Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT - Updating jacket and boots with leather!!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Eveningarwen, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Eveningarwen

Eveningarwen Well-Known Member

****another edit!! 5/28/2013*****
    So these costumes still aren't finished but they're pretty dang close!!! One of these days they will be done enough to put into the showcase section hahahahha! But for now enjoy these photos!

AND A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO RPF USER FAILLE FOR LASER CUTTING OUT MY CROC VEST!!!!! SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now the slew of photos. I'd warn you all in the headline but I can't seem to edit it anymore. Sorrrryyyyyy....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*****edit 05/20/2013

So I'm updating even more with my Belle costume that will go with Rumple! I would have edited the title of this thread to show that info but for some reason I can't seem to??? But yeah, here is my Belle dress so far and also my blue contacts! They look good without the flash but with flash is when that unnatural hue tends to come through. But hopefully when I do my makeup for real and my hair that will help blend the color a bit. Plus they really enhance the actress Emelie De Ravin's eyes (which are already a wild color blue) so hopefully it still goes.

Without flash:

[​IMG]

With Flash:

[​IMG]

Beginning of Belle dress hanging out with new Rumple costume jacket:

[​IMG]

Starting to work on the beading/hand sewing around the collar area. This is going to take time and probably wont be finished for the sat event but I'm going to try my hardest:

[​IMG]

A more full view of the WIP dress:

[​IMG]

I'm going to put this at the end of this thread as well just in case anyone may miss it here and because I will continue my updates from that point on as well.

*****edit 01/21/2013*****

I have decided to update this costume to put a bit more time and perfection into the materials and the styling. So I will be redoing the jacket and boot spats out of leather and the pirate shirt out of silk. I will also be adjusting his makeup and he will have contacts when we do the studio photos of this costume when it's finished. If you go to the last page the updated comment there has a photo of the leather and everything else I will be changing.

****edit*****

So the costume is finished! I still need to take more pro photos of the costume to really show off some of the detail and have a more controlled environment but here are some photos from the masquerade ball that we went to!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I'm making this costume for my fiance because apparently no matter how hard I try to make him a "normal" costume, I see something like this character and I get all giddy. I'm pretty sure he's becoming concerned about how attracted I am to the "creepy" characters lol! So here is the costume I'm going to aim for:

[​IMG]

Here's a cleaner view of his under costume which I will be replicating some of. The costume above has the jacket so I wont be doing the sleeves on his vest or the high collar since his jacket already has a high collar. I also will be doing leather pants instead of the burgundy pants since the costume above has leather pants.

[​IMG]

Here's another really good view of his under outfit:

[​IMG]

Right now I'm trying to focus on his shoes:
    [​IMG]

I'm having a hard time finding the perfect shape. All the boots I've found do not lace up so I would have to cut a "tongue" for the shoe and punch in holes on the sides. The few that do lace up don't come high enough up the leg. None of them seem to have as pointy of a toe and the ones that do have a pointy toe have a really weird heel. I've tried looking up dress, shoes, womens shoes, cowboy boots, ankle boots, demi boots, shoes in general.....I've looked up snake skin, snake print, snake boots, alligator and crocodile print and skin and the list goes on. I don't have $400 to spend on shoes, I'm looking for $100 preferably. Here are some shoes I've found but Im still unsure:

Giorgio Brutini

I'll have to cut into it^^ and the toe isn't as pointy as I need. It's a bit shiny but it's real snakeskin so I hope I could "mattify" it if needed. This seems to be my best option.

I found these but the pattern isn't as stand out as I would like and again I'd have to cut into them.
    Mens Vintage CUBAN HEEL SNAKESKIN Pointy Shoes / by Flipsville

I'm finding stuff like these shoes but they're really all wrong:

Giorgio Brutini Exotic Dress Men Snake Skin Shoes 15522 | eBay

What would some of you do? Does anyone know of a better place to hunt for shoes like these? Does anyone know of any cobblers that would be able to make the shoes??? I would be willing to spend a bit more money on something like that probably but again our funds are a bit limited. Would some of you perfectionist be happy with that first option I mentioned even though it's not "ideal" but seems to be as close as I can get in ANY budget.

