Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Oh just from Joann. Just some quick fabrics to try to understand how to get the shearling properly installed without a mitered corner or edges etc. going to use the rest to make some mittens for burnishing leather projects after dying them
Ha! Thanks! I thought I recognized that fabric. I'm getting better at this haha. It looks great. The cable color was hard to come by but I was able to find a few yards. Unfortunately my tailor shot it down as being too soft and not suitable for eveyday say use as a collar. Then I found an amazing cotton sherpa fabric which looked incredible and totally SA but that too was deemed too soft for our purposes, even the retailer told me so. The fabric I now have and will likely use pending tailor approval is a stronger less stretchy faux shearling.

I definitely think this is a case of accuracy vs practicality. If I recall the interview correctly, the shearling in the movie was incredibly cheap - around $3 a yard. However, compared to a shearling lined trucker jacket ive had for about 20 years, there is an obvious difference in durability to what is available in most large retailers.

I definitely think this is a case of accuracy vs practicality. If I recall the interview correctly, the shearling in the movie was incredibly cheap - around $3 a yard. However, compared to a shearling lined trucker jacket ive had for about 20 years, there is an obvious difference in durability to what is available in most large retailers.
Agree 100%. The one I have now would strike a happy medium if approved.

Btw all of us are on pins and needles to see what you will do with this officer K coat. Based on your truly remarkable work on yout deckard piece, your version will likely be the most SA coat to date.

Sorry for making you wait.

This is the Sol Angeles Essential Crew t-shirt. Collection ~2014-2015.

1.png

Unfortunately, they no longer release this T-shirt in this color.

But in their instagram in old photos it is.

Currently waiting on my soul revolver order. I was going to hold off until they got better shearling, but they literally told me it could be next month or next year (no guarantees). They're running a 10% off sale currently, and that's money that can go to alterations I figure. Between shifting the collar, padding the shoulders, possible additional magnets and overall sizing I figure replacing the shearling myself is the least intimidating change.

Currently waiting on my soul revolver order. I was going to hold off until they got better shearling, but they literally told me it could be next month or next year (no guarantees). They're running a 10% off sale currently, and that's money that can go to alterations I figure. Between shifting the collar, padding the shoulders, possible additional magnets and overall sizing I figure replacing the shearling myself is the least intimidating change.
Agreed. We dont even know if they will change it.

Hi guys, just a quick post regarding shearling. I've been in touch with Shahrooz who is currently doing an excellent and exhaustive search of decent shearling options. Essentially, from what I can see there are two types of faux shearling available:

-Sheep/lamb variety: usually cropped, dense and stands completely on-end.
-Sherpa/'teddy' variety: softer, slightly longer, clumpier which has some 'drape' or direction. (*SA shearling)

A year and a half ago I kind of lucked out and find a very close match with the camel color 'Golden Rabbit' brand sherpa or 'teddy' style shearling :

1633004453645.png

However, the manufacturer appears to have discontinued this product.

As an alternative, I've noticed there are a lot of women's coats that use this same 'teddy' 'sherpa' material and may be the ideal place to source the shearling to replace the inaccurate shearling on all the K coats currently available.

For example, this knock-off coat on Amazon for $35 looks pretty spot-on.

1633003086251.png

1633003204827.png

1633005269651.png

Last edited:
Hi guys, just a quick post regarding shearling. I've been in touch with Shahrooz who is currently doing an excellent and exhaustive search of decent shearling options. Essentially, from what I can see there are two types of faux shearling available:

-Sherpa/'teddy' variety: softer, slightly longer, clumpier which has some 'drape' or direction. (*SA shearling)

A year and a half ago I kind of lucked out and find a very close match with the camel color 'Golden Rabbit' brand sherpa or 'teddy' style shearling (color :

View attachment 1499422

As an alternative, I've noticed there are a lot of women's coats that use this same 'teddy' 'sherpa' material and may be the ideal place to source the shearling to replace the inaccurate shearling on all the K coats currently available.

View attachment 1499417

View attachment 1499418

View attachment 1499424
Mechanismo is being humble as always - he's been my trusted confidant all along and each step of the way. Trying to find something that everyone here can also order and just overall improve everyone's coat. Mechanismo's fabric is great - sadly, it's almost impossible to find the original and there are lots of fake golden rabbit products, including on Amazon. The coat idea is intriguing and Mechanismo mentioned it to me (again) today. I ordered a coat, not the one that is pictured, but one with higher overall ratings and actual customer photos that show drape, color and quality, so hang tight. Should have it tomorrow and will take it to tailor who says they can deconstruct the coat. fingers crossed the quality will hold up but I'm being cautiously optimistic. unlike the fabrics which I've ordered and returned thus far, this is actually intended for outer wear. so let's see.

