Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Hi guys,

Since I've been asked about this, I thought I'd made a quick reference chart comparing the various aspects of the current, major coat providers.
Let me preface that I do not own all of these coats and I'm only going on what my eyes tell me, feedback in this forum and my own views. The only area I think I might have something to offer is the custom collar sizing and the shearling material which I'll get into below.
1629037126407.png

(Note regarding coat color: since the movie coat looks very different depending on the lighting and color grading, in my opinion, it’s difficult to say which one of the coats are the most screen accurate in this regard. Barbour-style waxing is a terrific option in terms of giving the coat character and sheen, but also darkens it. )
*EDIT: August 15, 2021: Updated Magnoli changes.

So what is the crucial thing every coat provider gets wrong? The collar. When strapped up/closed, they all tend to ‘smush up’ tightly against the face instead being a looser, funnel-type type fit as seen in the movie. Why does this happen? Because the movie collar is larger, curved and tapered. I.e. it is not just a straight, rectangular piece.

1620838030334.png

**Note that the following two photos below are practically on a 1:1 scale. Aside from the different shape, notice the difference in collar size. This is the clincher.
1620837561816.png

Thoughts on the various coats:

Soul Revolver: their professional photos look terrific and, honestly, go a long way in selling this coat. The stitching especially looks impressive. As with WSL, they would vastly improve their current coat by simply shifting the collar, on the left/short side, slightly further back, to about an inch from the shoulder panel, as clearly illustrated in this photo of the movie coat below:

1620941641394.png

The size of the collar is also more accurate than the other coat providers but, crucially, it is not curved or tapered...it's just a rectangular piece. So, close... but no cigar. Their 'shearling' is pretty dreadful at the moment. It looks like cheap wall-to-wall carpeting. Other considerations: ultimately, IMO the coat is overpriced and only offered in standard sizes only.

Magnoli: Magnoli no doubt makes quality products but, unfortunately, they really did not get this coat right on many levels. I’d call it a nice (and very pricey) “BR2049-inspired” coat, but nowhere near a screen-accurate replica. EDIT/UPDTATE Aug 2021: Magnoli has corrected their collar positioning/placement and enlarged their lapels to be more SA. Their shoulder panels, however, still have issues. The collar dimensions have apparently also been amended, although no pictures of this have been posted to date.

Zlurpo / Big Effects Props: If this coat had the right sherpa shearling and (slightly) enlarged, curved and tapered their collar to SA dimensions, they’d have it pretty much nailed. Pros? The great, competitive price for a custom-made coat and, crucially, they might be able to accommodate custom alterations like collar specs and shearling material.

White Sheep Leather: The coat construction is very durable, (solid and hefty) and they get a lot of things right. Sadly, ‘as is,’ the collar and shearling are way off. Pros? They’re the most inexpensive and also accommodate custom-made specifications. Cons: in my experience, liaising and back-and-forth instructions with WSL in Pakistan was tremendously challenging and frustrating. PM me for more on that if you’re interested.

The winner? On balance, judging on price/quality/accuracy, it has to be Zlurpo-Big Effects. If they agree to alter their current collar, providing them with more screen accurate specs and could somehow source the correct Sherpa-variety shearling, they would have the most SA coat without a doubt IMO.

Anyway, to quote the Dude, this is, like, just my opinion, man.
All the best!

Last edited:
Mechanismo - what a great, thorough and informative post, as always. We are all indebted to you. Hello friends, joining the convo here. Met some of you already, thanks for all the support. I know I'm a bit late to this but great things, like this great movie and the even greater jacket, never get old. A question for all you SoulRevolver owners out there - has anyone actually waxed their jacket? I know some have waxed their WSL and their Zurplo jackets but I have not yet seen anyone here comment that they waxed their SR coat. I know some mentioned that they would do so once received but I'm just curious if anyone actually has. One of the reasons I ask is because as Mechanismo pointed out to me, the SR coat already seems to have a sheen/shiny nature to it. I understand it's 'washed and aged cotton' so perhaps it was treated with something during the washing/aging process. Question is whether the material would actually take to waxing and if so, would it look good? thanks everyone. So glad I found this forum. You guys are generous with your time and knowledge and definitely saved me from making some mistakes. Obviously, I'm leaning toward the SR coat.