I already know I'm going to use this stuff to do the collar of the jacket. I'll have to soak it and mold it in shape and then I will dye it to be two toned like his is. I still can't tell if it should be black and brown or some form of dark brown and red?? Yeah I haven't gotten that far yet lol!:
    Tandy Leather Factory - Impressions Embossed Cowhide Sides Gator Print

If anyone has any ideas for other aspects of the costume or has cleaner shots of things like his jacket that would be awesome! I have an event at the end of June that I plan on wearing my Evil Queen from Mirror Mirror (I haven't forgotten about that thread just been super super busy with other folks costume orders) and my fiance will wear this costume. I figure they're both fairy tales and still fit in a weird way. I'm just not the evil queen from the tv show lol.

Also here is my fiance (badmonkey on here) who will be going as Rumple....I think he's going to pull it off brilliantly! So excited!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. MaulWalker

MaulWalker Sr Member

Re: Rumpelstiltskin Costume - Once Upon a Time

Great character and even greater costume!

Looking at the shoe closeup, I think the buckled strap is hiding the laces. The point of the arrow where you indicate "no laces" appears to point to an empty lacing hole. These same dimples appear on both shoes. I am wondering if the costume designers started lacing the shoes on the next hole up?

Lynn

3. MaulWalker

MaulWalker Sr Member

Looking again at the close up, I think they are ankle high lace up boots. The dimples I mentioned in the above post go all the way to the top. It appears to me that the costume designers ran a leather thong through the lacing holes on each side using a running stitch. The leggings are laced over the top of the boots to hold the boot tops in place. (The same way my Blackfoot leggings are worn over the tops of my moccasins.) Typically, the boot tongue would be as tall as the boot. This one could have been cut down.

Lynn

4. Eveningarwen

Oh yeah I saw the lacing holes. What I meant to say was that the boots were lace up boots as evidence of the lacing holes. As far as I can tell there are absolutely no laces in the boots because the shoe is being held together by that added arch strap and the "leggings" that go over the top of the ankle boot and are laced up.

What's funny is you're right, the lacing is most likely a leather strip but when I first saw it the thing that came to my mind was elastic lol! I don't know why but it really looks like black elastic to me because there seemed to be a grain in it that repeated like elastic does. But leather straps make much more sense.

My problem with the boots just seems to be finding any snake or lizard print boot that actually laces up so I can just take the laces out. They all seem to be slip ons with elastic on the sides and I'll have to cut out my own "tongue" for the shoe and punch holes in the side pieces. I just worry that that will weaken the shoe and start to tear further down. I'm unsure.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this whole shoe process lol!

5. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Can't wait to see the progress on this! My boyfriend and I are expecting to do Graham and the Hensel and Gretel Evil Queen costume, hopefully this year!

6. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

That is a cool costume! Per the boots--a toe that pointed is called a needle toe.
    Nocona Caiman Tail Western Boots - Needle Toe *149 sizes!*

My conjecture is that it's a cut down western boot, with the center front part left tall to become the tongue. Then that laced up legging part is made and the lower part of it is attached to the boot, glued around the back and up on top of the boot where you point to that there is no lacing, it doesn't look like the boot and the legging are separate parts to me?? Then that belt strap part is buckled around the instep.

Maybe you could find an old pair of boots at a thrift shop or garage sale and do some experimenting. You could use some heavy fabric (hopefully also from the thrift store) to practice making the legging part that could later serve as your pattern for doing it in leather.

Shylaah

7. Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades Active Member

I applaud you for attempting this project and I look forward to your progress! The first thing I noticed was how awesome the costumes were. Particularly Rumpelstiltskin and Charming's. Midas' daughter had a pretty cool costume too in the last episode. I plan on doing SOMETHING from this show, though I'm not quite sure which yet. Good luck!

P.S. Where are you finding these hi res pics?!

