Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT - Updating jacket and boots with leather!!

Re: Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT WIP- COMPLETE!!- Lots of pics

More photos for fun!

DSC_2380.jpg

You did such a fabulous job. Thank you for sharing the creative progress and the struggles and the hard work you put into researching and making it happen. He looks perfect for the part, too; I love the pose!

Look at you! :love You look beautiful! I would never have known you rushed through it. You have mad sewing skills.

I think there were a couple of women in Germany or somewhere who did actually make an accurate replica of the dress, even hand embroidering it and all... Took them forever.

I'm dying to see a close up of the crown! That was something I could never even get close to right.

Thanks!! Ugh, I'm so sad we couldn't get to SDCC this year!! There is a OUAT panel on Sat and it would have been brilliant to have him as Rumpel that day. Super bummed but what can you do. Hopefully OUAT is just as big next year so we can re wear this costume next year with just as much hype. Then next year I can also do a Belle costume to go with it.

Hahahah that crown!!!! I made that thing in like a day lol and it's held together with hot glue. I didn't have access to some of my materials and patterns for a day so I went to Michaels for something else and then grabbed some jewelry making material for this crown to see what I could do. It's no where near as delicate as the real one is but overall I was ok with it. The mirror pin on the front is even worse. Nice thing about being rushed is after a while you just don't care anymore and just want something resembling the items hehhee.

I still need to take the legit studio photos of this costume (hopefully this weekend) but I wanted to share this photo taken by a friend as it's so much fun!

7485362656_4bec43b35d_k.jpg

Wow!! This is amazing! The swirls on the jacket, the croc skin.. everything. Can't believe all the work that went into it - and then having time to make yourself a dress too! Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations through the build, I learned so much from this thread.

Apropos of nothing, I stumbled onto your website while looking for information on taking measurements the other day. I had a moment of "wait, this name is familiar..." before I realized :)

The OUAT panel was neat. They had a funny "Singlebrooke" commercial like Match.com, and then showed a teaser for the new big-bad next season. Convinced the BF to start watching the show with me next season!

Apropos of nothing, I stumbled onto your website while looking for information on taking measurements the other day. I had a moment of "wait, this name is familiar..." before I realized :)

The OUAT panel was neat. They had a funny "Singlebrooke" commercial like Match.com, and then showed a teaser for the new big-bad next season. Convinced the BF to start watching the show with me next season!

Hahahaha! Yeah, my measurement and how to lace a corset section on my website are some of the highest ranking for those search terms and also out of my website. Apparently not to many people do a really clear/detailed explanation of stuff like that on their sites. I need to add some more measurements and maybe one day retake the photos with better lighting and backdrop.

I watched the teaser trailer today for the second season! So excited!!

I just started watching ONCE, this is FABULOUS. you did such a great job, and your boy suits the job really well.

Thanks!! I definitely have more plans for this costume! I'm going to be remaking the coat out of actual leather and alter the pattern so it fits a bit slimmer and I'm also going to remake the boot tops out of real leather this time too. Plus I'm going to make a belle to go with him. I'm thinking of doing the gold dress since it's a bit more fun and regal to wear to the masquerade ball in L.A. I can't wait to really perfect it and get some high quality photos of it!

So there isn't much to show right now except the fabric that I bought!! I am updating this costume so that the jacket is more up to my standards as I really just threw that thing together and am really not happy with it. So!!! Here is all the leather!!!

DSC_0634-1_zps2deea85f.jpg

I have 4 espresso brown pigskin hides for his main jacket and I have that dark cherry brown mottled upholstery leather hide for his cuffs on his jacket and leggings. Then the black is so I can redo his leggings out of real leather.

Some other changes are I will spray down is fake leather vest with either a matte black or just a c;ear spray that will make it not so shiny. I haven't decided yet. I will probably get better leather thongs to lace up his vest as those ones are really stiff and come undone to easily and also hang really stiff on the bottom where they're tied.

And his leggins are most defintiely laced up with elastic so that way he can have them tight but be able to bend his legs so that also will be done.

I also got a silk charmeuse to redo his shirt so that way almost all of his costume his made from nice fabrics. I also noticed that his cuffs I did were wrong. He actually has a long cuff that the ruffle is attached to and not just an elastic wrist to form the ruffle.

So yeah!! I'm super excited!!

And the most exciting thing is I figured out what's going on with his coat!!! It isn't paint or glue or something burned onto his coat to make those swirls at all, it's leather strips that are glued and sewn onto it. You can see where the swirls really go back on themselves that the strips lift up or curl on themselves and there is a stitching line you can see really clearly on one of my photos if you are able to zoom all the way into it. I noticed it when I printed the photo out and it printed out larger then it usually is on my screen. So that won't be fun but at least I know for sure what it is.

Hopefully I'll be able to update somewhat regularly but with the baby it's still up and down.

So I'm skipping ahead here but I finally got some more progress done on the updated jacket!!! I have other WIP pics of the jacket in stages but I'll post those later. For now here are the back panels and one side panel sewn together with the sewn on leather strips for swirls and painted with rubber cement.

733814_10200852033122606_2032094015_n_zps1de06d87.jpg

I know I haven;t updated in a while but I've been getting some Rumple inquiries so I thought I should stop in and say Hi here!

A few more shots of the jacket progress. I ran out of hide so I have to go get 2 more tomorrow to do the arms. I think once the arms are on and I finish off the edges that this jacket is really going to come together.

Anyone know of a good way to distress and wear down pig skin suede?

554895_10200878627427447_1629626783_n_zpsa9cdb492.jpg

576684_10200878599426747_893797727_n_zpsed4a4f8f.jpg

486604_10200878600146765_1091327486_n_zps42c5371c.jpg

Also I'm thinking about selling my original pleather vest, burgundy shirt and maybe even throw in the boot toppers and the jacket. The shirt and vest are pretty good in shape but the jacket could use some work as it isn't truly finished (still needs more liquid latex swirls, buttons were glued on, no sleeve lining but there is main jacket lining). Would anyone be interested in them? Mostly I'd like to get my material cost back and maybe a tiny bit of labor. Like I said, the vest and shirt are in good shape and even the boot toppers are pretty decent made. It's mostly the jacket that would need some creativity if you wanted it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

It's looking beautiful! The rubber cement is an interesting technique - how did you come up with that? I haven't used that stuff since art school. haha!

It's looking beautiful! The rubber cement is an interesting technique - how did you come up with that? I haven't used that stuff since art school. haha!

Lol! It was the only thing I could think of that would really dry clear and help the strips stick down a bit and also be flexible enough to be used on a garment. It also wasn't as messy as liquid latex.

I've got a bit more done on the jacket as well! Still need to finish the weathering on the main jacket, even the hemline out, get some buttons for it and sew the croc collar down but almost there!!!

205342_10200913564420850_104270062_n_zps0479022b.jpg

228968_10200913571541028_1042670575_n_zps2ee8d066.jpg

320542_10200913561500777_1918968171_n_zps85f0c640.jpg

409203_10200913563540828_429887058_n_zps6976e437.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back