Hi guys,

Since I've been asked about this, I thought I'd made a quick reference chart comparing the various aspects of the current, major coat providers.
Let me preface that I do not own all of these coats and I'm only going on what my eyes tell me, feedback in this forum and my own views. The only area I think I might have something to offer is the custom collar sizing and the shearling material which I'll get into below.
View attachment 1457191
(Note regarding coat color: since the movie coat looks very different depending on the lighting and color grading, in my opinion, it’s difficult to say which one of the coats are the most screen accurate in this regard. Barbour-style waxing is a terrific option in terms of giving the coat character and sheen, but also darkens it. )

So what is the crucial thing every coat provider gets wrong? The collar. When strapped up/closed, they all tend to ‘smush up’ tightly against the face instead being a looser, funnel-type type fit as seen in the movie. Why does this happen? Because the movie collar is larger, curved and tapered. I.e. it is not just a straight, rectangular piece.

View attachment 1457205
**Note that the following two photos below are practically on a 1:1 scale. Aside from the different shape, notice the difference in collar size. This is the clincher.
View attachment 1457204
Thoughts on the various coats:

Soul Revolver: their professional photos look terrific and, honestly, go a long way in selling this coat. The stitching especially looks impressive. As with WSL, they would vastly improve their current coat by simply shifting the collar, on the left/short side, slightly further back, to about an inch from the shoulder panel, as clearly illustrated in this photo of the movie coat below:

View attachment 1457667

The size of the collar is also more accurate than the other coat providers but, crucially, it is not curved or tapered...it's just a rectangular piece. So, close... but no cigar. Their 'shearling' is pretty dreadful at the moment. It looks like cheap wall-to-wall carpeting. Other considerations: ultimately, IMO the coat is overpriced and only offered in standard sizes only.

Magnoli: Magnoli no doubt makes quality products but, unfortunately, they really did not get this coat right on many levels. I’d call it a nice (and very pricey) “BR2049-inspired” coat, but nowhere near a screen-accurate replica.

Zlurpo / Big Effects Props: If this coat had the right sherpa shearling and (slightly) enlarged, curved and tapered their collar to SA dimensions, they’d have it pretty much nailed. Pros? The great, competitive price for a custom-made coat and, crucially, they might be able to accommodate custom alterations like collar specs and shearling material.

White Sheep Leather: The coat construction is very durable, (solid and hefty) and they get a lot of things right. Sadly, ‘as is,’ the collar and shearling are way off. Pros? They’re the most inexpensive and also accommodate custom-made specifications. Cons: in my experience, liaising and back-and-forth instructions with WSL in Pakistan was tremendously challenging and frustrating. PM me for more on that if you’re interested.

The winner? On balance, judging on price/quality/accuracy, it has to be Zlurpo-Big Effects. If they agree to alter their current collar, providing them with more screen accurate specs and could somehow source the correct Sherpa-variety shearling, they would have the most SA coat without a doubt IMO.

Anyway, to quote the Dude, this is, like, just my opinion, man.
All the best!
Great post man. The colour chart is a great visual aid in breaking down each supplier. Thank you for going to that effort.

Great post man. The colour chart is a great visual aid in breaking down each supplier. Thank you for going to that effort.
Agree 100%. He is a scholar and a gentleman - the time it took to put that together?! Everyone who's considering their options, including yours truly, owes him a debt of gratitude. I disagree slightly with the conclusion - I actually think WSL but only WITH Mechanismo's significant modifications, is the most SA and best looking coat followed very, very closely by SR. In fact, SR would be the clear winner in my book BUT for that fur collar - is that carpet?! I think Magnoli and Z both have significant short comings (still all four are clearly better than the abominations you can find on Amazon, ebay etc). just my 2 cents.

Hi folks,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking into pulling the trigger on the Soul Revolver coat. I'm looking less for a costume piece and more for something practical for fall/winter wear (east coast resident); I'm not a costumer, I just really dig K's style overall.
Wondering a couple things for people who have purchased this one...
-I'm a size 41 in the chest, sort of in between medium and large, but muscular. Soul revolver recommended I go with the size Large. Are their sizes akin to American sizing, or are they a slim European cut? I just don't want it to be swimming on me.
-The collar fur looks, well, ugly to me, but it is real shearling, which I sort of assume at least feels more comfortable than the imitation stuff. I've asked over email and they've given me a firm no on replacing it with anything with a different texture. Is there a recommended shearling that I could have the soul revolver fur replaced with that would be fashionable as well as functional? I want something closer to K's look in the film, but I'm hoping for a fabric that feels quality as opposed to cheap/scratchy (rather than just looking accurate). For that matter, has anyone here replaced the fur on their soul revolver coat, and if so, was it an easy job for a tailor?