8. ironspider

ironspider New Member

such an easy build just basic costuming check out sum thrift shops for the snake skin boots then just spray the black and thre rest is pleather made to look like snake skin good luyck n yes ur man will look perfect

9. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

10. MaskMaker

MaskMaker Active Member

Can't do shoes, but Tandy Leather carries ostritch leg skins which will be * near perfect for the under sleeves. They are finished white so they can be dyed any color. I thought they were alligator until I read their sign. Very nice looking.

11. PetiteAltesse

PetiteAltesse Active Member

I agree with you. I think he'll model your costume perfectly. This looks amazing. Can't wait to see the ending result.

12. cepaul518

cepaul518 New Member

Hi, I just had to reply and say what an awesome idea this is :D I'm doing a female version of the costume and just bought these at DSW:

http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/264023596874528775_7Qj2lyYr_c.jpg

You're right, it's hard as hell to find the right kind of boot. Even the ones I got aren't quite pointy enough, but they're seriously the closest I've been able to find thus far. I've looked everywhere. I figured I'd better * these up while I can, in case I never find anything better.

They might have something similar for men at DSW? Other than that, I think those Cuban shoes on Etsy would work great. I can't wait to see how this turns out either!

PS: Rumpelstiltskin is sexy as hell.

13. Edwardowan

Edwardowan Sr Member

Love that show and Rumple is my favorite character! I am so envious that you are making that costume! I have followed some of your other costume threads (oh, see how I did that?!) and if anyone can pull of Rumple's costume you can! He will be a huge hit at cons wearing that!!! :thumbsup

14. aelynn000

aelynn000 Well-Known Member

i disagree. having seen eveningarwens works in progress and attention to detail in everything she makes ( and doing some research on this costume myself ) i think it's going to be a well suited challenge! and if anyone's up to it, it's her!

i'm so excited to watch this thread and your work progress!! and yes, he's totally going to suit the role to a T. my bf has a longer face but i'll have to work some wig magic to try to give the illusion of something else.

arwen, try looking up winklepicker shoes ( don't even ask how i came across that term...'cause i have NO IDEA...but it totally sounds like something Rumplestiltskin would wear, doesn't it!? )! here's a shot of some vintage ones...

[​IMG]

unfortunately the odds of finding anything that similar now seems minimal, but there are some pretty close shapes that with some TLC might be workable ( and at a lower price point than a lot of other options )!

15. ironspider

ironspider New Member

like i said thrift stores and vintage shops

16. Darth Mule

Darth Mule Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I feel like suggesting that you look at women's shoes. Which could be problematic if your guy has big feet (The size conversion is 1.5-2 sizes up, so if he wears a 10 mens, he'd wear a 11.5-12 womens). Those shots look like Carlyle has some tiny dogs and that shape almost looks like a stylized granny boot, so it's a distinct possibility.

It also looks like a lot of his leather is synthetic. But could just be lighting.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Been wanting to see someone do this costume. In general I love the show, but I think the costume design is completely awful with the exception of Rumple (whose I love)...
    The queen's are absolutely laughable.

17. Eveningarwen

Wow. I don't know why I would have never thought of that but I'm so glad you put that link there. I sent him a message and he replied and directed me exactly to where I needed to go. The boots were custom but this designer has basically the same shoe. I'm pretty sure we just bought the last pair in existence and thank God they were in his size. Here they are:

[​IMG]

And we are now $200 poorer lol! But I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely love that you know that name! Lol! I want to buy those shoes just because of the name hahahahah!

18. Eveningarwen

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to really publicly put who the designer is so if you would like to know just message me and I'll tell you. Although I really am pretty sure that was one of the last pairs.

19. Eveningarwen

Right!?!?! He really is.

20. MaulWalker

MaulWalker Sr Member

He is rather on the small side. He was the small guy in "The Full Monty"

21. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

When you get the costume done, you should send a pic to the designer & show him! I'm sure he'd be happy to see his work is appreciated so much.

