Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

GENTLEMEN!!! Please school me in red and gold electroplating of steel!

SB

Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. Powder coating is mainly used for coating of metals, such as household appliances, aluminium extrusions, drum hardware, and automobile and bicycle parts. Newer technologies allow other materials, such as MDF (medium-density fibreboard), to be powder coated using different methods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating

It is commonly used on automotive wheels and engine parts due to its heat tolerance and durability.

Greekrearrim2.jpg x5wheels.jpg DSCI1637.jpg

Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. Powder coating is mainly used for coating of metals, such as household appliances, aluminium extrusions, drum hardware, and automobile and bicycle parts. Newer technologies allow other materials, such as MDF (medium-density fibreboard), to be powder coated using different methods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating

It is commonly used on automotive wheels and engine parts due to its heat tolerance and durability.

View attachment 490514 View attachment 490513 View attachment 490515

Wow, that actually looks and sounds very good. Being powder-coating it should also go well over body filler, (bog) just as well as the exposed metal surface.

I'm now in touch with a local powdercoating business that I used to work with for a few years when I was a purchasing manager for an interior company.

In the mean time....

Here's two pictures showing the hand plate in the open and closed positions. I still need to refine them, take the inside corner off and pad them underneath, but the hinge will have a switch under it that activates the hand repulsor illumination when it is pushed back by the back of the gauntlet.

There will be a return spring tacked on the inside as well to bring it back to the closed position snug against the back of my hands.

mwwei8H.jpg

MrhVH0k.jpg

Today I had little time during lunch so I just added the toe recesses. I cut the rectangle out of the front of the toes, then made two small trays the same size as the hole about 5mm deep and tapped them in for a snug fit. I then set the MIG to low wire feed and enough juice to penetrate the .95 sheet and fuse them together.

A quick grind and you get the idea. More refined clean-up later.

9FWYc3Q.jpg

Absolutely incredible work, My hat's off to you sir. I really can't wait to see it finished.
Whenever life decides to give me a break; you can bet that I'll be back to building mine again..

Anyway, keep up the great work! You've absolutely earned my respect on several levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely incredible work, My hat's off to you sir. I really can't wait to see it finished.
Whenever life decides to give me a break; you can bet that I'll be back to building mine again..

Anyway, keep up the great work! You've absolutely earned my respect on several levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man. I really would like to see you get that break. Glad to hear you're alive and well though.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to the powdercoaters today with the suit to come up with a plan. Basically because of the filler I need to use to smooth out imperfections and the temperatures required in the Powdercoating ovens, I cant powdercoat and must go to the auto-paint option.

Bummer. He was prepared to powdercoat for free as long as I paid for the powder. :cry

Shaundark and George, I'll figure something out. It's miles away from painting yet anyway so I have time to figure it out.

Thanks Jamie Staff. Looking into the alternatives now.

SB.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back