A year and a half ago I kind of lucked out and find a very close match with the camel color 'Golden Rabbit' brand sherpa or 'teddy' style shearling :

View attachment 1499422

View attachment 1499417

View attachment 1499418

View attachment 1499424
Team

Mechanismo seems to have hit jackpot with his idea! Just to keep you all posted. The first of two coats arrived yesterday - one I had discovered and the other, which is arriving hopefully today, is the one Mechanismo found in his post above. They are each around 30-35 bucks and let me tell you, after my fairly exhaustive seach, it is thus far the closest thing to SA for drape, color, texture and just overall material. Plus, I can just imagine this would look freaking awesome on the SR coat (or any other for that matter). I have a feeling that the coat M listed in his post might be even better than the found I found which arrived yesterday. I will keep you all posted. If it is, I will ask my tailor to take the coat and deconstruct it and use it as material for replacing SR's godawful carpet shearling. I understand it's great quality but it is the wrong everything (color, drape, texture etc) for this coat and really needs to be replaced. I promised SR to send them a pic of the coat as heavily tailored as I intend to have it done in hopes of inspiring them to produce a coat that could be a lot more SR (not to mention better looking) so that future generations can benefit from our 'hard work' :)

Just got my jacket in. Although this is supposedly the v2 with added magnets, there aren't any on the body of this thing, just on the collar. As a result it puckers when closed. Is this standard for people who own the soul revolver jacket, or is mine an error?

Attachments

• 20211008_110912.jpg
    20211008_110912.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
First of all, congrats. second, correct. no other magnets. sucks but easy to install when you do all the other alterations. dont you like it though othewise? anyway, going to tailor this weekend. not super happy with those two ladies jackets but found one that Im really excited about and if that one is it, will share link of course. hang tight
I like it otherwise, but I owned the big effects props one previously, and they had magnets on the body. I'm wondering if they left them out here so as to minimize their appearance. Entirely possible there was a different jacket used in the film for when K wore it closed.
Unfortunate to hear about the women's jackets still being off--I've got the one Mechanismo posted actively in transit. If nothing else I can show it to the tailor to provide a visual of the type of fur I'm after, maybe they have an alternative in stock.
Any suggestions on recommended magnets to add to the body?

Just got my jacket in. Although this is supposedly the v2 with added magnets, there aren't any on the body of this thing, just on the collar. As a result it puckers when closed. Is this standard for people who own the soul revolver jacket, or is mine an error?
Hey johncarbon1991, I don't own a SR, but from what I'm seeing, you should deffo have some magnet closures along those lapel edges to connect snugly against the opposing magnets on your chest when closing the coat all the way. My WSL did not have this feature either. I had a tailor add these for me...

1633707821475.png

Hey johncarbon1991, I don't own a SR, but from what I'm seeing, you should deffo have some magnet closures along those lapel edges to connect snugly against the opposing magnets on your chest when closing the coat all the way. My WSL did not have this feature either. I had a tailor add these for me...

View attachment 1501671
That's sort of what I'm thinking. Any advice on which ones to buy? I've had a look on Amazon, they all seem either too thick or too long compared to the stock magnets on the collar.

Went to the tailor today. The magnets, shoulder padding are all straightforward enough fixes, although the magnets would be stitched in, and so the stitching would show around the edges of them (the zlurpo coat glued them in, but both the tailor and I have concerns about the glue holding up to long term use.

The shearling is a big what if. I bought the coat mechanismo recommended and brought it with me. The tailor said he can easily use it to install along the collar, but the concern is, being of cheap quality, it'll wear out in about a year. I'd be ok paying for real shearling or something of higher quality, but can't seem to find anything online in the correct drape and color.

The collar is a similar issue for the soul revolver coat. It can technically be shifted, but the only way the tailor sees to do it would leave a visible seam on the back of the neck when the collar is turned up, and to me that seems like too harsh a compromise if the goal is accuracy.