22. Eveningarwen

We did indeed have to go with womens boots. Also luckily my guy does have small feet (he's a size 9 in mens) and the last pair that they had and were on sale were womens 10.5. It was like fate.

Also according to the designer the leggings are alligator or crocodile skin so I wouldn't be surprised if the rest is true leather as well. Same goes with the collar on his coat which looks like it needs to be wet molded leather and the arms on his under vest. You can see the pieces running down his arm are most definitely alligator/crocodile tails with those pointy ridges on top. I've yet to see any pleather replica fabric that accurate.

Funnily enough I actually really enjoy the costumes. Some of them are a bit on the extreme/silly side but some of them I absolutely adore. I feel like the design is trying to figure out what works and what doesn't since it's in the first year. If you look at some of the extras in the background there is some stunning costumes there. And I find about half of the queens costume to be quite impressive and fun. I do have an issue with some of the hairstyles in fairytale land. Some of them have a bit to much "prom hair" going on. The updoes get a bit juvenile and to "perfect" looking. I love everyone's hair and look in the real world though.

23. Shendorion

Shendorion Well-Known Member

It might be easier and less expensive to get some thin tooling leather and tool the scales and scutes in. For the vest panels, it'd just be a matter of transferring the scale pattern (you could play with the sliders of a stained glass filter in Photoshop to get a very similar pattern) and cutting along the lines with a swivel knife.

The gloves might be a little trickier, but I'll bet you could get one really thin piece for backing, cut a matching piece slightly wider, and carve in the lines that separate the scales. Then run a thin stripe of contact cement up the center of the flesh side of the carved piece, and fold it together to make the ridge of scutes. Rewet the leather, use a bone folder to press down one side of each section of the ridge so the scutes are rasied on one side and then glue the whole thing down to your backing piece so the ridge doesn't pull apart when it's laced on.

It's lots of work, but it might be easier than sourcing the exact scale pattern you need. It would also be a way to guarantee a good color match by dying and finishing the pieces yourself.

24. Eveningarwen

MY SHOES ARE HEEEEEEEERREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!! It's been a really stressful day lol and these were a nice little present! Also, side note, they smell amazing and they're super soft.

Here they are with their cuff flipped up like Rumple has:

[​IMG]

Front view:

[​IMG]

Front and Back:

[​IMG]

Closeup of what I thought were lacing holes but was actually saddle stitching:

[​IMG]

And with the buckle undone so you can see the tongue underneath:

[​IMG]

And obligatory photo of me wearing them because I'm that excited:

[​IMG]

Hopefully for anyone who attempts this costume and decides to try and go all out on the shoes or have them made or just wants to get as close as possible can use these photos to help. I know they're just shoes and most everyone else will never notice but to me they're now my fav part of the whole costume ahhahaha!

25. Laamberry

Laamberry Well-Known Member

EXCELLLLLENT!! Those look amazing :D

26. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

That is just sooo * cool. Congrats on such a great little treasure!!

Shylaah

27. aelynn000

Gwah!!! So excited to see this come together! It's build like what I know yours is going to be that totally inspire me!

28. Eveningarwen

So the next step I'm going to take is the collar and the coat. Right now I'm focusing mainly on the collar but there are elements of his shirt and collar that I wanted to point out to others in case it's helpful. Unfortunately the pictures are pretty much non existent for Rumple right now for this outfit so I have to use different pics for each detail. So LOTS of pics coming up.....sooooorrrryyy......BUT! They were really helpful to me so hopefully they will be helpful to others attempting this.

First off:
    He wears elements of all his outfits in different orders. I'm going to stick with trying to be as accurate as possible to the Cinderella storyline version. Which means his shirt is just the basic red with a high collar.

[​IMG]

Some of the other photos I'm using for his jacket are from the episode about Prince Charming and his background because they're the only shots of Rumple during the day time where I can get a good look at his collar and jacket. Sort of. But you'll notice he has a different shirt. It's red and mottled with gold. This image also shows that his collar has the gator ridges down the bottom.............lots of curse words later I still haven't decided what to do about that. I just can't afford all that alligator skin lol. I may try and wet mold some ridges in there. We shall see.

