Samurai armor

IMG_20200530_133444.jpgIMG_20200531_134043.jpg
So cutting this wave pattern has proven far more difficult than expected.
I've ordered a scroll saw.
Back at it soon, I hope.

Hello there, JediSauja!
A couple of months ago I was on a Samurai Armouro aswell, and yes, it is very complicated to figure out how to procede and all that stuff. Needless to say that I aborted the mission, but managed to finish the Menpo (the picture on the left)
So far, it is an amazing job! I really liked the Kobakama, and, most definetly, I will be looking forward to this proyect. Ganbatte!

JediSauja san, I would call this a successful project so far and extremely cool to watch.Being intrigued by things related to Japanese/Chinese culture and martial arts in general, I'm enthusiastic to follow your "Journey to the West".
Make no mistake: no matter how modest your skills are in your view, what you are creating here is indeed (cultural related) art and worth watching.
Please keep going and finish this project; it will be awesome and then some.Beautiful so far.Banzai !

Al Hen,

Thanks. It's definitely tedious, but rewarding. I'm jealous of your Menpo. My wife ended up buying me one made for paintball, so once it arrives I'm going to try my first ever molding and casting on it, with a brush-on mold and slush casting in resin. I'm excited and terrified of the thought!

In all of your research, have you found any replicas of any of Toshirô Mifune’s swords from any if his samurai roles, such as his long sword on seven samurai or any of his swords from the samurai trilogy, yojimbo, or sanjuro. If anyone has, im eager to find one

In all of your research, have you found any replicas of any of Toshirô Mifune’s swords from any if his samurai roles, such as his long sword on seven samurai or any of his swords from the samurai trilogy, yojimbo, or sanjuro. If anyone has, im eager to find one
I haven't really been looking for replica swords. I'm more of a larper, my swords are foam latex.

Last edited:
Awesome work so far! Your garments look great. I made a kabuto, do, sode, and kusazuri a few years back for a Samurai Avengers cosplay. I think it turned out okay, but it definitely took more time than I anticipated, so I couldn't get the entire thing together before the deadline.... if I recall correctly, it took me about 30 hours just to lace the things together! Because of my time constraints, I ended up just buying a karate uniform to wear underneath. It worked well enough for my purposes (haha).

I used the same website that you've already mentioned and found that those patterns translate very well to sintra. The sintra is easy enough to form with a heat gun, but be aware that it does not take extreme curves very well, and it will snap if you push it too hard. Also, it's a pain and it takes forever, but adding the reinforced "stitching" under the laces to hold the panels together is very much worth it. I used some thin wire and covered the ends in hot glue on the backside so they wouldn't catch my clothing underneath.

I hope you enjoy the journey!

Awesome work so far! Your garments look great. I made a kabuto, do, sode, and kusazuri a few years back for a Samurai Avengers cosplay. I think it turned out okay, but it definitely took more time than I anticipated, so I couldn't get the entire thing together before the deadline.... if I recall correctly, it took me about 30 hours just to lace the things together! Because of my time constraints, I ended up just buying a karate uniform to wear underneath. It worked well enough for my purposes (haha).

I used the same website that you've already mentioned and found that those patterns translate very well to sintra. The sintra is easy enough to form with a heat gun, but be aware that it does not take extreme curves very well, and it will snap if you push it too hard. Also, it's a pain and it takes forever, but adding the reinforced "stitching" under the laces to hold the panels together is very much worth it. I used some thin wire and covered the ends in hot glue on the backside so they wouldn't catch my clothing underneath.

I hope you enjoy the journey!

Thanks for the info. Do you have any pics of your project? Sounds interesting.

I know I don't owe anyone any explanations, but I feel obliged to explain my lack of progress on this costume.

Procrastination.

Mostly.

Also, I've been helping my buddy with his medieval village. He started it as a birthday event for his daughter when she was six, and it consisted of one building.
IMG_20191012_104604.jpg
IMG_20191012_104622.jpg

10 years later, it's grown considerably and continues to grow every year, and they hold a LARP in the fall (a few weeks away).

IMG_20191012_104634.jpgIMG_20191012_104416.jpgPANO_20191012_104743.jpg

I opened my big mouth and told him the village needs pub that can hold more then two people. So he called me on it and drew this:
TavernConcept.jpg

So before I went to the lake and since I've been back , weekends have been spent in his back yard:
IMG_20200523_144945.jpg
IMG_20200606_210535_01.jpg
IMG_20200606_105855.jpgIMG_20200606_210540_01.jpgIMG_20200606_155849.jpg
IMG_20200607_162147_01.jpg
IMG_20200607_161426.jpgIMG_20200607_185211.jpgIMG_20200614_105432.jpgIMG_20200905_172638.jpg

It's gonna be epic.
IMG_20200913_133456.jpg

So I haven't been idle.

Its a very nice and warm looking village!! I always wondered if samurai could attend to renaissance fairs... :unsure:
Big hug!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back