Hi folks,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking into pulling the trigger on the Soul Revolver coat. I'm looking less for a costume piece and more for something practical for fall/winter wear (east coast resident); I'm not a costumer, I just really dig K's style overall.
Wondering a couple things for people who have purchased this one...
-I'm a size 41 in the chest, sort of in between medium and large, but muscular. Soul revolver recommended I go with the size Large. Are their sizes akin to American sizing, or are they a slim European cut? I just don't want it to be swimming on me.
-The collar fur looks, well, ugly to me, but it is real shearling, which I sort of assume at least feels more comfortable than the imitation stuff. I've asked over email and they've given me a firm no on replacing it with anything with a different texture. Is there a recommended shearling that I could have the soul revolver fur replaced with that would be fashionable as well as functional? I want something closer to K's look in the film, but I'm hoping for a fabric that feels quality as opposed to cheap/scratchy (rather than just looking accurate). For that matter, has anyone here replaced the fur on their soul revolver coat, and if so, was it an easy job for a tailor?
Hi John,
I have some semi-recent posts about the shearling issue on the previous pages. I replaced the shearling on my WSL coat. Regarding Soul Revolver, the problem is that we've yet to see proper photos of someone actually wearing the the Soul Revolver coat (other than their model). I think that would give us all a better sense of the overall tailoring and fit of the coat. As far as I know, all their coats are 'off the rack' and they will not do any sort of alterations. But this, of course, is something you can get a local tailor to do.

Hi John,
I have some semi-recent posts about the shearling issue on the previous pages. I replaced the shearling on my WSL coat. Regarding Soul Revolver, the problem is that we've yet to see proper photos of someone actually wearing the the Soul Revolver coat (other than their model). I think that would give us all a better sense of the overall tailoring and fit of the coat. As far as I know, all their coats are 'off the rack' and they will not do any sort of alterations. But this, of course, is something you can get a local tailor to do.
Appreciate the help, will have a look through the thread.
Would love any photos of anyone wearing their soul revolver coats if anyone has them!

Last edited:
People post you wearing your Soul Revolver coats, c’mon! Lol.

I keep debating buying their coat. As Mechanismo said with it being an off-the-rack item their measurements are right on point with most my coats. Which is pretty surprising considering I’m an odd size.

Obviously I’d love to see someone wearing theirs to get an idea but I either way, I really do like their coat.

I’m kind of mid-point of a Soul Revolver purchase. For reference, I’m 183 cm tall (six feet), 109 cm around the chest (43 inches), and usually wear size 31inch jeans/trousers. I run about 77kg (about 170 lbs). I gave my measurements to SR and they heavily recommended I buy the XXL which turned out to be massive on me. I sent it back and I’m currently waiting on my replacement size L.

I’m kind of mid-point of a Soul Revolver purchase. For reference, I’m 183 cm tall (six feet), 109 cm around the chest (43 inches), and usually wear size 31inch jeans/trousers. I run about 77kg (about 170 lbs). I gave my measurements to SR and they heavily recommended I buy the XXL which turned out to be massive on me. I sent it back and I’m currently waiting on my replacement size L.
They insisted on XXL with those specs? That makes zero sense... Let us know when your new coat arrives!

They insisted on XXL with those specs? That makes zero sense... Let us know when your new coat arrives!
Yup, the person I was dealing with assured me that a L wouldn’t fit my 43 inch chest. The generic size guide on the SR website lists L as fitting 40-42, XL as 41-43 (which I was told would be skin tight), and XXL as 43-45 which I was told I would need. I was sceptical but accepted the advice given. The XXL was indeed way too big for me. I’ve asked for a size L even though the SR rep keeps telling me that it won’t fit me….we’ll see.

You get what you ask for when ordering custom tailored clothing guys.

My Magnoli bought back in 2018 is still my daily winter coat.

The collar is nice and big, when up is has a great shape and is defiantly not 'smushed against my face'

View attachment 1481833
Is that the stock magnoli with custom measurements, or is it additionally modified? Id swear that's an entirely different color from other pics I've seen but I know color grading can be iffy.

I'm sorry, not trying to throw shade or be negative, but the Magnoli coat does not even compare to the Soul Revolver. So to knock the SR because it is not "custom" made is wrong. The Magnoli coat is Blade Runner inspired - as Mechanismo has now pointed out repeatedly in this thread, it just misses the mark too many times to be an actual BR coat. I'd say it's like a (waxed) cotton coat from Barbour with some DNA from the Blade Runner coat. It's "inspired" by it. The SR coat is an actual attempt to produce a user-friendly, screen accurate coat. Mine just arrived this week and is actually semi-custom made. No, they wont get your measurements and produce it for you, but as someone else already pointed out, their sizing is pretty solid, you just have to do your due diligence to pick the right size. As for the material, it is simply stunning. The color is about as SA as possible - they used washed, aged cotton and then layered it with acrylic to produce that leather-like effect that Rene April was talking about in her interviews. The aging shows through and through. The only thing that is "off" is the shearling which is unfortunate because unlike Magnoli and all others, SR uses actual (expensive) sheepskin. it's just the wrong drape and color. I will post pictures soon and will also post pics when I get the fur replaced with camel color sherpa.