[​IMG]

This photo shows some of the shirt collar detail that I found interesting for that particular shirt and also some info on the collar that I thought might or might not be accurate. If anyone looks at the photo and thinks that my comments or observations are off please let me know. I'm not super familiar with working with leather so it could be something completely different.

**Edit** I just realized the most obvious reason is because you want the print to show on both sides. Im dumb lol. But I still hold true to my gusset statement on the 2nd photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These next two shots so the side and back of the collar. It seems that the collar needs to be from leather that is thin enough to double up so you see the print on both sides and also so it can be handstitched down onto the jacket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the back it looks like the collar is actually cut up the back and then rough stitched together. There may even be another gusset at top to form a V or it may just be the molding and creasing of the leather.
    Wish the photo was better in focus lol.

[​IMG]

So this is my research on the collar. Hopefully tomorrow I'm going to go and buy the leather and then I'll start working it in whenever I have a free moment. This is definitely going to be a bit of a slower going project at the immediate moment but once I get some work finished off I should be able to focus more on this solely.

Also hopefully nobody minds the fact that I'm putting all my research into this build thread. You have to start somewhere and I tend to find that the research is what decides whether or not your costume goes from being average to amazing. It's easy to slap something together that seems impressive and another to actually go slow and take the time to ACTUALLY make your costume impressive. Just my 2 cents on how I go about creating items.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, this is where I'm getting the images from:
    1x06- The Shepherd - Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold Image (27435306) - Fanpop

Hopefully it's all good that I'm using them here.

29. Eveningarwen

Re: Rumpelstiltskin- NEED LEATHERWORKING HELP!!-PIC HEAVY!!

So I'm looking up crocodile skins for the collar on the jacket. I was originally going to use printed cowhide buuuuut now with those ridges we may just try the actual gator skin.

Problem.

Where do I find undyed gator skins with the tails included since I need the ridges?

Can I wet mold gator skin in order to create that stand up collar? Do I need to wet mold it or will glue and the two hides glued together do it for me?

I've never worked with an exotic leather before so I'm completely out of my waters. I don't want to buy two skins only to find out I can't use them.

Oh and if I can't buy undyed will I be able to darken an already dyed skin?

If someone could help that would be amazing!!!!! This is something that I really need to think about.

30. aelynn000

:|

i admire you.

sort of.

I admire your dedication as an artist to accuracy and as a person to dedicate those finances to this bad boy! it's going to look INCREDIBLE! also admire your ability to take up what is, to me, a terrifying new skill. YOU GO GIRL!!!!! i just became 10000000000x more interested in watching you!

i said 'sort of' 'cause i'm one of those hypocritical animal people. i love animals but i eat steak. i own leather shoes and a jacket but i won't touch anything exotic...or anything i don't eat. but mainly, i'm just freaking terrified of running scissors through the skin of a creature. EEEEEEEEK!!! GAH.

I'll be sticking with $15/m textured vinyl for my boys. >_>

Depending on HOW financially invested you are in it... you can get a full hide with the horned back like his here... that's actually one of the cheapest ones on ebay...

gwah... i think i'm going to faint. @_@

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  31. Eveningarwen

Lol I'm actually right there with you on the animal thing. I really don't like working with leather and I won't go near furs. Maybe it's hypocritical but I'm kinda like........crocodiles aren't cuddly so I don't feel asssssss bad but I still feel pretty bad. I also feel bad about cows and leather. But this costume is just impossible to do as accurate as possible without it having those ridges and that texture. I'm stuck in this weird conundrum of what to do. I figure the difficult of acheiving the shape with an exotic skin may help me sway my decision.

And we would need 2 of those hides so I know that I'm not that financially invested lol. $700 is a lot for just the collar. I'm hoping maybe I can piece some together or just use an already dyed smaller hide for $150 and get two of those.

