rubber grip material, not bought

Star Wars Man

alright i am making a anh stormtrooper blaster, and the rubber grips at the front, i cant buy them, i am 12, my parents, credit card...long story, but could i make them or buy something similar? when i say buy i mean from the store

Long before I heard of the RPF and was making my hardware graflex(same stuff for the blaster) I walked around store looking for material that has a T for a cross-section. At K-mart I found a rubber floor mat(I think for van/truck) That had grooves. If you cut the grooves out leaving a space on either side you will have a T cross-section. The are tough to cut evenly but you can use a sander to make them even.

Another thing to think about is alot of people here will eccept a Postal money order. If you have the cash you can get one and they only cost $1.00. Grip material is relativly cheep for the quality you get. $5.00 a foot I believe from(sorry for the spelling) blast-tech. I recomend Contacting him and see if he will accept a MO.

If you want to make an accurate representation of the movie prop, then you'll really want to get the rubber grips. If your parents won't agree to using the credit card, then contact Blast Tech via email. They might accept another form of payment (such as a money order), but you won't know until you ask. Be polite, explaine the situation, and see if they will be willing to work with you on your predicament.

If you want you want to make a representation of an E-11 blaster with out regard for the way the movie prop was built, then anything goes. It's my understanding that the "fins" around the barrel houseing are supposed to be heat sinks and not grips, so it would not make much sense to construct them out of rubber (They would need to a material with heat conduction properties, metal or some "Sci-Fi material") You might make them out of thick plastic (styrene or sintra). You could even make them out of strips of wood.

For what it's worth, windshield wipers was a good suggestion. Not an exact amtch, but readily available.

dude...

you are 12 and building an E-11?

:thumbsup

thats awesome bro, show us some pics when your done...

Originally posted by Star Wars Man@Jan 11 2006, 05:34 PM
alright i am making a anh stormtrooper blaster, and the rubber grips at the front, i cant buy them, i am 12, my parents, credit card...long story, but could i make them or buy something similar? when i say buy i mean from the store
[snapback]1156470[/snapback]​

srry, also, my mom, she is like, thinks everyone on the web is gonna rape me, so i cant contact some guy on the web, now i know blast tech owns, but...my mom...and dad... i think windsheild wiper will be good...o ya and i ordered a dremel 400 xpr on tuesday, with 2 day shipping, i am thinking friday, then i will be able to get cracking...

Check out this thread at BBC for a cheap alternative: http://www.imperial-fleet.com/bbcforum/vie...light=reflector

Btw, it will not be easy to drill the receiver holes with a dremel, because only very small drill bits fit in them. You need a power drill for that.. unless you widen the hole after drilling, with a round file or something but that would take a bit of time and the result would not be as good.
I would advice against widening holes by moving a smaller drill around in the hole - that could pull the drill bit out of the chuck.

Originally posted by oldken+Jan 11 2006, 07:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oldken @ Jan 11 2006, 07:38 PM)</div>
dude...

you are 12 and building an E-11?

:thumbsup

thats awesome bro, show us some pics when your done...

<!--QuoteBegin-Star Wars Man
@Jan 11 2006, 05:34 PM
[snapback]1156470[/snapback]​
[snapback]1156574[/snapback]​
[/b]

thanx, wow u made my day.... :D

and o ya, my dremel, is within 250 miles.... and scheduled to be delivered on...friday..... rockin out.

Originally posted by Star Wars Man@Jan 12 2006, 10:21 AM
srry, also, my mom, she is like, thinks everyone on the web is gonna rape me, so i cant contact some guy on the web
[snapback]1156596[/snapback]​
LOL. So they won't let you email one guy, but they let you post on a forum potentially filled with hundreds of deviants ready to lure you away into the night and have their wicked way with you? Sorry, but that's fantastic. Ignorance is the world's best comedy.

To the topic at hand, as has been mentioned, the BBC is definately where you want to go if you are making a home-brew E-11. Their templates should give you everything you need. You should be able to get all the parts from a local hardware store. If you can't get rubber strips, you could try metal U channel. I've seen that used before.

Kudos to you for building your own blaster. Here's an idea for the t-rails. Hobby store basswood section. Get a piece of 1/2 inch by 1/16th inch, and a piece of 1/8 by 1/8th inch basswood. [don't use balsa wood, it's too soft]. Then glue the two strips of wood together in the 'T' shape. The result is pretty effective. Now, the strips of basswood won't poke down into the holes on the blaster, but it does make an effective alternative, and it looks pretty decent to boot:

4.jpg

Listen, grown men who can't let go of their childhoods and collect toys are hardly deviants. Now I'm off to my Neverland Ranch to watch Star Wars :p

Originally posted by Jimbo890@Jan 12 2006, 09:22 AM
Kudos to you for building your own blaster. Here's an idea for the t-rails. Hobby store basswood section. Get a piece of 1/2 inch by 1/16th inch, and a piece of 1/8 by 1/8th inch basswood. [don't use balsa wood, it's too soft]. Then glue the two strips of wood together in the 'T' shape. The result is pretty effective. Now, the strips of basswood won't poke down into the holes on the blaster, but it does make an effective alternative, and it looks pretty decent to boot:

4.jpg

[snapback]1156948[/snapback]​

nice, very smart, not bad...or course it wont tuck below, but the plastic things wont either...well gluing it...idk...i am not good at super precision stuff like that, so if it isnt straight, i will kill myself, know what i am saying? and good one cayman shen

update on my dremel...

RICHMOND, VA, US 01/12/2006 10:12 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
01/12/2006 6:09 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

it is in the air.....i think it should be in pittsburgh by now...

Hey Little man.. sorry, SW man.

What are you building the blaster out of? Do you need to have Rubber grips?

I think I have some plastic vac formed ones still laying around from a kit I once had. ( I used grip from Viper instead). The are correct length (depending if you are winging it, or using dimentions of an actual Sterling).. and they also "fold in" so to speak, so they'll tuck into the holes.. again, assuming you are going off real measurements.

If I still have those... do you want them? Save yourself the hassles..You don't have to email me or send me anything so your mom won't be concerned..... just PM me with your name/address/ info.

Joe

Congrats on your dremel. :thumbsup

It's a more elegant multitool for a more civilised age. You've just taken your first steps into a larger propmaking world. ;)

I look forward to seeing progress pics of your E-11, good luck with the project Star Wars Man.

Regards

Al

I find it odd that someone would talk of building a replica prop on this forum instead of debating it's provenance. :D

Yes, research is very important but it's refreshing to see someone so young being bit by the prop building bug.

Star Wars Man, I expect to see progress photos of your fruits of that new Dremel.

Oh, and I share your excitment on the Dremel....I got a new one for Father's Day last year.

got it...it isnt that great...but nice, it says dont run the cut off wheel over 4 on plastic...so...and sometimes, like...idk...it like...when i turn it...it like...sputters and stops, i turn it off, straighten it out...turn it on, and it works...but it is weird...o well i havent read the manual yet

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back