandbagger, you weld, so, you could cut the flat or curved sides to suit your needs.

The suit looks grand! Whatever method you use, I'ma gunna watch :cool

Thanks man.

I'm now preparing for sculpting the Iron Man gauntlets. I need to cover the cast hands in an even layer of clay before sculpting. Made a clay-cutter out of a couple of strips of 3mm thick aluminium, mounted to a smooth lacquered wooden block and screwed to the bench. A couple of pieces of poly-pipe and some fishing line. Should be able to pack clay in then run the wire along to cut exactly 3mm thick plates of clay.

6UIok8P.jpg

L6NudsV.jpg

6UIok8P.jpg

L6NudsV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's progress. First time using clay like this. Not ideal clay either, but you work with what you've got huh?

Wrapping entire cast in 3mm of clay.

cidziFT.jpg

Hand wrapped.

hv7LIiz.jpg

Under-armour glove details carved in. Drying time then sanding and refine details.

1BKEhAb.jpg

cidziFT.jpg

hv7LIiz.jpg

1BKEhAb.jpg

Patching up cracks and pits in the clay, a bit more sanding. Tedious, but the more time I spend on these the better the cast will come out.

uChxYfQ.jpg

uChxYfQ.jpg

Because I have to cast the aluminium armoured plates for the Iron man hands, I cut down this old bushfire-damaged LPG gas bottle and turned it into a home made foundry. Found the plans online. Whipped this up in an hour and a half.

Just got to line it, fill it with BBQ beads and hook up a long pipe and a hair dryer.

tNrGbkO.jpg

Burning the LPG additive pong out of the home-made foundry. Strong stuff. It's been cut open, degreased and left soaking in turps for days and still stinks up the shed and half the property around it.

I looked up the chemical and it seems that household bleach will oxidise it. I'll finish it off with that tomorrow.

CII4UIf.jpg

Sprayed a smooth coat over the top to stop the next stages sticking to it.

auTG9kx.jpg

Packing the under-curves with plasticine in preparation for the pouring of the mold.

t6vVSkv.jpg

White Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) as a barrier cream to stop the plaster from sticking.

9XeNEcs.jpg

First half of the mold - plaster poured. Tomorrow - the reveal!

ug5YKLT.jpg

Cheers dudes. I'm just fumbling around but I suppose I'm handy... :p

Worked well, but there is a tricky bit or two that I've left a little on the low side that might need filling in before I pour the other half.

1sKBQu1.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back