As for the sizing ...scottypavarotti.. I have no idea why SeAnn would recommend XXL for you based on those measurements. That's way off. However, I dont think the L is the right size for you, either. Mine is an L and Im a size 40. If you are 6 ft, 43 size chest, you're going to want the XL. the L will be too tight for you. Mine is already at the cusp of being too tight. It's ok with a T shirt but with a sweater I can feel the tightness in the chest and in the arms when I raise them. it still looks good and will likely stretch a bit and an XL would be way too much tailoring for me but for you, I would re-consider. just my 2 cents.

Yup, the person I was dealing with assured me that a L wouldn’t fit my 43 inch chest. The generic size guide on the SR website lists L as fitting 40-42, XL as 41-43 (which I was told would be skin tight), and XXL as 43-45 which I was told I would need. I was sceptical but accepted the advice given. The XXL was indeed way too big for me. I’ve asked for a size L even though the SR rep keeps telling me that it won’t fit me….we’ll see.
she is right. L is not the right size for you.

People post you wearing your Soul Revolver coats, c’mon! Lol.

I keep debating buying their coat. As Mechanismo said with it being an off-the-rack item their measurements are right on point with most my coats. Which is pretty surprising considering I’m an odd size.

Obviously I’d love to see someone wearing theirs to get an idea but I either way, I really do like their coat.
you will NOT regret it. It took me 2 months to decide and dozens of emails with their rep who is very patient (but misses the mark on sizing a bit as she thinks we all want that super tight European look) but now that I have it..man, it is freaking amazing. I am just blown away and would have to agree with all those who have commented in the past 2+ years on how amazing it is. and yes i will post pics, promise, both before and after a few alterations I have to do (shorten sleeve, replace fur).

Is that the stock magnoli with custom measurements, or is it additionally modified? Id swear that's an entirely different color from other pics I've seen but I know color grading can be iffy.

Ok, I was pretty nervous about spending a good chunk of money when buying this coat, so I did send some additional instructions with my measurements.

Black - waxed cotton
Dark Brown 'fur', like his leather coat (on his website)
subtle lettering on the back
Measurement for neck opening when collar is up - circumference 30inch (on the outside to leave room for the fur thickness)
Measurement for neck opening when collar is up - Height, shoulder to nose is about 6.5 inch
Try to avoid having the collar look like a funnel when up, would rather it is more straight, like a cylinder.

I have a bunch of pictures posted earlier in this thread, navigate to page 33 and my posts from when i received the coat start there, then go on through to page 36.

Granted I went for some personal choices rather than screen accurate, most noticeably the dark brown 'fur'. This was always intended to be a wearable coat (and still is), rather than a screen accurate display piece. I have lost count the compliments i have received on it from people, with may coming from people who don't even know its a BR coat, they just think its a great looking and interesting piece of clothing.

Ok, I was pretty nervous about spending a good chunk of money when buying this coat, so I did send some additional instructions with my measurements.

Black - waxed cotton
Dark Brown 'fur', like his leather coat (on his website)
subtle lettering on the back
Measurement for neck opening when collar is up - circumference 30inch (on the outside to leave room for the fur thickness)
Measurement for neck opening when collar is up - Height, shoulder to nose is about 6.5 inch
Try to avoid having the collar look like a funnel when up, would rather it is more straight, like a cylinder.

I have a bunch of pictures posted earlier in this thread, navigate to page 33 and my posts from when i received the coat start there, then go on through to page 36.

Granted I went for some personal choices rather than screen accurate, most noticeably the dark brown 'fur'. This was always intended to be a wearable coat (and still is), rather than a screen accurate display piece. I have lost count the compliments i have received on it from people, with may coming from people who don't even know its a BR coat, they just think its a great looking and interesting piece of clothing.
Hi! Thanks for those details. Interesting. Do you think you could spread your coat on a table and take some fotos of the custom coat collar itself?

Like I've mentioned earlier, no doubt Magnoli makes quality products and the coat is obviously a solid garment and looks terrific.

The main problem I see is, if you're a company with Magnoli's acumen/reputation and you're going to design an alleged BR 2049 coat 'replica,' you really must go the extra mile (like they do with their Indy offerings for example) to get it bang on. They simply did not do this, which is lazy and even a little infuriating, especially given the premium price they charge for it. It would be great if Magnoli went back to the drawing board and fixed all the glaring non-SA issues the coat has. It's a missed opportunity IMO.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back