Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Hey Sandbagger, as an alternative to a plate you may want to look into a adjustable abs system. I don't recall who did it but it's here somewhere...GM
Here is one:
http://www.therpf.com/f78/iron-man-...arm-vids-added-170785/?highlight=flexible+abs
I hope this helps. I thought with metal that the rigidity would comprimise the mobility. But i just love this build...GM

Thanks mate. I've been accepting for a long time of at least a certain amount of limited mobility. That's what you get when you try to make a completely fictional costume into a real thing.

I'll look at that collapsible idea. Thanks.

SB

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted to ask, is the boot's sole bare or is it covered on the underside as well? :) cheers

As the pep file stands, no it doesn't have a bottom in it. However, I am sure my meagre skills will be able to solve this. :)

SB

GAHHH!! I must be exhausted. I spent most of the day in the hot sun on a cabless tractor.

I think it effected my concentration....

This afternoon I got all the way through the second shoulder bell only to realise at the end that I have made half of it the same as the opposite shoulder bell.... got to cut, bend, fold and weld another one all over again! What a waste..

There's the bit at the back that should have been made the other way around.....

ViuMqh1.jpg

ZCuW1Oi.jpg

This is absolutely amazing!
Once the construction phase is done, what will you have to do to prep for paint?
Would powder coating be an option?

Thanks guys.

To grind the welds down I am using an angle grinder with a 40 grit flap disk and a die-grinder with carbide burs. After that it's good old elbow grease, files and sandpaper.

To prep for painting I have some more beating to do, maybe some heating with oxy-acetylene torch then more sanding, some filler and primer.

None of that will happen until I have the whole thing fitted to my body completely, moving parts sorted out and lighting. Finishing and painting will be LAST.

Dude I'm in awe at your awesomeness, Have you considered using mechinised visor that lifts up and closes like in the movies? its very basic ☺

Loving this build SB! I check every night for updates. I have a quick question, I saw in another post that you said you were 186cm tall, I am the same and was wondering what scale you used for your helmet. I need to build a new one to allow room for the face plate mechanism inside. Cheers

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Loving this build SB! I check every night for updates. I have a quick question, I saw in another post that you said you were 186cm tall, I am the same and was wondering what scale you used for your helmet. I need to build a new one to allow room for the face plate mechanism inside. Cheers

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Thanks gang!

TBONE, For the suit, I'm using robo3687's Iron Man MK4 - JFcustom's foam version at the default scale. I have to do some minor adjustments to the waist and cod, but the rest of it fits perfectly. For the helmet, I'm using Sharkhead7854-ironman-helmet-foam-unfold-by-JFcustom and increased it by about 10% I think from memory. If you track back through my thread to where I was making it in cardboard, it's in there somewhere.

SB

EDIT: Found it way back in the thread. I added 15mm to the scale as the default scale was a tight fit with some parts splitting. That 15mm gave me the room I need. I didn't want to add too much otherwise I would look like one of those bobble-heads. (Big head on a small body.)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back