Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Thanks mate. Still a bit to go before it's done, but I'm going to blacken the blade for authenticity.
2 questions for 2 builds, the blade will you be using sulphur to blacken it?
Now the arm of your Ironman, how is the mobility? Do you have full range of motion or limited?
Lastly, this is badass to the extreme. When I click on your thread, it's like unwrapping a gift. You have an idea what it is, but when you see it- ohhh man love it...GM

2 questions for 2 builds, the blade will you be using sulphur to blacken it?
Now the arm of your Ironman, how is the mobility? Do you have full range of motion or limited?
Lastly, this is badass to the extreme. When I click on your thread, it's like unwrapping a gift. You have an idea what it is, but when you see it- ohhh man love it...GM

I'm going to take it to a professional bladesmithing forge where we have monthly meetings. I'm not sure how they do it so I guess I'll go with their reccomendation. They are the experts.

The arm bends to 90 degrees and the shoulder has full range until I put on the chest piece, then it limits travel towards my chest. I knew that in the beginning and made the decision to accept that. It is what it is. The advantage of foam is that it bends but not the case for steel.

I'm going to take it to a professional bladesmithing forge where we have monthly meetings. I'm not sure how they do it so I guess I'll go with their reccomendation. They are the experts.

The arm bends to 90 degrees and the shoulder has full range until I put on the chest piece, then it limits travel towards my chest. I knew that in the beginning and made the decision to accept that. It is what it is. The advantage of foam is that it bends but not the case for steel.
When I was in school for goldsmithin, we used sulphur to age sterling. Not quite sure for steel. I too expected somewhat a limited range of motion once all assembled. But if it's not to much to ask, once this is complete before paint. A video on the movement would just be awesome. Like walking, posing ect. that would amazing...GM

When I was in school for goldsmithin, we used sulphur to age sterling. Not quite sure for steel. I too expected somewhat a limited range of motion once all assembled. But if it's not to much to ask, once this is complete before paint. A video on the movement would just be awesome. Like walking, posing ect. that would amazing...GM

I'm sure there will be plenty of videos in the months to come. :D

SB

Absolutly blown away by this ! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thank you sir!

Thanks to my friend Shane again, for making such a big effort to be my J.A.R.V.I.S tonight.

The suit was a little easier to move in, but we identified more places for improvement. This time it took an hour to suit up, photo-shoot in every angle, with and without flash, then de-suit. We are getting better!

The gap between the top of the legs and the bottom of the codpiece is much less now which just looks great! The arms now just clip on instead of having to screw together both at the elbows and at the shoulder bells. The trimmed-down neck allows for head movement now bus still needs a little more off it. The cuff on the right arm needs reshaping slightly to get my thumb joint out. Took a little skin off tonight, forgetting that when you heat up, you expand.

Lighting in the chest is fine, but it is quite obvious that the eyes are FAR too bright so will need resistors or a total rethink. Shoulder bells keep slipping below the edge of the shoulder at the torso, so I will be welding on a couple of flat hooks for them to hang off, yet still pivot from.

Back profile - Some big gaps in the armour here to be covered with either coloured foam or shiny red leather layered plates.

The hand plates and the achilles flight-control flaps need spring tensioners to return them to the closed positions once activated.

2nd full suit test fit and walk around. Better. Much better proportions in the legs to torso now.

Walking is OK, need to practice to get used to it but the arm movement is limited. I'm not sure what more I can do to fix that. Might just have to live with it.

WW09LTE.jpg

fam5VNf.jpg

w8oOKOQ.jpg

pv1Uj7a.jpg

5tRl7m9.jpg

Thanks gang. Looking at it now, I'm tempted to chrome it, but when I take into children's hospital wards they may be confused without the classic colours.

SB.

Thanks gang. Looking at it now, I'm tempted to chrome it, but when I take into children's hospital wards they may be confused without the classic colours.

SB.
Did someone say chrome. As a chrome eletroplater I must say that the idea is exciting but expensive...GM

Ya know, electroplating in gold, silver and red tones is not impossible. Maybe even cooler and more durable would be to have the silver, gold and red powder coated!!! Very durable and gives a really cool "real world" shine. There would be no doubt that it was real metal and no other suit would be able to copy the color and look since you are using real steel!

Just my two cents!

P.S. I like the idea of using shiny leather or vinyl for the armor gaps. You don't have a lot of room to fit under the metal and I think the metal will eat foam like it was free! The leather and vinyl would tolerate the stress much better without losing color. Plus it will bend much better without failure. Great build so far!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back