Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Mammoth day today. Went for a drive to pick up some more cold-rolled mild steel sheet, scrounged the local salvage yard and finally found what I was looking for - an old overhead projector. Picked it up for ten bucks. All I want is the lenses.

Once home, I traced out all the parts for the cod-piece and chest/back brace, got a lot of blisters from the aviation snips and a tennis ball sized muscle in my forearm.

I then hacked up the OHP for a swanky new cover on the arc reactor.

x7SN2xU.jpg

kZnYP0K.jpg

hbl64fO.jpg

0bor8HM.jpg

yEddQZ9.jpg

00FBCzG.jpg

uIvOmSr.jpg

I have to say this is one awesome build. Speaking as someone who beats metal with a hammer for a living I know making a suit like this out of metal is no easy task. My lid is off to you sir!

I have to ask have you tried gas welding? You can gas weld Aluminum using a torch and then it hammer forms real nice- you don't have to worry about cracking the weld so much like TIG. It still takes a long time to learn though so I can definitely see why you're using steel- it's just so forgiving to work with.

It still takes a long time to learn though so I can definitely see why you're using steel- it's just so forgiving to work with.

And that was the deciding factor. As a husband and a father with a full-time job, I can't devote as much time as I like to this, so the years it may take me to learn aluminium welding and to get good enough at it to undertake such a mammoth project is just not an option.

Thanks dude!

SB

And that was the deciding factor. As a husband and a father with a full-time job, I can't devote as much time as I like to this, so the years it may take me to learn aluminium welding and to get good enough at it to undertake such a mammoth project is just not an option.

Thanks dude!

SB

As a father of three boys I definitely hear you- LOL!

One thing I will say about welding is that my rule of thumb is that if you can see light through a joint it's not a good enough fit to weld. Having really good miters makes a huge difference regarding the difficulty of welding a joint, especially when TIG welding. MIG can fill a much larger gap as can brass brazing but brazing thin sheet steel can be difficult due to warping since it has such a large heat affected zone. I think the thinnest steel I've brass brazed is .4mm thick. Silver brazing is a lot lower temp but it's expensive and you have to have a very tight fit, just like TIG- the silver brazing alloys flow like water. You can braze Aluminum too, provided you have the right brazing rod for your Aluminum alloy. A torch like a Meco Midget is perfect for brazing Aluminum. Never should have given mine away... I'm personally much better with a torch than with a MIG or TIG.

The big advantage of welding a project like this is that it isn't structural. It's not like building a race car or a highly loaded structure so as long as your welds hold things together during your post weld forming processes you're good to go. It just has to look good! :)

As a father of three boys I definitely hear you- LOL!

One thing I will say about welding is that my rule of thumb is that if you can see light through a joint it's not a good enough fit to weld. Having really good miters makes a huge difference regarding the difficulty of welding a joint, especially when TIG welding. MIG can fill a much larger gap as can brass brazing but brazing thin sheet steel can be difficult due to warping since it has such a large heat affected zone. I think the thinnest steel I've brass brazed is .4mm thick. Silver brazing is a lot lower temp but it's expensive and you have to have a very tight fit, just like TIG- the silver brazing alloys flow like water. You can braze Aluminum too, provided you have the right brazing rod for your Aluminum alloy. A torch like a Meco Midget is perfect for brazing Aluminum. Never should have given mine away... I'm personally much better with a torch than with a MIG or TIG.

The big advantage of welding a project like this is that it isn't structural. It's not like building a race car or a highly loaded structure so as long as your welds hold things together during your post weld forming processes you're good to go. It just has to look good! :)

I think MIG and 0.95 cold-rolled mild steel sheet is the simplest and cheapest option. Thanks for the tips though. :thumbsup

Here's all the bending and folding I got done tonight with a couple of pairs of pliers, gloved hands and the occasional tap with a mallet. So hard to do this quietly at night!

p9UlXeO.jpg

Finally the young bloke is old enough to start learning a trade. Helping dad flatten out some temporary joining plates for the iron man suit and then loading the rivet gun with, "very special green rivets".

hqMk8Ra.jpg

Bending and folding the chest brace to mirror the cardboard prototype. Pop-rivets just holding shape until i weld it up.

1oCtwn3.jpg

Chest brace welded up for the most part. I won't be cleaning it up until I get the back done and fitted.

oB08uDv.jpg

Chest piece loosely fitted over the chest brace with the two collar plates.

S1n936t.jpg

This build just keeps managing to blow me away! If you're ever attending any conventions here in Canberra wearing the suit, I'd love to see it in person!
Although I wouldn't wear mine, yours would put mine to shame! haha. Keep up the great work!

Thanks dudes! Glad you like!

A couple of productive hours after work today. I tack-welded the cod-piece and neck seal together. I have a lot of beating and shaping on some home made dollys to get it all fitting together perfectly, then I'll weld it all up and grind it back neat.

I pre-assembled the main torso parts together to have a look at it all for fit. The old attempt at the abdominal armour in aluminium is going to be scrapped in favour of a more workable and bendable steel one. I'll get on to that this week hopefully.

O14xqjk.jpg

cENEMNh.jpg

uDm5VF9.jpg

Just a suggestion since you using pop rivits...Clecos are cheap...we use them with our racecar builds...they are removable....look them up they are a cheap investment.

-West

Just a suggestion since you using pop rivits...Clecos are cheap...we use them with our racecar builds...they are removable....look them up they are a cheap investment.

-West

Thanks but I'm not using pop-rivets. That abdominal piece is a no-go and will be scrapped in favour of an all steel ab plate.

Thanks but I'm not using pop-rivets. That abdominal piece is a no-go and will be scrapped in favour of an all steel ab plate.
Hey Sandbagger, as an alternative to a plate you may want to look into a adjustable abs system. I don't recall who did it but it's here somewhere...GM
Here is one:
http://www.therpf.com/f78/iron-man-...arm-vids-added-170785/?highlight=flexible+abs
I hope this helps. I thought with metal that the rigidity would comprimise the mobility. But i just love this build...GM

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back