On the upside I found this brilliant faux leather for the body part of the vest. I'm going to order a sample to confirm the coloring as I don't want it to be silver. It looks black in the photo but the term alloy means silver soooooo I'm a bit worried about that. But the red tinge in the cracks is dead on as is the pattern!

Lithium Alloy

32. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The way I see it, people eat a LOT of beef. Not making leather would be a waste of the leftovers. As far as lambskin goes, though, you've got me there. I have no justification for that, except that lambskin is amazing.

I'd be happy to help with any leather questions you want to throw my way.

33. Eveningarwen

My main concern is do you think that collar has been wet molded, partially wet molded or just stiffened with some glue on the other side since it's two hides with wrong sides together.

Since it's alligator skin is alligator skin safe to wet mold? I've read that alligator skin can be damaged with water so I'm unsure.

And do you think that if I bought a pre dyed skin that I would be able to go over it with a darker dye or would it not take?

For example what if I bought this hide right here:

Genuine Caiman Horn Back Skin Red and Black L

34. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't say for sure when it comes to alligator, but most leather hides are chrome tanned, which means they won't take incredibly well to wet-forming. That being said, if somebody at a Tandy, etc. tells you it's absolutely impossible, you can't just take their word for it. You would most likely be able to form that hide a bit, if it's done right. You'll want to pick up some leather weld. So you cut the hide open where those gussets will be inserted and you sew them in to the outside and the facing separately. Depending on the thickness of the hide, you may have to hand sew it, but your machine might work. That alone should get it to basically the correct shape, but if you want it to have a little bit more flare you can soak those parts in cool water and gently pull them as they dry, so as not to break your stitching. Depending on the hide, the results will vary. To get them to hold their shape, cover the wrong sides of both pieces with a coat of leather weld, slap them together, and then work it from one end around with your hands so that it's shaped how you want it. When the leather weld dries, it adds some stiffness and holds those pieces exactly where you want them. Another way to describe it is kind of like when you pull two pieces of fabric through a machine, one more than the other, to make them curl in one direction. You'd basically be doing that with glue instead of thread.

Let me know if I did a crap job of explaining that and I'll see if I can't do better when I'm more awake. Also, if there are any scraps of that hide you don't want or need for the project, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.

Oh, and as for the dying, a little bit of acetone will strip any leather finish and allow you to add more dye to it. In this case though you might just want to try hitting it with some black shoe polish. And lastly, from the looks of things you're going to need 3 gator skins, one for each side (gussets stolen from the removed outer edge at the shoulders), and one for the inside facing, cut in half down the middle. I would recommend you drop by Sav-Mor Leather under the 10 freeway if you haven't already. It looks like a soup kitchen from the outside, but they're by far the best place to buy leather hides.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  35. Shendorion

Shendorion Well-Known Member

Whether or not you can safely wet shape the hides is probably going to depend on where you get them. Ask your vendor, and if they can't answer your questions about the product find another vendor! There's a lot to be said for knowing exactly what you're buying, and exotics can vary in quality and process almost as much as cowhide. I've heard good things about OstrichMarket.com, but I've never bought from them so salt to taste.

From the pictures it looks as if they're using the complex curves of the hide to help define the shape of the collar. See how the outside edges of the hides are scalloped in at the top of the coat's shoulders (you can see it in the 5th picture in your last post) to form a narrow yoke that comes to a point? I think that cut defines where the gator's hind leg was cut out, and they use part of the other hind leg to form the curved back of the collar. If you follow the stitch up the center of the yoke, you can just make out what looks like a split where they stitched in a triangular bit to flatten out the curve past where it would fold down on a regular coat. You may find that once you've lined up the hides and laid them properly, you can do what little shaping needs to be done in the front as you cement the liner to the inside of the collar pieces without having to wet them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  36. Eveningarwen

Awesome! That's sort of what I was thinking as well! And I'll definitely try out that acetone for stripping the coating in order to redye it a bit. Like I mentioned, hopefully I'll just need to buy a reddish skin and then get something like shoe polish or the like and go over it to darken the edges and a little bit in the middle.