Went to the tailor today. The magnets, shoulder padding are all straightforward enough fixes, although the magnets would be stitched in, and so the stitching would show around the edges of them (the zlurpo coat glued them in, but both the tailor and I have concerns about the glue holding up to long term use.
Sounds like you're on your way! Regarding the magnets, from what I can gather, they really should be sewn into coat itself (and the lapel edges) held in place by stitching. The gluing sounds odd. I had my tailor do this:
1633977612425.png
1633977726576.png

The shearling is a big what if. I bought the coat mechanismo recommended and brought it with me. The tailor said he can easily use it to install along the collar, but the concern is, being of cheap quality, it'll wear out in about a year. I'd be ok paying for real shearling or something of higher quality, but can't seem to find anything online in the correct drape and color.

As I told Shahrooz, on thing to bear in mind is that the SA faux shearling they used in the movie, by its very nature, was cheap. So with that said, personally, I have no problem having to change the shearing every couple years. For what its worth, after one year's regular use, my sherpa shearling only got 'matted' around the unseen parts that rub up against something. i.e. the inside of the collar, etc. The visible parts hold up well. Some pics:

1633979487697.png

1633979561316.png

1633979658045.png

The collar is a similar issue for the soul revolver coat. It can technically be shifted, but the only way the tailor sees to do it would leave a visible seam on the back of the neck when the collar is turned up, and to me that seems like too harsh a compromise if the goal is accuracy.

Just my two cents, the most egregious failure SR (and others) make is the woefully inaccurate (floppy) collar placing and dimensions. Getting this right is what really makes the coat, IMO. So, on balance, having a seam on the back of the collar when lifted up is definitely far less of an issue when it comes to overall SA design of the coat.

Sounds like you're on your way! Regarding the magnets, from what I can gather, they really should be sewn into coat itself (and the lapel edges) held in place by stitching. The gluing sounds odd. I had my tailor do this:
View attachment 1502375View attachment 1502376

As I told Shahrooz, on thing to bear in mind is that the SA faux shearling they used in the movie, by its very nature, was cheap. So with that said, personally, I have no problem having to change the shearing every couple years. For what its worth, after one year's regular use, my sherpa shearling only got 'matted' around the unseen parts that rub up against something. i.e. the inside of the collar, etc. The visible parts hold up well. Some pics:

View attachment 1502383
View attachment 1502384
View attachment 1502385

Just my two cents, the most egregious failure SR (and others) make is the woefully inaccurate (floppy) collar placing and dimensions. Getting this right is what really makes the coat, IMO. So, on balance, having a seam on the back of the collar when lifted up is definitely far less of an issue when it comes to overall SA design of the coat.
Mechanismo, your collar fabric looks, for lack of a better term, thicker than the fabric of the Amazon coat. Could entirely be my imagination. In hand the amazon coat is rather thin (the tailor compared it to a fleece blanket), and I suppose my concern is it looking too flush. On the other hand (thinking out loud here), I can tell you that the SR sherpa isn't terribly thick and already it's uncomfortably thick against my face when the coat is closed (and I have a small head at less than 22 inches circumference). So it's possible that the thinner imitation sherpa might solve that, and result in the collar looking more flush when closed.

As for the magnets, the zlurpo coat glued them inside in order to minimize their appearance. The SR coat has exactly 3 that are edge stitched in--2 along the right side of the collar for it to clip in, and 1 along the left side for when the collar is worn up. In other words, when the coat is fastened, the only thing holding it closed, other than the collar belt, is a single pair of magnets that connect at the very top point. I'm envisioning adding another magnet to the bottom of the collar to help it connect before the belt is fastened and at least another 4 if not 5 along the body. Interestingly enough, the film still you attached seems to show a magnet just below the hook eye enclosure, which to me is probably the place where the coat needs it the least, since on my frame that's below the waist. Your photo is a little blurry, but I'm assuming the edge stitching shows where your magnets are installed?

As for the collar the tailor suggested that the seam in the back would be visible and could be double-stitched and reinforced. I almost wonder if that cut could be invisible stitched from the inside to minimize its appearance. Not a perfect solve, but it helps. In fairness, 9 times out of 10 I'll be wearing the coat with the collar down, so I may be being a tad too neurotic about the seam showing, but this coat is so close to greatness that it bugs me. I owned the zlurpo coat and loved it, and the only element that held me back, aside from having to dye the collar fur, was needing to wax it myself. The SR is the perfect wax finish. I just wish the rest of the pattern was ideal.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back