RS Props "Dave M helmet"

welshwarrior123

Hey Guys,
Been working on this the last 2 days in between commissions. Ever since I saw the Dave M helmet, I always wanted a replica of one. I thought the visible HDPE, dirt and marks looked awesome. And was far more attractive than a clean fresh off the rack stormie lid.

Firstly if any of you havent got a RS lid, your missing out. This is now the pride of my collection. I built a stormy lid before, but that only involved cutting the frown and eyes out, so to start cutting this piece of history up was one of the scariest things ive ever done. Rob was kind enough to mark the ears up for me, and im glad he did as well. cheers for that :thumbsup

So here it is all assembled and cut out. I tried to replicate the way the Dave M helmets eyes were cut out. Everything is just loosely put together for this shot.

DSCF3128.jpg

DSCF3129.jpg

DSCF3132.jpg

I then took her apart and sanded out all the little bumps present on the dome and primered it....just kidding.
I did give it a very very light coat of primer to try and help the next layer bite into it more, yet I didnt want to lose any of the details. I then airbrushed on humbrol 73 to get that lovely brown HDPE lood.

DSCF3133.jpg

DSCF3136.jpg

DSCF3142.jpg

Then using the reference photos of the Dave M helmet, I then went and applied masking fluid to the spots I wanted the "HDPE" to show through.

DSCF3144.jpg

And here is where it stands today. I hit it with some white, and removed the masking fluid. Gave the helmet a quick go over with some 0000 steel wool, and have started to paint out the grey section. Ignore them for now as they need a few more coats.

DSCF3150.jpg

DSCF3153.jpg

DSCF3156.jpg

DSCF3157.jpg

DSCF3161.jpg

Don't know now when I'll start this back up again, hopefully in the next two weeks. I still need to whether the thing with blacks and brown, and put on all the fine marks and scratches. Everything is going to be hand painted minus the tube strips. Im also going to put the elastic strap hanging down with the stud on it, then into the display case it goes.

Just got to try and stop myself wanting to buy the whole suit now :lol
What do you guys think?

Ps....100th post :)

Welsh

Cheers guys. I'm really pleased with it at present. Like I said I've still got to weather it, but I'll wait till I've got the tube stripes on for that.

And I know what you mean, there is just something about the stormtrooper that is just so appealing. I've got it in a cabinet and every time I come in the room I cant help but glance at it.

Went ahead and did some more on this while in between commissions. I repainted all the grey areas with the correct grey, the previous grey was a little to dark. I also went and painted the vocoder and hovi mics. Also applied most of the weathering and aging. It was difficult to stop it looking like a sandtrooper but in real life it looks much better. Also added some of the red and black marks over the helmet as well.

DSCF3190.jpg

DSCF3192.jpg

DSCF3195.jpg

DSCF3197.jpg

DSCF3198.jpg

DSCF3199.jpg

Waiting on the tube stripes which will be stickers, and the lens material. Leaving the ears till later and it still needs a few spots of weathering here an there but the most part is done. Contemplating whether I should crumple and crease the lens material like the dave lid of keep it as is.

Welsh

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah Ive been thinking of using hot glue to create the bumps and paint over it. Much more control in that than actually getting real drips with paint. I dunno yet though I'm going to see how it looks when its all done.

I have to concur with the above comment. With the helmet looking so good you really don't want to be using stickers.

If it's of any help, you can obtain stencils here to assist in painting the tube stripes.

That looks spot on! I agree that painting the tube stripes would be better but I can understand the reservation to do it as it is not easy.

Looks cool - beaten up or weathered stuff always looks so much better than the clinical pristine look, especially on stormtrooper helmets.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back