I've also contacted the company that was mentioned above so I'll see what they come back with in a reply. I'll have to check out the sav mor leather place as well.

37. Eveningarwen

So quick update. I got the samples in finally for the vest. I was a little sad because the whole piece will be more alligator looking allover as opposed to just the little boxes like in his vest but overall I still think it's the best I'm going to find. Also the pleather is a liiiiiiiiiitle bit to dark dark brown/black as opposed to black black. With the reddish "trenches" as well that doesn't help the color. I have the sample next to another black croc pleather sample for the leg coverings and the blacks are just to different. I think I'll take some vinyl shoe dye and rub it over the pleather and see if it takes and helps darken it a bit while leaving the "trenches" that still really nice reddish color.

I took the photo outdoors to give a true representation of the color and then put it next to him so you can compare and see the similarities and differences. But honestly I've looked everywhere and unless you want to spend over $1000 to $2000 alone on croc leather for all aspects of his costume then something somewhere has got to give. At least for this year lol!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. pwrofbauer

pwrofbauer Active Member

Loving this build and your research so far! Those samples look great!

39. Norbert

Norbert Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I would find Rumpelstiltskin gold shirt he wore in "Hat Trick"?

40. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

41. Eveningarwen

Was Rumple or even Mr. Gold in that episode?? I'm trying to think back and I don't remember when or if he was.

42. Eveningarwen

Oh wow! I'm not sure we are going to 1) have time to do the dagger or 2) be able to do the dagger for reals out of metal or anything like that if we did.

But we really would love to have that extra bit for the costume. Are you planning on doing a run of the daggers when you finish it or is it going to be a one off thing only?

43. Norbert

Norbert Well-Known Member

Eveningarwen: it must be the show before that. It the show where Rumpelstiltskin bottles love.

44. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Planning on sticking it in a mold once I'm done and casting a few for those who want them.

45. Eveningarwen

The show where he bottles love is "Hearts of Darkness" and these are really the only two photos I found of him in the show online.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if either of those shirts are the ones you mean but if it's part of Rumpelstiltskins costume I can probably pretty much guarantee they were made for the show. Whether the team of seamstresses for the show made them or if they hired someone similar like me (someone with an online business doing costumes) and that person made them. These aren't really shirts that you would pick up from your local pirate store or something I don't think lol!

There's to many weird details like the leather piping on the bottom gold shirt and the notched collar on the other shirt that I posted much earlier.

I know that the vest, jacket, collar, shirt and boot leggings are going to be made by myself. The only thing bought will be the shoes which I got and probably the leather pants. It's not that I couldn't make the pants but you barely see them in the costume I'm doing and it will just save some time and money to get cheap leather or pleather pants from someplace like ebay.

46. Eveningarwen

I would definitely be interested so long as I still have money by then lol! This costume is deceptively expensive to do hahahaha!

Any chance it would be done before the beg of June??

47. groone

groone Well-Known Member

To be honest with you, I don't think this is one piece...well...I think it is a smooth piece with individual squares glued on to give the pattern. I say this because of the depth between the squares is pretty deep and there are replicated square shapes.

48. groone

groone Well-Known Member

oops, just realized the date...you're probably way past that part. sorry.

49. Eveningarwen

Lol actually I'm not. I still need to order that fabric.

I get what you're saying about glued on pieces buuuuuuuuuttt......ehhhhhh.... I'm not sure. I think it's more likely to be a solid piece of leather that has been laser cut as opposed to glued on. The pieces just look way to even and flat for it to be glued on top to me. Also the pleather piece that I have that matches somewhat has pretty deep grooves so it could be pleather although I really don't see why when everything else is actual leather.

Either way hahaha I'm not gluing down a bunch of little squares. I'm still pretty happy with the sample I have and think it will work pretty well.

I could try and ask the designer again lol but I'm trying to hold off asking to many questions until I absolutely have no other option.

50. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Kind of blown away by this project. AMAZING you found those exact boots!!!